What are peoples opinion of Olight brand lights.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
I am curious if that is part of the reason they seem to pushing it so hard. Other than forcing you to have to buy batteries from them. I agree with Tasky that from what I can tell from their design they appear to be safer. I am honestly fine with it as long as the battery lasts.
It's probably part of the reason, as forcing you to use Olight's own 'known source' cells means they'll have some degree of eliminating people using random substandard ones, or at least have more control over their accountability.
Safer in regards to the plastic ring around the + but still a bit odd to my mind, having both poles at the same end.
I believe someone confirmed the Olight 18650s as being Samsung 30Qs, which suggests they'll last the same.

But really, we seem quite happy to use proprietary rechargable batteries in our laptops and mobile phones and cameras and radios... With many new phones, you can't even yank the battery if the thing seizes.
The only reason for most people to use standard/common cells in a torch is if they already have some of that particular kind.

But hey, at least we have a choice.

parang

Newly Enlightened
Back when I was not into flashlights I bought a few i3E AAA lights for key chains and a copper AA i5T. I was not impressed, but they were adequate.
I stopped myself from buying any of their more serious lights and decided to abandon Olight for their marketing methods, for being overpriced. and for using proprietary tech. It doesn't feel like too much fun when I am locked in in a proprietary ecosystem.
I started exploring other lights and I feel good about my decision.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I used an s2r baton at work for 1 year straight and it was flawless and worked perfect. I'll have to post pictures. It's so beat up it's crazy.

I just picked up an i5t rod in green and it's been great so far.

I tend to gravitate towards other lights and brands, but make no mistake....olight makes a solid well built light that will work great for you.

MX421

Enlightened
I have a few Olight flashlights, the oldest being a S30 titanium i got quite awhile back. They are okay lights and it still works fine to this day and finds itself in the EDC rotaation every so often. Still, its slightly a bit longer than the Zebralights i generally EDC.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for one infinitelly variable magneting ring + forward clickie Olightlight

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Because?

Reasons are helpful.

Chris

- Because of all the reasons mentioned already, and they strike me as dishonest, especially with their aggressive marketing spam and all the low-post-count shills posting pics of empty boxes and giving peoples details away so they can win a free $20 light, I couldn`t support any "business" like that.

- I don`t like any of their designs either, it`s almost like they`re trying to rip off Zebralight (I`m not a fan of Zebralights designs either).

- they have No taste whatsoever! in Emitter tint, temp or CRI

- the magnetic charger that (accidentally) turns the light on melting the all too often plastic lens.

- the same charger that shorts out!

- deliberately locking you into their ecosphere for no good reason beyond greed.

- Try modding one, then tell me you like them ;)

These are just a few of my reasons, most are just personal which is why I didn`t consider it worth sharing originally, (if you can`t say anything nice... and all that).

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
and all the low-post-count shills posting pics of empty boxes and giving peoples details away so they can win a free $20 light, I couldn`t support any "business" like that.
I haven't heard about this before... Can you tell me more about it, Katherine?
PM is fine, if you don't want to take up thread space.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
hang about on Reddit r/flashlight for a while, you`ll encounter them ;)
Though there`s a lot less now than there used to be, even 6 months ago (we`re onto them! LOL)

Yates

Newly Enlightened
They keep changing their lights all the time, by the time I get round to buying one, the model is gone. Turns out they only made 10,000 units.

It's also a fan club, if you happen to buy certain serial numbers like 9999 or 12345, you get a prize. So everyone rushes to buy, which creates scarcity and high prices.

You keep seeing sellers trying to offload complete collections on auction sites.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I have never paid enough attention to all the stuff you guys are referring to. I also never gave them a second glance until my buddy came over and pulled out his s2r to look at something. I was highly impressed with the output vs size of the light. It is very simple to use and takes a serious beating. I've never encountered an issues with the charging cable turning the light on or melting any components. I've also run non olight 18650's in it. And although you can't use the provided charging cable, it worked fine.

mtasquared

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to better flashlights, but I just a bought an Olight R50 for my wife's car. It is heavy for its small size and well-machined. I thought the blue collar around the lens was a decorative feature she might appreciate. It has a microUSB charging port on the tail with a rubber cap that snaps in pretty tightly. The USB port is the Achilles heel probably of the design. I feel it is too easy to damage in a knock-about environment like a car console tray.

As an aside, I feel 2500 lumens is good but more might possibly be better for this application. I might upgrade to a Lumintop FW21 for about the same price that outputs maximum 10K lumen. Besides that, I am ok with the Olight purchase so far.

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one a few years ago was an S30 Baton ordered a PVD coated Ti one cause I thought it looked and sounded good received a sandblasted same model it worked for a few days then did nothing. Sent it back under warranty it has been working fine since. Carried it for some time have no complaints about it. What I like about it is it will use an 18650 or 2 123 cells. Since it was fixed I am guessing it got personal attention and may be trustworthy. also have several of the aaa lights that they put out in early years one a ti Christmas version that the pcb come out of when changing the battery one time. they seem to be as someone said the apple of flashlights always something new.
Chris

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an sr mini intimidator I bought years ago that is still running fine and dandy. I don't know about the newer stuff but that one has done me well. I bought ALL of the batons that came out but sold the whole collection

Yates

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to retract somewhat from my earlier posts, as I was referring to the Olight brand, not the lights.

Olight lights = very nice and pricey.

Olight brand = read the thread.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
hang about on Reddit r/flashlight for a while, you`ll encounter them ;)
Though there`s a lot less now than there used to be, even 6 months ago (we`re onto them! LOL)

What, people on forums are giving out other people's personal data in order to get a free torch??
How does that even work? Is that not a broad daylight breach of data protection, or have I not understood the whole story?

Yates

Newly Enlightened
More like email addresses being shared, for Olight to send spammy emails in comic sans.

colin.p

Newly Enlightened
Good customer service and ease of communicating with them is high on my list of reasons for purchasing from a company. Warranty that is a real warranty is also high on my list.

I have 3 Olights that I bought 2 1/2 years ago, that truth be told, I bought because I saw an advertisement somewhere and they looked cool. I bought the i1r first, closely followed by the i3t (that is truly my EDC along with a SAK Recruit) and then a couple months later, the m2r. For two years I had absolutely no issues with any of them whatsoever until last fall when my m2r started to have issues. I contacted Olight CS and sent them a video showing what it was doing, or the lack thereof. They felt it was the battery of which they sent me a replacement at no charge (ther warranty doesn't cover batteries but they sent me one out for free anyway). Unfortunately, that didn't fix the issue and sent them another video so they sent me out a new m2r. All of that took less than a month and I have an extra battery and a new light for no cost to me.

That tells me that, silly complaints aside, they did right by me and I am a customer who highly values that. Granted, I am no flash-o-holic by any stretch, and have no real pressing need for more lights (have a knife buying obsession as it is), but you can bet that if/when I need another light, Olight will be at or next to the top of the list.

Cruzzer08

Newly Enlightened
I like the i3E and the i5T for AA/AAA, but avoid everything they offer with proprietary batteries.

This is right, nice bright pen lights, short battery life. I have a few diffrent rechargeables, nice spread but a bit cooler light then I like. I use the prerun 2 (90 degree/headlamp) the most, it works well but I hate that when it dies I can't just swap the battery and get back on task. Probaby going to replace it with a Skilhunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
More like email addresses being shared, for Olight to send spammy emails in comic sans.
Their own, or other people's?
Either way, that sounds like the responsibility lies on those doing the sharing, rather than the company itself. I'm not saying it's to be ignored, but I don't think it's entirely fair to blame a company for what someone else does.

Latest posts