What are some good, cheap upgrads I can do to a Solarforce L2?

clint eastwood

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty much what I'm wondering. If possible, I'd like a bit longer battery life with the same brightness. Maybe a new driver? I'm fine with the 5 modes, Hi-med-lo,strobe, SOS, but if there are better drivers on DX or somewhere that would be worth switching in I'd probably change it. It has a CREE XR-E R2 led, so I don't really know if there is any reason to upgrade the LED yet.

I definitely would like a better quality 18650.

clint eastwood

Newly Enlightened
Would I lose brightness if I used two rechargeable AA's? I've got plenty of them so that might be a good mod for me.

"8.4v Pill = Just buy a 18650 extension for 2x18650"

8.4v pill? I don't know what a pill is... sorry about that.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would I lose brightness if I used two rechargeable AA's? I've got plenty of them so that might be a good mod for me.

"8.4v Pill = Just buy a 18650 extension for 2x18650"

8.4v pill? I don't know what a pill is... sorry about that.

Unscrew the brass module that screws into the back of the reflector
this brass module contains the LED and the driver board .... this is
commonly called the pill :)

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solarforce L2 is called a "lego" light because you can interchange different parts; heads, body tubes, tail caps, and its sized to use p-60 drop-in emitters.

You can buy a standard L2 package [single mode Cree R2, 2x CR123 or 1x 18650 battery, and basic tailcap w/ clicky]. You can add a second 18650 body tube for less than $10.

One of CFP's members sells L2's, here's his URL. Hope you find this useful.

http://shop.1asecure.com/index.cfm

clint eastwood

Newly Enlightened
I have a Solarforce L2 already. I have the Cree R2 in it. It's really good as it is, but modding it interests me.

I'm pretty sure that extension from KD would work, it's a CM shorter than an 18650, but I think there's an extra space already in the flashlight.

And your link doesn't work.