What are some nice pens?

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
For most of my own writing I like crisp, dark ink, usually black but sometimes blue. Over the years, my specific daily pen of choice has varied.

For about ten years, my favorite was the Pilot Precise Deluxe, Extra Fine, in blue ink. It has recently been relegated to #2, in favor of the Staedtler Liquid Point 7 superfine rollerball. My #3 is currently the Pentel Energel Needle Tip 0.5mm ball pen.

For "fine" pens, I do have a MontBlanc Meisterstuck, but I'm not as interested in glitz as I am in precision. It does write nicely, though. My grandfather's sterling silver Sheaffer (floral design) is one of my prized posessions. If my father ever finds them, my grandfather's working pens -- his good fountain pens from his days as a Metropolitan Insurance Company representative -- will be restored and put back into service.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
My favorite affordable, won't kill me to not get it back once in a while is the Pentel EnerGel (0.5mm black). Smooth writing and you can see how much ink is left through the window.

brightboy

Newly Enlightened
Uniball Jetstreams are really good - smooth as rollers but they don't leave a "blot" if you hold the point in one place too long. Avoid the "bold" version though, unless you like a really fat tip pen.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
For knockabout pens the Pentel Energels. For real pen work I like Aurora Fountain pens, Lamy Fountain pens, and Pilot Fountain pens. Lamy's and Pilots can be very affordable.

Hero pens from China are nice Homage/knockoffs of Parker 51's.

Other than that I make the occasional pen form a kit from Woodcraft or similar outlets.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Monocrom said:
As far as Joon's is concerned, avoid their main store. Every time I've been there, I've been ignored or treated like garbage. Their store inside Grand Central Terminal knows how to treat customers properly.

Ive bought a bunch of pens from Joon, in pretty much all price ranges; in store, on the web and on the phone. Ive been shopping there for more than 10 years. They have always treated me well. I had broken the nib on a Namiki Vanishing point and took it in to them and they pulled a nib from another pen in the size I wanted since they didnt have the part in stock and fixed it on the spot for me. They charged for the nib of course, but they didnt make me wait for it to come in or anything.

A couple days ago I ordered a Fisher bullet pen and another pen that was on sale (40% off) over the internet from Joon. They sent me an email saying the sale item was gone. The sale said while in stock and they suggested another color to replace it; which I didnt like. So I called and explained what I was looking for and they called their other stores and found one that was in a color I liked. They sold me that one for the sale price even though it wasnt on sale. They also threw in a couple refills for free ($10 value).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just picked up these 2" pinky-sized girth pens from Fred Meyer. Smoooth blue ink writing. But too smallish since it's called a mini mini pen.

Enjoy!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Like the rest of my "toys for boys" I gravitate to some of the higher-end stuff (but not too high). I own a number of nice pens. I prefer roller balls myself and own at least a couple of each by Delta, Omas, and Aurora. One of my favorites is by Bexley. The price point for these Italian-made pens is typically in the $200-500 range (limited editions can run a lot more..a whole lot more!).

We happen to have one of the nicer pen stores right here in Baltimore, Bertram's Inkwell. I've bought a couple from Joons...and a few from New York's "Fountain Pen Hospital"...Don't let the name mislead you, they carry a huge selection of pens and many if not most are discounted: http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

Be sure to check out their "Super Specials"...always great deals to be found. One of the better bang for the buck brands is Caran D' Ache. They make a nice pen at a great price. On page 2 of the specials they're showing a wild looking Ducati...I've seen these in person...and that's a really excellent price!

For a fun pen at a very attractive price you can't be the Retro 51's! Check out the "Postmaster" on page 5 of the Super Specials. Great looking, smooth writing pen for around $40 bucks!

I have two favorite refills, one by Schmidt, and Itoya makes something similar. It's a rollerball with a unique tip that, similar to drafting instruments, enables you to really see exactly what you're writing/sketching.
Page 24 of this pdf: http://www.schmidt-feintechnik.de/pdf/2/SCHMIDT-Writing-Instr-Tech.pdf
Although they don't show it on their site, Fountain Pen Hospital might carrry it.

The Itoya "Parker-style" rollerball refill (#GPR-7) is by far my favorite for capless pens. Same type point as the above Schmidt...It writes soooo smooth! http://www.itoya.com/Catalogs/Refills/pen_refills.htm

And finally...if you want to see some gorgeous pens (and their expensive) you just gotta check out Grayson Tighe's custom made pens. The son of famous knife maker Brian Tighe, Grayson has taken the pen world by storm with his wonderful creations. http://www.tighepen.com/Profile.html

Have fun!!!
Dennis Greenbaum :cool:

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
Fountain Pen: aint nothing like a Pelikan M600 or vintage Parkers

I agree that the Pelikans are very nice fountain pens and while expensive, much better value than say a Mont Blanc in my opinion. Better quality than the Mont Blancs also in my opinion. I have a Pelikan M800 and a Mont Blanc 146 and much prefer the Pelikan. My favorite current model fountain pen is one of the large Duponts. Like writing with dyed butter ;)

Older Parkers have a bit firmer nibs. I have a couple of older Watermans, one from the 1920s and one from the 30s. I got the one from the 20s at Fountain Pen Hospital in NY and the one from the 30s at a small pen store in Paris. Both have very flexible nibs that I prefer to the more firm nibs but that is purely an issue of personal taste.

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
Auroras, Watermans, and Namikis are my fountain pens of choice. I can't afford the higher-end models, so I stick to the "introductory" models. I have about 8 fountain pens in my small collection and I swap them out weekly.

FNG

Enlightened
Ive got a Rotring 600 ballpoint on the way from Germany that ill be using Parker gel refills with. Wanted to get a rollerball but theyre more than I want to spend. Im talking about the old models btw, not newton series.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I love my Lamy's. All of them. Feel great in the hand and write superbly. I especially like the capless rollerball versions.
About 4 years ago I lost a combo ballpoint/tech pencil Lamy. In January I was fertilizing the lawn, fixing sprinklers - BAM! there's my Lamy "combo" wedged into the dirt between the sidewalk and grass. Wiped off the mud, put it to paper and it wrote straight away. Apparently survived repeated passes of my hedger without a scratch.

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
I still love my Lamy Swift in that Lacquer Anthracite finish. The heft is amazing. and that retractable clip.
Only problem is the black rollerball cartridge don't write as smooth as I'd like.
I bought a Green ink one and that one writes very smooth.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
cbdudley said:
Check out the Rotring brand. They are made in Germany. A bit hard to find, but very nice and reasonably priced.
I've got the rollerball, ballpoint and the fountain pen. When I lost the pencil I thought I would die! I found mine a Levenger.com.

chiphead

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one I bought so that my Wife does not lose it. :)
picture007mediummz0.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a smidgen of experience here (and I do mean a smidgen; I'm not just being modest), so I'd like to throw in my 0.02 dollars.

I got an Inka a couple months ago. It's a very nicely made pen, and the conversion from mini- to full-size pen is not nearly as difficult as it sounds. However, I've noticed that it really doesn't like receipts or other glossy surfaces, needing a couple minutes to "get started" or just a second on normal paper before it'll handle the glossy stuff. Once/if it gets started, though, it writes really smoothly, with no extra pressure necessary and no unsightly globs.

After being embarrased by the Inka's, uh, "performance anxiety" when faced with receipts, I asked around here and was told that Space Pens work fine on receipts. I was browsing their website for a nice model when I remembered that I might have a classic Bullet in a drawer from several (as in 8-9) years back. You know what? I found that pen, tried it out, and it works beautifully! Now, please note that I had to make a custom holster for it, since there's no cool split ring point and convenient easy-access inverted carry like on the Inka.

I think I'll continue to carry both, since the Inka is a more pleasant extended-use pen and the Bullet is a more versatile, quick writer.

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
I've also periodically lusted after the Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pens that I used in my high-school art classes.