What are some nice pens?

javafool

Enlightened
I really like the Fisher S725 Trekker Space, inclues bonus lanyard an caribiner clip I bought from Penwa.com. It is small but comfortable, uses the Fisher space pen refills, and cost $20, which isn't too bad.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parker Jotter all stainless (this pen is loved by everyone that borrows it)
Fisher space pen (bullet style)

The smallest I've used is the "Fisher Space Pen Stowaway" it's no pen, just a refill will a cap. Red/Blu/Blk at REI for backpacking.

My least used, a Dunhill I bought at Harrod's dang thing even has a pocket clip that retracts when you twist the top...don't even ask what it cost.

My nicest a two full sets (one user, one keeper of the Parker 75. This is Sterling Silver pen with crosshatch body. Bought when the Fountain with 14k nib was $25

Last edited:

dyee

Newly Enlightened
They use the same mechanism but different types of ink. Rollerball's use water base ink or gel ink. Rollerball's, on average, have smoother writing because of the thinner ink, but are prone to bleeding. Rollerball's are good for writing cheques, since they are harder to wash, compared to ballpoint's oil based ink.

I like my ballpoint lamy 2000.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I like Waterman's Rollerball pens and some other inexpensive ones that are readily available off the shelf along with gel pens. Of course these are followed by fountain pens which I prefer first and foremost.

Pelikan M1000 Souveran
S.T. Dupont Vertigo (Geometric Patterned Red Chinese Lacquer)
Waterman Opera

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom Anderson Twister #57 with tritium insert at the end... :)
tapen1.jpg

tapen2.jpg

tapen3.jpg

tapen4.jpg

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't write with a rollerball or ball point for too long. Rollerballs, I hold at too low of an angle and the ball sinks in after a week of use. Ball points= too much resistance.

CLHC

Flashaholic
GarageBoy said:
Ball points= too much resistance.
That's how my writing hand feels when using ballpoints. It drags with a grainy feel. Too fine of a point (which I tend to use mostly with these RB/G tips) on them rollerballs and/or gels, in my case tends to tear the sheet with my heavy handed writing. Not so when I use fountain pens.

Speaking of "nice pens," the glass pens look fine, but I don't know how these write. Has anyone here tried them out? Just curious that's all.

Last edited: