What are some other words which are commonly mispronounced?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In our neck of the woods (New England), some of the towns have peculiar pronounciation and saying them incorrectly tags you right away as being from a different part of the country. You kind of have to squish the word together quickly when saying it to get it right. Some examples:

1. Greenwich, CT - Grenich, not Green-witch
2. Concord, MA - Conquered, not Con-cord
3. Worcester, MA - Wooster, not Wor-ces-ter

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
then why not use the non conjugated form? You all.

Slower, and it sounds awkward in normal conversation IMO. When speaking english to multiple people, I usually have to sound like I'm talking to one person. :p

I make it sound like I don't speak english 99% of the time, lol, but when you learn a different language it really makes you look at all the stupid things in your own. :duh2:

G1K

Newly Enlightened
In our neck of the woods (New England), some of the towns have peculiar pronounciation and saying them incorrectly tags you right away as being from a different part of the country. You kind of have to squish the word together quickly when saying it to get it right. Some examples:

Worchester would be pronounced Woosta in Boston?

daimleramg

Banned

Just to add to that...

Toronto, Canada is pronounced Torono, not Toronto
Montreal, Canada is pronouced Monrealle, not Montreal
New Orleans, LA is pronounced Norleans, not New Orleans

This one really ticks me off and only people that live out in the country and boonies say this...

You's people better get off my lawn.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Actually, New Orleans has several different pronunciations by locals. Including:

New Aw-lins
New Aw-yens
New Allyens
New Or-lins

Never New Or-LEANs

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add to that...

Toronto, Canada is pronounced Torono, not Toronto
Montreal, Canada is pronouced Monrealle, not Montreal
New Orleans, LA is pronounced Norleans, not New Orleans

This one really ticks me off and only people that live out in the country and boonies say this...

You's people better get off my lawn.

Vancouver, Canada is pronounced VanKooVer, not Van goo ver

And My Name
John, not Johnny, nor Jonathon

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im from california and I cant think of anyone mispronouncing words other than non-native english speakers.

Like "vanilla" for spanish speakers, the double "L" in spanish is a "y" so it is "vaniya" oh and "V" sounds like "B"

Here is pittsburgh, people have an accent. my friends here all mispronounce "measure" They say "maysure"

it drives me crazy!!!!

Also sentence structure is askew here. They leave out "to be" in certain sentences.

"That needs to be cleaned"

in pittsburgh it is "that needs cleaned"

I also live near Pittsburgh in the Ohio Valley. You forgot samich and yuns.

"Yuns about finished? Let's go to Primanti Brothers for a samich!" :crackup:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Some more New Orleans pronunciations:
( I think some of these are common with NY/Brooklin/Jersy area because of common ethnic influences. Italian/Irish/etc.) Though the Cajun & Creole & Spanish cultures add some other twists.
Vetrens = Veterans
MEhtree = Metairie
Zink = Sink
Urrster or Ursta= Oyster
Urr'l = Oil
Bur-GUNdy = Burgundy
Ax = Ask
Ruhm (hard to peg this one phonetically) = Room
Words tend to be pronounced toward the front of the mouth as in french,
Dawlin = Darling

Many words have the "r" sound dropped from the end, such as: Mutha = Mother, Fatha = Father, Brutha = Brother. Quarta = Quarter

Or phrases slurred together. E.g:
Mus-'na-had = Must not have had.
Jeatyet? = Did you eat yet?
Wherey'at = Where are you at? Thus the term for locals (Yats)
Howyado'in? = How are you doing?
Make Groceries = Get Groceries or sometimes, Cook

Neutral Ground = Median

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
In New Orleans don't forget VCRer for VCR.

And of course in Chalmette you can have a man named Earl who goes to the hardware store to buy some lamp oil and the natives will amazingly twist it all up perfectly backwards and say, "...OIL went to the store to get some EARL..."

Yeah, they really do say that...

Last edited:

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Wow this thread netted a lot of posts in a hurry. I was going to reply to many phrases by multiple quoting. There are so many I gave up but I will submit one or my own.

One of my pet peeves is "hot water heater". What in the hayel is a hot water heater and why would you need it? If the water is hot, it doesn't need to be heated....

OK, I'll submit another one. Louisiana is pronounced Looz ee anna. When I was in junior high school there, my LA studies teacher claimed it's because the state is named after King Louis, hence the pronunciation.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'll submit another one. Louisiana is pronounced Looz ee anna. When I was in junior high school there, my LA studies teacher claimed it's because the state is named after King Louis, hence the pronunciation.

Umm, he's right... Louis XIV, pronounced loo-ee. Not "loo". Hence, loo-ee-zi-ana (at least, that's what the french called it).