What are you allergic to?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
10,122
Location
"The 49th State"
I'm definitely allergic to "IDIOTS"!!!!

However on a serious note..."Malignant Hyperthermia" runs in the family (though we've never been tested - they have to treat my sons and I like we have it because it killed my grandfather.)

WHAT IS MALIGNANT HYPERTHERMIA?The MHC is a biochemical chain reaction response “triggered” by commonly used general anesthetics within the skeletal muscles of susceptible individuals. The general signs of the MHC include tachycardia (a rise in heart rate), a greatly increased body metabolism, muscle rigidity and/or an eventual fever that may exceed 110 degrees F. Severe complications include: cardiac arrest, brain damage, internal bleeding or failure of other body systems. Thus, death, primarily due to a secondary cardiovascular collapse, can result.
 
Last edited:

JoeDizzy

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
35
Location
N.C.
Cats and Codeine for me ( oh, almost forgot, BILLS make my eyes water like crazy)
 

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
1,772
Idiots and a$$holes and uncoated penicilin pills. Makes me allergic to myself, sometimes. :devil:


Cheers! :buddies:
 

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
1,170
Oh, I love answering this question.

I used to be allergic to chocolate. I would get dry lips and a red rash around my mouth. And as a kid, I loved chocolate, and some CPFers may have noticed a few of my posts, I still do--the high end artisanal imported chocolate. For whatever reason (good Karma, probably), the allergy seemed to have disappeared around my teens.
 

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
1,735
Location
Trinidad and Tobago.
Made some additions to the post above.

A friend of mine cannot eat fresh oranges nor can she drink freshly squeezed juice yet, she can drink canned or bottled juice... The same girl cannot eat(or even smell) ripe mangoes but can eat unripe ones.
 

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
6,468
Location
Apex, NC
A few years back I managed to run over a yellowjacket nest hole with the lawn mower. Got stung twice in the lower leg which got quite swollen and sore. Walking was tough for a couple days. Bad enough to take off from work. Needless to say that nest hole received a malathion cocktail when it got dark.

Geoff
 

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
1,453
Flying Turtle said:
A few years back I managed to run over a yellowjacket nest hole with the lawn mower. Got stung twice in the lower leg which got quite swollen and sore. Walking was tough for a couple days. Bad enough to take off from work. Needless to say that nest hole received a malathion cocktail when it got dark.

Geoff
I was stung 42 times by yellow jackets once as a child. Lucky I was not allergic. I had no ill effects at all except for the pain of getting stung and the itching afterwards.
I guess I have been stung hundreds of times since then (mostly while surveying). If I get stung in the morning then the only thing left by that evening will be a small red point of entry where the stinger went in. For some reason I heal very quickly after being stung. I have worked with guys who swell up for days just like you did. I really felt sorry for them.
 
Last edited:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 27, 2002
Messages
5,078
Location
on an island surrounded by reality
The same girl cannot eat(or even smell) ripe mangoes but can eat unripe ones.

watching Good Eats one evening I learned that Magoes are actually a member of the poison ivy family! The plant itself and it's sap contain quite enough urushiol to give you quite an itch. The ripe fruit doesn't contain very much at all, but if you're especially sensitive to it you can have a bad reaction to the skin of the fruit where it's concentrated. They say most people can eat the fruit if you have someone else actually skin it for you.
 
Top