What are your experiences with the Fenix and Olight brands?

kerneldrop

Enlightened
reliability/durability and customer service for each brand.
Malkoff M61T, or any of the MD2 M61 series. M61 Hot is very popular.
Malkoff has a 21700 body, too, if that's what you prefer.

You will not get more reliability or durability, and will not find better customer service. They are made in ‘Merica to take recoil and abuse.

Here's an option that is a tank of light: https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/sky-lumen-nguyen-serial-61-100

You might want larger, but if you want the toughest least likely to fail then PEAK LED in stainless steel is where it's at. It's bulletproof and will last forever.
Logan 17500 is very nice and versatile with battery options. Momentary switch plus a pocket clip from Oveready. Bombproof forever light.

The import lights get super bright and have all these options, switches, colors, shapes, tactical words….they aren’t for me.

I’m told the hotter the LED gets the shorter life it’ll have…so take that into consideration when looking at those import lights.

Last edited:

CHNeal

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
In my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, the last decent light Fenix made was the pd30. Slim 2xcr123 two stage forward clicky head twist to select modes…
Everything I tried from them after that was hot side button chi-com trash that couldn’t hold up to an actual weeks work. They are real bright till they fall of a ladder once….I spent my life as tradesman and as such all my tools see hard use and a flashlight is a tool. They fall, they get kicked across the floor/parking lot, end up in the rain snow hot cold and every now and then go thru the washing machine…
Only good thing Ill say is they pushed me to Surefire, HDS, Elzetta, Peak and now Malkoff.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, the last decent light Fenix made was the pd30. Slim 2xcr123 two stage forward clicky head twist to select modes…
Everything I tried from them after that was hot side button chi-com trash that couldn’t hold up to an actual weeks work. They are real bright till they fall of a ladder once….I spent my life as tradesman and as such all my tools see hard use and a flashlight is a tool. They fall, they get kicked across the floor/parking lot, end up in the rain snow hot cold and every now and then go thru the washing machine…
I mostly agree. I lost interest in Fenix after they got sued by Surefire and redesigned all their lights with side switches. Pocket lights shouldn’t have side switches; makes the light longer, gives an extra failure point, and no more lego or replaceable parts. You used to be able to saw a Fenix in half and get a replacement body tube for under $10. I do like some of their current e series lights without the side switch, but I still don’t trust them with lithiums (they either ruin the light or you lose the low for a while). Seems there are no lego options anymore either (L1D, L2D, and P2D used the same head). I did like the HL30 headlight. Used it on Mt. Whitney along with two Princeton Tec Eos headlights during a flash flood. The Fenix was the only one of the three lights to survive. (Couldn’t use lithium’s in it though)

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Which lights don’t work with lithium AAs? Is the E12v2 one of them?
I‘m not aware of any Fenix AA or AAA lights that don’t work with lithium primary cells. Both of mine (2021 E12 v2.0 and HM23) are just fine with them.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’ve got an older P1D, an HL30 and a PD32 and all work fine.

For Olight, it’s an i3S, a Balder IR pistol light, an i3 UV, and i5 CU and an S-Mini Ti. Rainbow and they’ve all worked well save for the copper i5 which is still sealed in its box.

I like both brands.

Chris