What are your favorite LED "gifting" flashlights to non-flashoholics?

sethistruckin

I have given a few over the past year... 4Sevens Mini AA, 4Sevens Preon 2, Icon Modus 2, Fenix LD40, and a Fenix LD25. It has been an expensive run, and with future gifts I think I will start gifting ITP lights or something that is less expensive.

However, all of the people that got these lights were very impressed by each of them.

AaronG

The last one was an E05 for my Dad. I think it's ideal because anything more powerful won't run any better on typical alkaline (no matter what you give them to start with that's what will end up in there). The beam is very useful for typical EDC use. My Dad was shocked that a single AAA was putting out more light than the 2 C lights laying around his shop. ;)

Jackasper

Chalk up one more for the ITP A3 EOS upgrade. The cost and single cell simplicity make it ideal imho. To family members, the Lumapower Trust 1 for the exact same reasons.

roadkill1109

For me, i've gifted a non-flashaholic a Led Lenser K3, its simple, its small, its bright, its cheap and yes its NOT REGULATED, but the non-flashaholic would say, "Who cares?" but it has one over all the lights you mention here, it's FOCUSABLE, and that alone blows away non-flashaholics who know no better! hahaha! Why spend more than 20 dollars or more for regulated lights with kick-*** LEDs to give to someone who just wont appreciate it, right?

Save the good stuff for me, you, and any other flashaholic reading this post! he-he-he :D

COAHP8313_2.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it comes in a cutesy box which you could just add a ribbon to to make it sweet, but be careful when you give it to your woman, coz she might think there's a ring inside! hahaha!

led_lenser_k3_1024.jpg

Last edited:

Southpaw1969

I got my dad a Nitecore Defender Infinity for his b-day because he liked mine so much. I was at his place, and I was helping him rewire the entertainment center, and I took out my NDI to light up behind the furniture because his pathetic plastic piece of crap wasn't doing the job.

I thought it was a good choice for him since it's small, and takes common battery cells. I know him, and he wouldn't want to go buy expensive oddball cells, or deal with a charger. He can get 99 cent store packs of AA's and be fine. Or, take one out of a TV remote or something. This way, he'll always have a light by the bed or whenever he needs it. Could carry it easily in a pocket too.

DRoc

I've given a Surefire 6PX Pro to both my parents. They're simple, non upgradable (they're really not interested in modding), highly reliable, and produce great light...great value. My favorites are the original 6P type platforms, but I find for gifts the new Surefire models are hits.

slipe

I carry my iTP and Maratac (both Q5s) with 10440s, but I've gone through a lot of batteries. They will take only unprotected cells and if I leave them on too long in high the battery often ends up in the trash. Unprotected 10440s are cheap enough, but I don't like the unreliability. I reverted my single mode iTP back to alkalines and gave it to a friend since it was so unreliable with 10440s. What batteries are you using that you can trust them with a non-flashaholic?

I just ordered another batch of AA Q5 flood to throw lights from Ebay for 9 bucks each with free shipping. They are too large for a keychain, but everyone I've given them to love them. I also give out a lot of the DX bright fauxtons with the switch.

You probably want something they will always carry for a business gift. I've given a few Photon ReX keychain lights to friends and family, and every one went permanently on their keychains. They are about as bright as the Q5 iTP with alkalines and seem better on a keychain. You have to recharge it from a regular battery, but an alkaline D cell will charge it about 20 times. It is easier to replace alkalines, but with a rechargeable light you tend to have it always near full so it doesn't die in the middle of an emergency. It still might be more hassle than some unenlightened folks might want to fool with. I give them only to people I think might charge them occasionally.

My ReX is still on my keychain because I can't resist using my iTP on high. The iTP attaches to my cellphone case.

Chevy-SS

.....chevy-ss . may i ask please what 10440 charger and batteries you have enough confidence in to gift. i might try that setup for meself. you know, cross over to the dark side.

I usually buy the charger and 'unprotected' batteries from GoingGear. Like others have stated, there is a certain amount of care that needs to be exercised, so I have only gifted the 10440 batteries to a couple of friends. Plus, I emailed and explained to them the warnings. Basically, it's common sense, don't run the light for very long on high. Plus, if the battery gets drained completely, then throw it out - do not recharge.

I have tried some 'protected' 10440's but they would not fit the iTP A3, nor would a protected battery fit my Preon1. If anyone knows protected 10440 batteries that will fit the iTP A3, please post!!

-

mbw_151

I've found that the latest AA MiniMag LED has been quite well received by my non-flashaholic friends. They are available everywhere, reasonably priced, simple UI and from the only flashlight company they know by name. What could be sweeter?

Last edited:

Coolhand68

In the past it's been INOVA X5 or Streamlight Twin Task lights. Now I would go with a Fenix as a good entry level light that will serve them well for years to come and possibly spark some further interest in lights.

jbrett14

Lately, I have been gifting the iTP EOS A3 Upgrade XP-G R5. I have been giving these away like candy. I gave away five at a business luncheon last week. I give them to everyone, LOL. And if it's someone who will be careful, I also give them two 10440 batteries and a charger. So far, I would have to say that the iTP EOS A3 Upgrade XP-G R5 makes the very best overall gift.-

Well, all I can say is, feel free to gift one or two my way. And best of all, I can guarantee that I will appreciate the gift far more than your non-flashaholic friends. :)

Jonny

DaveTheDude

Dang!! Your a really nice person. I wanna be ur friend lol.
And I'm careful too!!

Me too! Me too! I'll be your friend...

OK, back to reality.

I limit my torch gifts to specimens I won't cringe over if the recipient loses or mistreats the light. The Fenix E01 & E05, and the Maratac 1xAAA and 1xAA models, are easy to part with, and won't break the bank. Women especially love the size of these, and don't seem to feel particularly "geeky" about carrying such cute little lights in the purse or on their keychains. For a select few non-flashaholicks, I'll spring for one or another flavor of Quark. And finally, for my brother's 50th birthday, I gifted a brand new, straight-from-the-factory Pocket Rocket, made by Download. (That one was really, really hard to part with.)

PayBack

In the past 12 months, I've probably gifted ~70 lights; all to 'non-flashoholics'.

About 20 of the gifts were Quark AA*2 Tactical XP-G R5. But I stopped gifting those when they were all revised to the S2 emitter, which I consider to be too dang green.

Lately, I have been gifting the iTP EOS A3 Upgrade XP-G R5. I have been giving these away like candy. I gave away five at a business luncheon last week. I give them to everyone, LOL. And if it's someone who will be careful, I also give them two 10440 batteries and a charger.

-

Will you be my friend? :D

LED_Thrift

There have been three times in the past I've bought a dozen lights to gift.
The first was the PAL light workman. Runs on a 9v [smoke detector] battery. The UI is so simple it doesn't even have an "off" setting. A clicky with just "on" and "glow" mode, which is just enough light to navigate indoors, or in a tent and makes it super easy to find in the dark. ~$14. Very well received.

Next was the Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLed. Super long runtime ~10 hours and wide angle beam with good tint made this a winner. At the time most lights this bright in this price range had a bluer tint. Single level clicky. I think a very simple UI is best for most non-flashaholics. A great camping & outdoor light. Made a deal with a vendor and got these for around $20.

Last was the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux. Again single level clicky. Great throw & extremely rugged design. $24 at the time. They still sell a similar model but the price is much higher now.

My next gift light might be the Xeno single AA light. I saw it at a recent PhotonFest in NJ. Three level UI. Clicky. ~$24 IIRC. Very nice looking light.

darcyh

I like to gift the Fenix E21.

I gave one to my son and he loves it. Also gave one to my daughter and put in some AA lithiums. She keeps it in a drawer near the bed for emergencies. Given the litho batteries it should be a dependable even if left unused for a long time.

Last edited:

JS_280

I've only been into flashlights for a little over a year now, but so far I've gifted several Innova Micro lights, one Quark AA2 Tactical, two Quark AA Tacticals, two QMini 123s, and one Fenix E01.

Latest posts