What are your favorite LED "gifting" flashlights to non-flashoholics?

server

Sunwayman R20A - 2xAA batteries, 180 lumens, real cheap (~35$) but looks nice and feels nice. Uncomplicated UI. Just a nice flashlight to have around in your house/car.
For small AAA light my favorite to give is Fenix E05.

Al Thumbs

At one Christmas I gave Photon Microlight IIs to everyone. Later I discovered the Lowe's Taskforce Cree 2C light, and gave those out. It was the most powerful flashlight I had seen. I gave three of these as gifts earlier this year (although now they are branded Utilitech).

Most recently, I bought a Fenix E05, purple anodizing, for my wife. It's a girly color, not intimidating, and she likes it. I plan to check out the Fenix E01 next as a gifting option.

Al Thumbs

Fird

I've given the Streamlight microstream to both my fiance and mother in the past year, seems it is small enough for a lady's purse, solid enough to last a while and simple enough that it gets used. I've heard both of them have indeed used them in emergencies, its awesome to know that they just work. Also gave an itp a3 but it did not survive a year even and the pwm was NASTY, :-(

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

TyJo

Fenix E01, if you want to spend more the Fenix E05. Simple 1 mode, good quality, cheap, and perfect for the keychain.

hiuintahs

The lights that I gift will use either the AA or AAA battery format........Olight i3 (one of the colored ones for the ladies), Xeno EO3, iTP SA2 or SA1, Streamlight Stylus Pro C4.

illumiGeek

... My experience as a flashaholic gifting dozens of various types of lights from button cell (100s) to E05 to LD01 to LD15 to TK1 and other brands has been frankly discouraging over the years ....

This has been my experience as well. Very few non-flashaholics "get it" when it comes to good flashlights. Most consider Mag-laugh to be the "premium" brand [Ugh]. In the past, before LED lights were common, I used to LED mod mags and give them as gifts. Those were generally well received and actually used. People who received them were amazed how much better a Mag was with a bright LED and sputtered reflector.

More recently I have given away lots of those common 3xAAA 9 LED lights. They're cheap, bright (to a non-flashaholic), and available in a seemingly endless variety of colors and styles. The main failure with those lights is usually the crappy switch, but that only happens if the light is used a lot, which is a rare occurrence, and when someone I have given one to comments that their light has failed, I know they are a good candidate for a better light for their next gift.

The other light I gift a lot is a tiny, no-name 7 LED light that runs off of 4xS76/357 button cells. It comes in a variety of colors, has a good switch, and is freakishly bright (it will light up a room nicely). It's actually brighter than the 9 LED 3xAAA lights! I call it the "IQ test" light. If I hand it to someone and warn them, "Be careful, it's really bright!" and they point it at their face, turn it on and yell, "Ouch! Holy crap that's bright!" they have failed.

Here's one next to my Bluetooth mouse for size comparison.
IQtest.jpg

Only drawback to those lights are battery life, and that the batteries have to be replaced as soon as you get them, because they are usually already leaking in the brand new lights. LOL! Fortunately the batteries are held in a plastic tube that protects the light from the crappy, leaking batteries. I clean the tube, drop some silver oxide 357 cells in there and they are ready to "test" people.

squaat

I've had more luck with gifting AAA sized lights, especially ones that come in pretty colors. The Thrunite Ti (regular) fits that biil at around $15, user interface is great too. The 4Sevens Preon P0 is also a winner at $22. (before that it was the iTP A3, when they still made it)

Most people are blown away at how bright these little AAA lights are.

For the times when a person could use a larger light, a Fenix e21 is my current gift light. Though I do wish it had a lower low.

The most expensive light i've gifted was a tk20. (And she still loves it)

Last edited:

big juice

I actually gifted a ultrafire from fleabay with a led replacement bulb. Flashlight itself was like 4 bucks and bulb was over 20. no problems over a year until he killed the rcr batts. couldn't fig why they was getting so freaking hot trying to charge until trolling this board. just glad they didnt pop after repeated efforts to charge them from ridiculously dead state

Zeruel

I usually give E05 or Thrunite Ti, easy to carry and simple to use. I thought it's more impressive to give them something brighter than E01.

HighlanderNorth

I usually give people either E01's or Ultrafire K10's, each around $12. If they don't like/use them, I'm not out much, and it's all the same to me. And if they really like those lights, then I will gift them up the food chain to better lights like the I3 or BA10. A few people like my dad the electronics engineer get more sophisticated 18650 lights with batteries and charger.

Yeah, its good to start out simple and cheap when buying the initial LED lights for first timers, because some people have some serious difficulties with semi-complex lights! I thought the BC-10 would be perfect because its so simple to operate, just push the button, and if you want it brighter, then twist the bezel a little, and voila! Thats all the complexity to that light.........But....I later noticed that 2 of the people I gave them to hadnt figured out the process of turning the bezel! They thought it was 1 mode only, even though it came with instructions, and I explained it to them after gifting it. But they thought it was bright in low, so when I turned the bezel to high, they were really impressed. Now they will probably forget low, and keep it on high, which will run the batteries out in about 1.5 hours.

Imagine gifting a first timer a Zebralight SC600, or some other similarly complex light. Some people would never figure it out!

DaveTheDude

My brother is a retired LEO, so he is already familiar with decent quality duty lights. But that familiarity didn't extend to quality, personal "pocket EDC" lights, so for his retirement gift, I gave him one of Download's "Pocket Rocket's" (7th run XM-L LED).

Everybody else gets a 1xAA or 1xAAA light, sold by FourSevens, or ThruNite, or Fenix.

Racer

Yeah, its good to start out simple and cheap when buying the initial LED lights for first timers, because some people have some serious difficulties with semi-complex lights! I thought the BC-10 would be perfect because its so simple to operate, just push the button, and if you want it brighter, then twist the bezel a little, and voila! Thats all the complexity to that light.........But....I later noticed that 2 of the people I gave them to hadnt figured out the process of turning the bezel! They thought it was 1 mode only, even though it came with instructions, and I explained it to them after gifting it. But they thought it was bright in low, so when I turned the bezel to high, they were really impressed. Now they will probably forget low, and keep it on high, which will run the batteries out in about 1.5 hours.

Imagine gifting a first timer a Zebralight SC600, or some other similarly complex light. Some people would never figure it out!

Exactly. I gave my dad a BA10. About a year later, I asked him if he liked it and he said it was in a box. He had gone back to using a single mode Ultrafire light. So I "ungifted" it and now it's a great camping/backup light for me, running a 14500. I had given his wife a 5 mode UF XM-L light, and a year later I asked if she liked it, and she took it out to show me. Turns out she was doing a full click on-and-off to change modes. I showed her that you could just tap the switch and it was almost this surreal experience, like showing someone that you can use a toaster to make toast.

jamesmyname

I plan on buying 5-10 Sipik SK68s soon for gifts. I got one for myself on a whim and I'm thoroughly impressed, especially considering the price. Single mode, "zoom-able," bright, appears to be decently regulated, and takes good old AAs. I use 14500s in mine, but I'll probably gift them with a lithium so I don't have to explain the difference between the voltages (or risk them putting the 14500 in some other electronic device that shouldn't use them).

AAA or AA and very simple UI are a must for a non-flashaholic gift light, IMO.

uplite

2x2016 fauxtons, 99 cents each, I've given away dozens of them. It's more than enough flashlight for most folks.

Sometimes I put together a ring of red, green, blue, white, and purple/uv fauxtons, total cost $5, as toys for the kids.

For the few people who actually need a decent light for real-world functional purposes, I've given a Zebralight H501.

High-powered handheld flashlights can be nifty toys and collectors' items, but if you need to actually do something in the dim or dark, a headlamp is the only way to go.

Last edited:

summer

Fauxtons or solar keychain flashlights - for younger kids to play with and as part of goodie bags. I always have a few on hand to give out to strangers or acquaintances who will most likely neglect a good flashlight.

For kids who like camping and for some car owners: Energizer Clip On Headlamp

For friends who I know take good care of their things but are basically oblivious to the flashlight world and exotic batteries lol: Fenix E05 or OLight i3.

Last edited: