What are your suggestions for modding a G2 tailcap

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my G2's except for the tailcaps. I've searched for mods and found several, but what I want are your ideas on how to, on the cheap, make the best of the weak link in an otherwise nice light?

I'm not asking for mod suggestions that require buying a new SF tailcap or gutting another light -- I've been there & done that. What I'm asking about are your homemade fixes for the existing tailcap. Consider this an exercise in K.I.S.S. creativity.

Any new ideas?

Thank you in advance.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What are your suggestions for modding a G2 tai

You saw that it looks like SF is changing the G2 design and the new tailcaps are going to be LOTCs? It seems like this will be the easiest and cheapest path.

-john

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What are your suggestions for modding a G2 tai

Ah, of course, but you see, that's no fun. Anyone can buy stuff. I'm more interested in fixing something than buying something.

I'd rather find my own (or find out about someone else's) fix for the tailcaps falling apart. I mean, I could put a glob of RTV or another silicon sealant on the assembly but I'm trying to think of a more creative solution.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: fixing a G2 tailcap

Well, the tailcaps are fixed and holding together very well so far. Yes, I could have called customer service at SureFire, but I real just wanted to see what Mr. Fixit could come up with. Also, this would work well for other fixes of a similar nature.

I wish I could say I did something more creative but all I did was use some good ol' RTV. The caps are now held together and function well, and I probably improved the water resistance of the lights.

Here's what to do if you want to try it (a lot simpler than it sounds).

1 - Clean all surfaces with alcohol to remove any dirt, grime, and oils. I used rubbing alcohol and let it dry for at least five minutes before going on.

2 - Apply the RTV sparingly and carefully:
-- to both the inside and the outside of opening on the tailcap body
-- to the outside edges of the rubber tailcap insert that mates with the tailcap body. Be careful not to get RTV on the underside of the outside edge of the rubber, since that might come into contact with the body of the light (you don't want it to adhere to the body)
-- to only the top of the metal insert/spring assembly that will mate to the rubber. Be sure to keep the RTV off of the spring that will contact the batteries, and to keep it from preventing electrical contact on the tailcap where it will mate to the G2 body.

Apply the RTV to all surfaces that will be mating, and also, I like to let it set up for just a minute or two before I put the pieces together. In other words, I find that RTV adheres best when all surfaces that are being assembled are coated and not just on one surfasce that will be mated to a dry surface (RTV seems to work a bit better when it can bond to itself).

Keep the RTV out of the threads of the tailcap and the body and off of the o-rings.

3 - With the batteries removed from the light, put the tailcap on the body of the G2 to keep the tailcaps parts firmly in place while the RTV sets up. This should take up to 15 minutes.

4 - Remove the tailcap assemly and let the RTV cure with the tailcap removed. RTV cures in about 24 hours. Be sure to air out the G2 body since RTV gives off corrosive gases when curing. DO NOT let it cure with the light fully assembled.

5 - When the RTV is cured, be sure to check that any traces of RTV are cleaned out of the threads and o-rings, reapply silicone grease to the threads and o-rings, and put the light back together. You should be good to go.

The nice thing about using RTV is that it is silicone based, so if you mess things up, it will peel off fairly easily, even after it has cured.

Be sure to keep the area clean so that you don't get dirt in the parts you are setting up to assemble or in the RTV itself.

Remember to thoroughly wash your hands after using RTV -- it can be a skin irritant.

...or you could probably just call SureFire's customer service number and see about getting replacement tailcaps...