What ATV LED Whips Would Be Most Visible In Dusty Conditions?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I are ATVers. We both ride Can Ams and haven't added any aftermarket lighting, yet.

The biggest challenge where we ride is not being seen due to dust. Some of the members of the ATV club that we are a member of have added LED whips to their ATV or UTV. I do think that they do help being seen more than just the OEM lights alone. One of the other questions is LED color(s) and steady burn or some sort of flash pattern. Some of the manufacturers have LEDs that work with the ATV/UTV brake lights. Presumably that means steady burn, but brighter when brakes are applied. However, I just added an after-market third brake light on my Ram 1500. When the brakes are applied, it flashes three times and then goes to steady burn.

Anyway, what color(s) are likely to be the most effective in heavy dust and what flash patterns are recommended?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the human eye is most sensitive to green, but fl/Hi-Viz orange or yellow is used a lot for safety, so... Keep in mind contrast with background. If the background is green leaves, then green would not be the best color. Background autumn leaves of red, orange and yellow, perhaps white light or blue would be better. Having a variety of colors to choose from so you can contrast to the surroundings may be the thing to do.

Reactions: JAS

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
In our state the DOT trucks have white, amber and green flashing LEDs. In bad weather the green LEDs punch through the fog much better than the other colors. This makess ense as the human eye's peak sensitivity is in the green range.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the human eye is most sensitive to green, but fl/Hi-Viz orange or yellow is used a lot for safety, so... Keep in mind contrast with background. If the background is green leaves, then green would not be the best color. Background autumn leaves of red, orange and yellow, perhaps white light or blue would be better. Having a variety of colors to choose from so you can contrast to the surroundings may be the thing to do.

In our state the DOT trucks have white, amber and green flashing LEDs. In bad weather the green LEDs punch through the fog much better than the other colors. This makes sense as the human eye's peak sensitivity is in the green range.
With clothing, out in the woods, I think blaze orange shows up better than hi-viz green (yellow). In the urban environment, though, it seems like hi-viz green (yellow) shows up better.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
With clothing, out in the woods, I think blaze orange shows up better than hi-viz green (yellow). In the urban environment, though, it seems like hi-viz green (yellow) shows up better.
True, if you're surrounded by green in the woods, orange would stand out better. I recall hearing of an air force study from long ago where they determined that orange stood out against blue the best, so this is kind of close.

Latest posts