What Batteries do Soldiers have Easy, Available access to in Iraq?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighbor is going to Iraq and I want to get him some high quality lights, but I want to make sure he has access to batteries.

I hate to hook him up with flashlights that use "xyz batteries", and find out that he cannot access "xyz batteries", but he has cases of "abc batteries" lying around.

THIS THREAD has two posts that mention CR123a batteries as being the prefered, but this seemed to be ancidotal information, and not confirmed info.

I do not think he will is going over there primarily for combat, but one never knows.

I would bet that if he was issued a military light, (say a Surefire mounted on his weapon) there would be batteries for that.

Thanks for anyone that has any info on this.

flash_bang

Enlightened
considering the fact (maybe?) that most tactical lights are using the 123A's, I think that they should have a good stock of them over there. regardless, if you're feeling extra-generous, maybe you could direct him to the surefire site and mention the spares carriers, I believe they would fit in a frag pouch, if he doesn't mind the extra bulk, that is.
Hope I could help and I wish your neighbor luck and safety.

have a good one,
Flash

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I just got back from Iraq last week, and the PX always has AAA, AA, C, D, 9V and CR123 batteries in stock. Sometimes the Surefire brand as well. Keep in mind, I was at one of the larger bases which is usually pretty well stocked. smaller bases might not have as much on hand. All varieties of batteries can be ordered through the supply system but may take a while to come in and the supply sergeant might not be willing to order them for personal use. I'd send your friend over with a nice supply of 10 or 20 batteries, and then let him feel out what is available on his base.

If he has a weapon light, the CR123 batteries will be available. If his unit has SINCGARS radios, they will most likely have CR123 batteries for the encryption devices like the ANCD (AN/CYZ-10).

Ordering online for lights and supplies is usually easy and computer access is widely available. Your friend should be able to order replacement batteries if his initial stash runs out. Good luck to your friend.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
RadarGreg said:
I just got back from Iraq last week, and the PX always has AAA, AA, C, D, 9V and CR123 batteries in stock. Sometimes the Surefire brand as well. Keep in mind, I was at one of the larger bases which is usually pretty well stocked. smaller bases might not have as much on hand. All varieties of batteries can be ordered through the supply system but may take a while to come in and the supply sergeant might not be willing to order them for personal use. I'd send your friend over with a nice supply of 10 or 20 batteries, and then let him feel out what is available on his base.

If he has a weapon light, the CR123 batteries will be available. If his unit has SINCGARS radios, they will most likely have CR123 batteries for the encryption devices like the ANCD (AN/CYZ-10).

Ordering online for lights and supplies is usually easy and computer access is widely available. Your friend should be able to order replacement batteries if his initial stash runs out. Good luck to your friend.

THANK YOU!

That is what I needed to know. Very helpful.

I asked him to find out, but I dont know if you would be able to readily find out that info, without actually being there.

bridgman

Enlightened
With apologies in advance, when I saw the title of this thread my first thought was :

Q - What Batteries do Soldiers have Easy, Available access to in Iraq?
A - 12V car batteries, but looting is STRONGLY discouraged

Sorry.

Seriously, until a day or two ago I had always been under the impression that Iraq was awash in CR123s, but it really sounds like primary light using CR123As and a good backup light using AAs would be a smart move if your neighbor is going to be moving around a lot.

The Fenix L2D-CE seems like the no-brainer choice for a "do-it-all" AA light.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Lobo said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting, Lobo. That my information from less than two weeks ago is inaccurate, or that the availability of the CR123 batteries are in shorter supply than I indicated. If the Soldier is going to a unit that will issue him weapon lights or other tactical illumination devices, the batteries will be available for his use. If he is in a unit that doesn't issue lights, then he might have a harder time getting them from his supply system. The larger bases will have batteries available, smaller ones might not. You can mail batteries to Iraq. You can't mail a flashlight back with the batteries installed in them. Take the batteries out and you are good to go for customs.

A small AA or AAA light is handy to have, but honestly, I carried either my Fenix P1D CE or my Surefire Kroma-MS daily and didn't have a problem getting batteries to feed them. Rather than carry lights that use only one type of battery, it might make sense to carry a light that uses AA batteries as well. The Army is more likely to run out of bullets before it runs out of AA batteries.

Bridgman, yes car batteries are also available from DRMO (free issue) or the local population (got a gun? free issue). The car battery can be a bit unwieldy to carry around and a headlamp mod would result in a sore neck. Of course, the runtime for your light would be impressive...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologizes if I seemed rude or trying to make you look bad, not my intention at all. My swedish/posh british english mix (that's what they taught us in school...) doesnt alwas come of as I intentioned. :)
Since you have experience in this matter and I don't, your opinion actually carries weight. I just wanted to show the OP some opinions of other soldiers. And as you said, the availability is probably different where your sent and what kind of tasks you have.
Cheers.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
No problem, Lobo. I was a bit quick on the trigger. :grin2:

Thanks for the well wishes, willrx. I don't get to do the exciting stuff in Iraq like kick in doors, speed rope onto roofs, or drive an armored truck down the streets looking for IEDs, but I do try to contribute to the force protection of out troops and civilians deployed.

I can tell you, despite any personal political affiliations or leaning, the support for the troops from the American public is still very strong. I am personally grateful for all the support I've received and consider it an honor to be a public servant.

Back to the batteries question, just buy him a good light or two, send him out the door with a couple dozen batteries and he should be in good shape.

defusion

Enlightened
I'd just like to add, i agree with the above posters:
buy 2 lights, one that uses CR123's, and one that uses AA.
My 2 favorite lights for both are the surefire m3 (you can mount this on your weapon aswell) for CR123, and a fenix L2D-CE as a do-it-all backup light on standard AA's.