What battery to get for Fenix PD35 (2014 edition)?

Rolf

Newly Enlightened
My first posting here on CPF... A lot of useful information here!

Now my question: I´ve ordered a Fenix PD35 (2014 edition) on eBay. Now I want to buy recharchable batteries. It seems the safest is to get protected ones, but maximum length of battery according to one Fenix dealer is 68 mm, but most recharchable batteries are longer than that. I´ve found Eagletac 3400 on Flashaholics in UK (I live in Sweden) which are 68 mm, but the are quite expensive. On FastTech in Hong Kong they sell Fenix batteries which are 68 mm as well, but these are, what I´ve learned, not Panasonic.

Will I be able to fit in longer batteries (69,4-69,5 mm) or should I stick to 68 mm? Should I maybe go for unprotected ones - what is the big danger? And finally: will I do with a Xtar SP2 charger without digits??

Thankful for professional input!!

/ Rolf

radiopej

Enlightened
Also, the 850 lumens version has a 2.88 A current draw on the highest setting. The 2014 version is brighter, which would suggest a higher current, but I think it will still easily be within the safe zone for the KeepPower ones I mentioned.

MJF

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone able to advance what radiopej says above? I have just received the PD35 2014 edition and I emailed a local battery store with an enquiry about protected cells, and the response was:

"You will get much longer running time and reliable power with one 18650. The protected ones we carry are limited by a maximum discharge rate of 3a. Which I suspect your torch may exceed. If it does not, you can use the protected version. If it does you can only use the "raw" unprotected cells."

The cells referred to are Panasonic 18650 Protected 3.7v 3100mah (NCR18650A). Is a 3 amp draw enough for the PD35 2014 edition, or should I look (1) elsewhere, or (2) for unprotected cells?

I have reasonably diligently searched the internet for an answer without success. I was going to email Fenix, but thought I might get a more prompt answer here. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Matthew

diggie

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix ARB-L2S 3400mAh Protected 18650 from a seller on Amazon.com which is working well. I know you may not be able to do the same depending on your Geo, but the reason I mention this is that when I went to charge it, it literally could not fit in the UltraFire WF-139 charger I have. I had to use a dremel to file off the bump that touches the negative terminal in order to have *just* enough room to fit it into the charger - we're talking down to a fraction of a mm, it was that tight.

So no matter what you end up buying, if it's a very high-capacity battery make sure you can actually fit it into your charger before ordering.

Side: I would *never* run an unprotected lithium cell personally. You should search for pictures and stories of some of the people who have had them explode. When they experience problems and are trapped inside your flashlight they can literally go off like a grenade. Take as few risks as possible - although I think the risk is much less with single cell lights that can't reverse charge. Just my personal $0.02.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got 3 PD35's. Yes the longer cells will fit fine. As for the "best" 18650 that would currently be the 3600mah(!!)Orbtronic Pany based 18650. They are expensive and sell out quick so you gotta keep checking the Orbtronic website as to catch when they have the new 3600mah in stock. I have charged my 3600mah ONCE for use in my older 850 lumen PD35(my nightly user)TWO months ago and it is nowhere near needing a recharge in a light I use every single day

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone able to advance what radiopej says above? I have just received the PD35 2014 edition and I emailed a local battery store with an enquiry about protected cells, and the response was:

"You will get much longer running time and reliable power with one 18650. The protected ones we carry are limited by a maximum discharge rate of 3a. Which I suspect your torch may exceed. If it does not, you can use the protected version. If it does you can only use the "raw" unprotected cells."

The cells referred to are Panasonic 18650 Protected 3.7v 3100mah (NCR18650A). Is a 3 amp draw enough for the PD35 2014 edition, or should I look (1) elsewhere, or (2) for unprotected cells?

I have reasonably diligently searched the internet for an answer without success. I was going to email Fenix, but thought I might get a more prompt answer here. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Matthew
I have the Fenix PD35 non 2014 version which I would think will be very similar.

I measured the current at around 4.10v and it was 2.90 amps out of a power supply. That was the highest I saw it. At 3.0v, current is 0.55 amps. At 2.70v its 0.09 amps and at 2.60v its 0.022 amps..............and this is in the max mode. So it drops off before you hit the 2.50v.........and you will notice that the PD35 can't hit the upper modes and only the lowest one. I don't worry about using a protected cell in a PD35 because of this. The only issue is if you leave it on low and unattended. But I wouldn't do that with an unprotected cell.

Any battery using the Panasonic NCR18650A or NCR18650B will be OK in the Fenix PD35. I have EagleTac, Keeppower, Redilast protected cells and they work just fine. But since I have more of the unprotected NCR18650B cells than any other batteries..........I tend to use those the most in the PD35 and reserve my limited supply of button tops (which is what most of the protected cells are) for my Nitecore flashlight since they only will take button tops.

Hope this helps :).

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side: I would *never* run an unprotected lithium cell personally. You should search for pictures and stories of some of the people who have had them explode. When they experience problems and are trapped inside your flashlight they can literally go off like a grenade. Take as few risks as possible - although I think the risk is much less with single cell lights that can't reverse charge. Just my personal $0.02.

The way I see it, most good lights already have onboard low voltage protection. Generally speaking, the light will first not allow operation in the highest modes, and will later shut off the light completely. But some lights just shut off right off the bat. With onboard low voltage protection, running protected cells is kind of superfluous. And it causes fitment problems and can even damage some lights due to excessive pressure on components (due to possible spring binding). Also, you can always run safer chemistries than ICR like hybrid IMR. You get close to the same capacity with some extra current capacity for higher power lights. The Panasonic NCR18650BD is one such cell, although others exist.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use what ever is at hand in all my 18650 powered lights,whether it be a cheap and cheerful or an over priced hobby make and generally overall no real difference in the performance mind you I am never using a stop watch either or using a multi meter so my jacket remains for the cold weather just hanging up.