What can be stuck in a Photon III?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED in mine is fairly bright but annoyingly blue, and I'd like to put in something else. Question is, will the electronics supply 100 ma of current to something like an MJLED, or is a 26,000 mcd at more like 20 - 30 ma really the only way to go with this? I'd love to get the MJ in it if I can.
Has anyone modded a Photon III with either LED's, different batteries, or both?

paulr

Flashaholic
You can't really get 100 ma from those batteries, even into a dead short.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoghead - Wow... someone put a Lux in a Photon? Wonder what batteries were used there.

Paul - Kinda' disappointed to hear that 2016's won't do the trick. I might have to get a 26,000 mcd for this mod if no other battery is feasible.

This thing is just way too blue so I gotta' do something. Since I accidentally drained my Energizer's and replaced them with Radio Shack brand, it's even worse and not as bright.

I know this is not the Electronics/Batteries forum, and I already started a thread about high battery prices there, but as a side note, the RS 2016's STINK... and I paid $7 for the pair... OK, you can stop laughing now.

So how many options do I have to mod my Photon? Could I use a MJLED with some other battery? Will the electronics handle it?

chanik

Newly Enlightened
You could rig a stack of 4 LR44's somehow and get 150mA out of it. With 4xAAA or something ridiculous you could move 250mA through it. That's about all the circuit will do.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Bimmerboy said:
Hoghead - Wow... someone put a Lux in a Photon? Wonder what batteries were used there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search, but I couldn't find the thread. I think there were three of them sold in Custom B/S/T. They were made by a CPF member in Japan. kj maybe?

I think this was a year or two ago.

Maybe someone else that remembers will speak up. You might send kj a PM.

chanik

Newly Enlightened
Running a luxeon on a pair of 2016s really doesn't make much sense. If you just want to stay on top of the improving LED efficiency, then I recommend a Photon Freedom which uses pin sockets for the LED so it can be replaced. We now have U/V grade Nichia 5mm LEDs. 6 months later it will be W/X no doubt.