What can i run with 3 x C cell li-on

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
The 5761 hits the C Cells pretty hard and I find output dims quickly. It is still pretty bright, but no brighter than an 1185 after about 5-10 minutes of run time. Sony IMR-style cells seem to run the 5761 brighter and whiter than 2 Cs, but again run time is limited.

This is exactly why I prefer the 1185 over the 5761. I use my lights for duty use and require substantial runtime without the need to replace batteries or battery packs. A M@G85 with 3 AW "C" cells provides me with about 45 minutes of juice.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly why I prefer the 1185 over the 5761. I use my lights for duty use and require substantial runtime without the need to replace batteries or battery packs. A M@G85 with 3 AW "C" cells provides me with about 45 minutes of juice.

I believe that the 5761 run on 2x Kai D cells gives about the same output and run time as the 1185 on 3x AW C cells.......not much between these two........and yes, you need a soft start with the 5761/D cells.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am planning to make up a M@g85 in a 2D body using 3C Li-Ion cells. 1" PVC makes a great sleeve in the D body to hold the C Li-Ions. They are a bit longer than the two D cells so a new spring is required. What is the best thing to do for this spring??

Note that some Li-Ion C cells are much longer than standard cells and three won't fit in a two-D M@g.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi Alan B,

You might want to double check if that's going to fit. 3 AW C cells would be ~161mm long. 2 D cells is only 120mm, I don't think you can squeeze an extra 41mm of space out of just a tailcap modification. I could be wrong so double check on this, but I really don't think it'll fit.

Eric

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 AW's "C" cell with stock switch and stock spring without your engineering and resistance fix, will work fine and doesn't even need a soft start.

As long as stock switch don't move forward, 3 of AW's "C" cells won't fit in 2D M*g even without tail spring.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

As long as stock switch don't move forward, 3 of AW's "C" cells won't fit in 2D M*g even without tail spring.

Three Alkaline C's will barely fit in a 2D, but AW's Li-Ion C's are longer and as mentioned they will not fit. I'm not sure about KD's unprotected Li-Ion C's. If they are standard length they might fit. There may be others that will fit, but they are likely to be unprotected as the protection PCB adds length.

The OP did not mention the brand of Li-Ion C cell, as I recall.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally i bought myself a 3C mag....will make the FM purchase soon...

but i noticed something...

8.4v on the ROP HI bulb gives rouhgly 1500lumens?

while the Mag85 on 12v will give rouhgly 1500lumens ?

i hope that the beam really is whiter and tighter....!

Crenshaw

Gunnerboy

Enlightened

ROP HI puts out between 600-700 lumens out the front.
Mag85 puts out between 900-1000 lumens out the front.

On three li-ion C's, the Mag85's beam color will be an scary overdriven white. In comparison the ROP HI, albeit bright, will look yellowish.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw

8.4 volt is open circuit and ROP HI bulb will never see continuous 8.4 volt. That means, either battery voltage will drop to safe side or if you have very, very, very strong and powerfull batteries, ROP HI will give up.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally i bought myself a 3C mag....will make the FM purchase soon...

but i noticed something...

Crenshaw

I think that the major difference between;

ROP Hi @ 4.4A, 2xC @3.3A
1185 @ 3.4A, 3xC @ 3.3A

I know that this is very simplistic way of looking at it.......the 1185 should give slightly more output but more importantly longer run time and whiter beam as mentioned before.....at the expense of longer flashlight

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
just finished my MAg85,on fully charged c li-ons.....Quite literally the SUN in my hands. Its up a room. literally like day light.

im so glad i went for this. Thanks for all the help here !

Crenshaw

Patriot

Flashaholic
just finished my MAg85,on fully charged c li-ons.....Quite literally the SUN in my hands. Its up a room. literally like day light.

im so glad i went for this. Thanks for all the help here !

Crenshaw

Congrats! Glad to hear you got one running.

I always thought the Mag85 had a very noticeably brighter and more full beam that the ROP. Btw the difference is greater than 300 lumens with a 3 C set-up and more like 600 lumens more. :) The 85 is one of my favorite and most commonly used formulas.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
a number of funny experiences....

my friend and i were shining it out his balcony....and it hit the balcony's white wall and blinded us....lol

I remember a comment about the Mag85 while back...somewhere along the lines of 'car headlight"...haha

Crenshaw