What D Cell Batteries for a 6 Cell Mag with a Malkoff Drop-in?

ckali7

Newly Enlightened
Good info here, I have the 6 cell mag with a TerraLux and have wondered this same thing. Seems like my TerraLux is much more than 300 lumens on high though? ?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info here, I have the 6 cell mag with a TerraLux and have wondered this same thing. Seems like my TerraLux is much more than 300 lumens on high though? ?

The TerraLux I own is the MiniStar31 M-EX model(they call it the 310) that per TerraLux produces 1000 lux, 500 lux and 100 lux. The claimed run times aren't that good wither, only 2 hours on high, 6 hours on medium and 37 hours on low.

The light is somewhat bright, but it isn't a 1000 lux on high. One of the LED's has a green cast which I called about and was told that that's normal.

stlavsa

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the terralux but the run times I was looking for were short on high. I went with malkoff drop-in as a compromise.

double0thirteen

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into 2 x 32650's and as many Dummy cells where neccessary on the 2-6D MLs with the Malkoff Dropin.
Has anybody tried this config?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm looking into 2 x 32650's and as many Dummy cells where neccessary on the 2-6D MLs with the Malkoff Dropin.
Has anybody tried this config?

If it's runtime you're after, the lower voltage but much larger mAh of D NiMHs means you could use the surplus space for capacity and not dummy cells. And the XM-L drop-in becomes an option using NiMHs; more than double the output..

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's runtime you're after, the lower voltage but much larger mAh of D NiMHs means you could use the surplus space for capacity and not dummy cells. And the XM-L drop-in becomes an option using NiMHs; more than double the output..

Yes, and besides capacity, all those real D's will add extra weight, which I presume is desirable in a "smack-smack" light like a 6-D Maglite.

stlavsa

Newly Enlightened
I got my 6-D mag and the malkoff drop-in. Both arrived at the same time, simple to install and I have it up and running immediately.

I am very satisfied with the amount of light it throws, and focus of the beam itself (pardon my ignorance on the terminology). Its really bright, and lights up the woods good, and from a good distance.

But now that I have it, its leading me to a new question: Are the NiMH D's lighter weight than alkalines? I am running rayovac alkalines at the moment just because I havent ordered a charger and NiMHs yet. But when I do I'll be ordering 10000Mah 1.2v rechargeable D cells. Is there going to be a significant difference in the actual mass of the cells? Are the NiMHs lighter?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
But now that I have it, its leading me to a new question: Are the NiMH D's lighter weight than alkalines? I am running rayovac alkalines at the moment just because I havent ordered a charger and NiMHs yet. But when I do I'll be ordering 10000Mah 1.2v rechargeable D cells. Is there going to be a significant difference in the actual mass of the cells? Are the NiMHs lighter?

I can't speak for all NiMH's, but my D-sized NiMH's are heavier than alkalines. Not by a large amount, but you can feel the difference in a 4D Maglite.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using the same sets of LSD D nimh's since mid 2010. No power loss and they last a long time. They are pricey initially, along with cost of a charger, but, they more than paid for themselves though. Just use and maintain them and you will get many years of use out of the batteries. The only thing I dislike is when conditioning them they take a LONG time to get done. Only thing ever had to fix on my malkoff/mag's was replacing the switch boots when they get worn down.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh but there's more out there.. Your 3+ pound flashlight is putting out 300 lumens. The 0.2 pound flashlight in my pocket puts out 800 lumens. You have so much more to see..

Yes, BUT after a couple of minutes, most smaller lights step down to around 300 lumens anyway. And at 300 lumens, battery life is fairly short. ESPECIALLY compared to a 6D running six full capacity NiMH D's with a Malkoff drop-in. No, you can't pocket it. And yes, it's big and heavy. But big and heavy lights DO have their advantages.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It burns your hand actually, and your friends will think *even that* is awesome..

Sounds like my H600. That thing gets REALLY hot, and can't hold full brightness for long. That's why I still have use for Malkoff Mags, despite the fact that some lights provide the same (or allegdly greater) brightness in smaller packages. That, and the fact that even the largest 26650s (5200mAH) have less capacity than the smallest NiMH D cells (8000mAH). Sometimes, you just want a light that can crank out a REAL 700 lumens for five hours straight.

stlavsa

Newly Enlightened
Oh but there's more out there.. Your 3+ pound flashlight is putting out 300 lumens. The 0.2 pound flashlight in my pocket puts out 800 lumens. You have so much more to see..

Yes, BUT after a couple of minutes, most smaller lights step down to around 300 lumens anyway. And at 300 lumens, battery life is fairly short. ESPECIALLY compared to a 6D running six full capacity NiMH D's with a Malkoff drop-in. No, you can't pocket it. And yes, it's big and heavy. But big and heavy lights DO have their advantages.

Right, I realize there are more powerful lights out there, however my main concern was a sturdy, reliable, bright light with maximum battery life. Its an accessory to a 90,000 lux (claimed) raccoon hunting head lamp.

I am not worried about pocketing it, i have a maglite belt holster for it. When we hunt, its always at least two people, and you dont always need a gun, so its nice to have something that can also be used as an emergency club. When your pup runs into a coyote, you dont want to have a draw a pistol to get the coyote off, if you understand what i mean, sooo if your gonna carry around a billy club, you might as well have 300 LONG LASTING lumens to go with it, IMO.