What did you do with your old Maglights?

davehutch

Newly Enlightened
My AA mini got an Opalec LED years ago and my wife has that one.
funnily enough I took the batteries out of the 2D incan at the weekend and stashed in a drawer with an unopened 3D with LED upgrade. I've never opened it because I ordered one and two arrived.
alway intended to give it to someone as a present but never got around to it...you know how it is...good to have a spare ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well.... Yesterday, for other reasons than just its output, I bought one of the advertised 272 lumens, 2AA Mini-Mag Pro LED models. It's going to be a back-up EDC light for awhile. So, at least I'm using one of the newer Mag models that's technically old due to its design.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Mag is a black 4D incan I bought around 1995. It sat in a closet for over a decade before I discovered Malkoff. Today that same black 4D old Mag has the 700 lumen Malkoff XM-L2 drop in, a glare coated UCL lens and is powered by 4 11000mah Powerex D NiMHs. I swear candela went from 40000 to 75000 just by sheer output alone. It throws like a laser and has the widest beam profile I have ever seen. Also runs at full blast for over 2 hours before stepping down then runs for several more hours. It is the best LED investment I have ever made, expensive in the end but more than worth it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Speaking of LED investments, a few years back I bought a black 2C Mag along with a pewter one based on the advice from one of the first topics I ever read on CPF. (Basically a glowing recommendation of the C-series over the D.)

Immediately afterwards I bought a few of Mag's very first LED upgrades available for their full-sized inca. models. Nothing spectacular. But still a nice improvement. Used the black one as a work light at my security job inside the S&P building during the night shift. (BTW, security at that place was a joke. Incompetent in-house security manager who couldn't even talk to employees without becoming flustered. Assistant in-house security manager who took 7 or 8 vacations a year and was a nervous wreck that his boss might find out. A certain anthrax scare illustrated how incompetent both are due to the ridiculous way they handled it.)

Still have that black one. Never let me down. Actually still have the pewter one too. Never actually ever used it. Both would be useful today. (Glad I no longer have that position at S&P though.)

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I've got 3 D-cell Mags.
3-D non-D serial number
5-D I saved from the trash cause the PO was gonna can it after a battery leak.
6-D I recently got from the Local Ace for cheaper than Amazon Prime prices.
I'm thinking the 6D is getting a Malkoff drop-in in the next week or so. Possibly an aluminum reflector since it'll need to be replaced anyhow.

The 3 and 5 got NiteIze drop-ins. They're OK but I'm having my doubts about the 80hr run times.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use my Mag lights that often but I still have a few that I like.The 2Cs with either a Terralux or Malkoff drop in and 2 lithium AAs or 3 CR123s are my favorites.Most of my Maglites have been "retired" to my collection or put in storage as potential hosts for LED mods.If I see the older Mags at reasonable prices I still pick them up, especially the C-cell models.Incan Mags with LED drop-ins are more or less modular with replaceable parts,something that can't be said for most other LED lights.

edpmis02

Enlightened
Minimags - 1 lux III and 2 XPe versions are sitting without batteries. they work great on fresh cells (except for low PWM flicker) but unreliable on non-fresh or NiMh cells.
2D - 1 Lux III (trashed after battery leak and took apart to clean switch).
2D - 1 XPE - sitting in car. like the big size and dead simple switch (got it at HD for $15.

chip100t

Enlightened
In 2017 I put new batteries in all of mine and took them to the rspca charity shop.