What did you use your flashlight for today?

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure why but our power went out for a couple hours this morning. So wife and I each had one, her an ET T10L, me an ET D2am. Wife had her black diamond headlight for reading as well as making breakfast. Also had bigger lights set around as needed. My wife yelled from the bathroom that the toilet was backing up. I head in there, bumped into my wife,she stumbled, heard metal rolling across tile, and then splooch. Its a horrific sound as we all know what happened. One of the lights just fell in the backed up toilet. Stood there to make sure it wouldn't overflow, then back the laundry room for the rubber gloves. It was a solarforce l2x mpp2 that got knocked in, was standing next to the toilet on the sink so I couldn't just flush it. Had it been something small and cheap, yes I would have flushed it. But this was to big and had some custom stuff done to it. So got it out, tossed it in the tub, then fixed the toilet. Then washed and scrubbed the light with about 10 cleaners about 10 times before I thought it was clean. Hit it with a blowtorch at the end just to be safe. I prob would've autoclaved if I had one. Lights came on about an hour or so later. That light is getting moved to garage duty, as I know its clean, nothing got inside it, and I even cleaned then inside just to be double sure, but my mind just won't accept it.

T45

Enlightened
Used my new EDC, an Eagletac D25A2, to guide my mother and I to our seats at the movies.

Star Trek: Into Darkness.....Fantastic!

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

Today, after work, I headed for the underground parking under the office building. I noticed the lights in the staircase were out and it was pitch dark. No problem, I pulled out the trusty Fenix LD01 R2 and put it on high (72 lumens), which was quite bright in that dark staircase. Suddenly I noticed I was followed by two co-workers who were happy to follow their illuminating collegue. Once past the door, that gave to the parking floor, lights were back on. The two collegues thanked me and went to their cars.
A small use of a flashlight but it shows how useful it is to edc a good flashlight :)

Kind regards,
Joris

Romo Lampkin's Cat

Newly Enlightened
I had a day of car calamities. First, the left rear tire on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caraturd blew, resulting in the van being towed home. After I got a couple of new tires on the vehicle, an awful vibration that had been occuring infrequently over the previous two years emerged again, but this time it wouldn't go away. I narrowed it down to a stuck left rear drum brake so I did my duty and began tearing it apart. (My wife doesn't like not having her van.) The repair took longer than I figured, meaning I was working after dark in the driveway. I had a drop light equipped with a 60 watt-equivalent CFL and my Zebralight SC 600 Mk II. The Zebralight is so much more impressive than the CFL, both in output and color, and I wish only it were attached to my head. (Hmmmm... ZL headlamp purchase? Maybe, just maybe.) I used the drop light for general illumination but when I really wanted to SEE, I used the SC600.

The finish on the SC600 is quite impressive. It was on the driveway a good deal of the time and a couple of times was in contact with parts of the van as I inspected the drum brake backing plate. Not a scratch. This is a TOOL, not a toy. I love it!

turkeylord

Enlightened
On Friday I got bored and modified a cheap 3x5mm light I had sitting on my desk. Out came the 3x5mm LED board and 3xAAA battery holder and in went an XM-L drop-in, RCR123 and a custom made battery holder/spacer (scotch tape and 5 pennies). Went from dim & blue to bright & neutral. :D

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I picked up a transformer to that I had wanted for a little while. I modified it and wanted to photograph my finished work.

I am on vacation at my mother-in-law's house. I brought my DSLR, a SLR gorilla pod, and flashlights. I found a large poster board and used it as a background.

i have my fury combat light and ceiling bounced it to improvise studio lighting.

here is the result.

image21.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Broke up a cat fight, or at least shortened it by a lot.

I was hearing them hiss and fuss for a while when I realised it came from the back. I grabbed my TK40, the TK70 batteries still being on the charger for conditioning. By the time I got up, some neighbours where reprimending their dogs that got excited and kept barking at the cats. 600 lumens of pure pleasure into their brilliant round eyes sent them running around the corner. I could still hear them, so I waited a bit and they came back. Blacky (just his color, no idea what his name is) got a full face-on dose while the Grey Garfield was facing away from me. Blacky finally decided to forfeit after a long minte and definitely was wondering about the light that lost him a fight he had not fought. I think the backyard neighbours also wondered about the light, but I went back to my business, not knowing if they did report a UFO landing.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
Last night, I was on a flight from California to Philadelphia with my girlfriend, and while she was sleeping, one of her contacts fell off and disappeared somewhere. I had to use my EagleTac D25C on moonlight to look in her eye to confirm that it wasn't there, and after shining it around, I was able to find her contact on a tiny metal rail in between our seat cushions. I couldn't help but say "flashlights aren't so stupid now, are they?" to which she replied "Ok, fine!"

Score one for team CPF! :D

edit: On a side note, while we were packing for the trip, she saw me checking the voltages on the batteries for my Fenix PD32UE and D25C and was like "Oh my god, you don't need to bring your flashlights!" Well, I brought them anyways.

Last edited:

chnzwh

Newly Enlightened
Power down! The whole street was in blackout, except my room where 9 SureFire flashlights stood up side down to illuminate the ceiling and shed light on me. Roommate was here to borrow some light while playing guitar. Definitely the best moment for a flashaholic!

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Fenix TK41 to investigate the bowels of a nonfunctional gas furnace... issue turned out to be a clogged pilot burner. Discovered that the entire burner assembly is pretty shaky so I recommended to landlord that he start saving up for a new furnace, which I'm sure he won't, figuring that I'll keep lashing it together until I move out. (I seem to end up fixing something on it every couple months, it's a rickety POS.)

Kemp

Newly Enlightened
Me and my buddy lit up a raccoon with both my NM and TN31 from about 40 yards. Scared the fella so much that he took off running and face planted a tree. Lol :devil:

Romo Lampkin's Cat

Newly Enlightened
I needed to replace both faucets and drains on the wash basins in my bathroom. I used a Rayovac Sportsman 3D lantern standing upside down to illuminate the underside of the basins, something at which it excelled. But when I really wanted to SEE, I used my Zebralight SC600. The drains leaked a little bit after initial assembly (surprise! I'm an amateur...) but with a few hundred lumens, I could easily where the water was originating and make the necessary adjustments.

Last edited:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Annually, on or around Memorial Day, I like to pull our dryer away from the wall to clean out the exhaust tubing and vacuum excess lint. I used my 3D LED Maglite to assist. PS., In the USA, 41 dryer fires start every day due to excessive lint build-up and heat.

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
Went night swimming in a resort's pool with my Fenix TK22. The beam was visible under water and I felt like a Jedi. My bro was there with his Fenix TK 15 and suggested we head to the beach and go night snorkeling. Sounded like a great plan but I was too tired and wasn't too sure about snorkeling at night with our lights in sea water. The resort was near a dive spot, so it would have been interesting. There were lots of fishes during the day...how much more at night! I'll definitely do it next time.

Last edited:

mkien2012

Newly Enlightened
I submerge my newly bought Fenix TK-21 in 2 feet of water to see it lives up to its IPX8 standard.

markr6

Flashaholic
Annually, on or around Memorial Day, I like to pull our dryer away from the wall to clean out the exhaust tubing and vacuum excess lint. I used my 3D LED Maglite to assist. PS., In the USA, 41 dryer fires start every day due to excessive lint build-up and heat.

It sounds crazy, but I actually use my leaf blower to flush out the pipe, then go outside to see the mess.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to do battle today with the brittle chocolate shell on my vanilla ice cream. I just used my light to warm up the top of the shell.

No, I will not wash my hands and face.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Yesterday on Memorial Day (5/27) it wasn't uncommon for people to have get-togethers, parties, etc. as a lot of people had the Holiday off from work. Some people need excuses like Holidays to party which I don't mind, as long as it is tame and not too wild. Around 11 pm I start my usual routine for getting ready to call it a night and head to bed:tired:. Outside I can hear neighbors having a good ol time in their backyard and the associated rowdy noise. I live in a condominium complex so spacing between houses is closer than a normal home. I figure by the time I am ready to crash on my pillow the noise should be gone if they were decent folk. Well by the time 11:30 pm rolls around I still hear the noise coming from their home (~200 ft away). The noise of their conversations and rowdy behavior echoes throughout the neighborhood.

At this point I keep telling myself they will shut up soon, they will shut up soon, it will be quiet very soon:hairpull:. Fifteen minutes passes by and I come to the conclusion that they wont shut up and quiet down on their own. I could have called the police, but the noise wasn't that loud like a obnoxious car stereo with heavy bass going down the street. In my neighborhood in most cases if the call isn't "high priority" noise complaints can take a good amount of time to be responded to (if at all). So I get dressed and I have to decide what to take with me to make the neighbors "see the light" :grin2: in terms of their noise. I decide to take my Mag running a XM-L @ 3.5A (roughly 800L otf, 39k lux @ 1m) and my L2P running a XP-G2 @ 1.9A with a crenulated bezel as backup just in case.

Locked and loaded with plenty of lumens I head on over to the neighbors house. All their windows are open and their front door is open with a metal mesh security door that is locked. I start to bang on the security door creating a racket but that doesn't get their attention. I then rapidly press their doorbell button on and off for 5 around seconds... that definately got their attention:devil:. As soon as I see someone in view (a college aged kid) I unleash the Mag on full blast right at his face:xyxgun::duck:. I then spoke with a loud and firm voice "What the ___ is going on here? People are trying to sleep!" The kid replies "sorry about the noise". I know flashing someone in the eyes with a bright flashlight isn't the nicest thing to do, but neither is waking up the neighborhood at close to midnight:mad:. I also did it to protect myself as well since he couldn't get a good look at me to identify me.

The kid (I assume he lives there) heads back into the house out of view from the front door. I then hear him telling his house guests to be quiet, shhhhh, neighbor, etc. After that I head back home, mission acomplished:thumbsup:. Silence is definately golden:). I didn't hear anything else for the rest of the night. I'm definately suprised though that the people living closer to them don't speak up:confused:. If I can hear the noisy neighbors pretty well from 200 ft away I can't imagine putting up with the noise from a closer distance:shrug:. I guess they are afraid of retaliation, etc. At least for me the residents of the noisy home have that feeling of uncertainty of not knowing who told them to shut up and quiet down:whoopin::rock:.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I'll just say they are repeat offenders (in terms of noise) over many years. I've heard them have parties as late as 2-3 am, not very neighborly in my book.