What did you use your flashlight for today?

turkeylord

Enlightened
I was at a funeral yesterday, and there were also restrooms without any light... Shame on that funeral home owner! When I told him about this, he just shrugged and told me the maintenance guy was sick.
My E05 got used several times as a restroom light.
As the son of a funeral director.... that's ridiculous. :thumbsdow That's the last thing people need to be talking/worrying about at a funeral.

A friend and I used my SolarForce L2M (XML 3-mode) and my H600w MK II to replace some intake parts on his car last Sunday. Mdid we drop a lot of stuff down in the engine bay. :laughing:

eff

Enlightened
Had to replace a cartridge inside a sink faucet. One of the screws was deep inside the faucet and I couldn't see it. I had to use my SC51 on a headband to complete the task :)

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started going on some nighttime walks with my Fenix TK75 (PD32UE and LD01 as backup on my belt) now that the sun is going down earlier around here. I can't believe I waited so long to walk around a nearby college campus. There are some nice large fields beside the paths, and they get really dark as they approach the treeline. It's been great fun to let the TK75 stretch its legs and spot some deer along the edge of the woods.

iapyx

Enlightened
In a couple of months it will be seven years that I have been on this forum and never had an exciting story to share with you flashlight wise. But something weird happened:

it happened a few days ago. Wednesday morning, very early. Around 02:30 AM I was woken up by my neighbour walking like an elephant so loud. I was very sleepy and could not judge yet what the exact sound was and where it came from. How weird, my neighbour never makes such a loud noise. I hardly ever hear him. Then I started realizing what sound I heard: it was clearly from the grit or pebbles on the roof. Here in NL it is being used as a layer on roofs to protect the bitumen (top layer). I thought: what the .... is that? At this time my wife appeared to have woken up too. We heard it both clearly now. Two or three times someone walked over our roof. Our house has four floors and all are ours and the house is part of a block. Ours is at a corner of the block. So.... I opened the window to try if I could see anyone on the roof. I could clearly see two silhouettes on the roof of my neighbour. Could those two be my neighbour with a construction worker discussing something? Then I realised again what time it was: almost 3 AM. So I grabbed my brightest flashlight which happens to be an 800 lumen Surefire UB3T. I went up one floor to the attics. Adrenaline everywhere. Let me explain first: the block where we live has two corner houses at the ends. Ours at one corner an another about 50 meters away at the other corner. In between is a big flat roof. The two corner houses have an extra floor being the attics with pitched roofs. So I opened the only tiny window in our pitched roof giving acces to the flat roofs. As silently as I could. To oversee the flat roofs I had to look at the right. I hear voices, but not as close as I first saw them. I see some guys near the other corner of the block. And now I press on my flashlight giving a sea of light and next I see four guys of which two are sitting on top of the roof some 50 meters from me and two of them standing on the roof next to them. They clearly react like: busted. I keep shining. Obviously not my neighbour. I keep blinding them. Two of them sitting on the top decide to come down. The other two hesitate but after one or two minutes decide to come my way. I don't know what to expect, but don't trust them so I shout at them: what the heck they were doing on my roof. Well, it's also our roof one of them says. I reply: well no, not where you were standing a while ago. Then they want to come and explain and ask me to turn of the light as they cannot see anything. Well, that is exactly my intention I tell them. And I tell them to shut up and leave the roof immediately esp. at this time of the night. One of them apologizes although I don't think he realised the situation. Due to too much alcohol or something alike. The next two hours I could not sleep. Too much adrenaline. Next morning I sms my neighbour what happened and he immediately calls me back. It appears he had heard them too and had called the police. The roof walkers were caught. They rented a room in the other corner house and went roof exploring. According to my neighbour they were trying to break in somewhere. Probably just for fun. Luckily i caught them. The four guys have been told that they are no longer welcome and have been instructed that they will have to take their things and that they will have to leave the house by next Monday (14th of October2013). All the neighbours now want a flashlight like mine :) Until I tell them what it costs hehe

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story and good job!

All I used one of my flashlights and a UV tube/flashlight combo for today (hey, who on here has only one light???) was to help do some repairs on my car:

I have (hopefully had) 2 very small pebble impact points on my windshield (upper left from driver's view point), one of them having slightly cracked the outer layer. I got this windshield repair kit from the auto shop, so I used my main car flashlight to help seeing if the seal was good and if the resin was really bubble-free during the process. The resin is UV cured from sunrays, but I also used a hand-held UV/flashlight combo for a few minutes after the cure time to make sure it was really cured as the sun was closing in on the horizon fast as I was finishing. I can tell the repair is not 100% perfect (they don't guarantee it will be anyways) but I'm hoping I will have saved 40 to 60$ if it is sufficient. Winter will prove me right or wrong...

RWeis

Newly Enlightened
TN31 - walk the dog on low (level 1), check out the owl on the street light post with level 3, dog heard an armadillo checked on level 4, midnight snack tail stand level 1.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN31 - walk the dog on low (level 1), check out the owl on the street light post with level 3, dog heard an armadillo checked on level 4, midnight snack tail stand level 1.

Sounds like the average night to me :D (I don't even have a dog...)

FourBin Labs

Newly Enlightened
Well, this was actually yesterday. But I'm in the middle of a 30 hour work weekend so My schedule if over this Sat/Sun. I guess it's technically still Saturday in California.

I used my 90 CRI Cree EDC light to help identify apples while unloading our van at market. This pic was taken after I was done sorting and it was a bit lighter out.
Having a HCRI light is great for things like this when you have to compare and sort over a dozen varieties of apples that can look very similar.

ecrq.jpg

Ishango

Enlightened
In a couple of months it will be seven years that I have been on this forum and never had an exciting story to share with you flashlight wise. But something weird happened: <snip>

Great story! Nice to have checked it out, but remember to be safe at all times. You must have blinded them pretty well. Good thing your neighbour called the cops on them too (probably you should have done that too) :twothumbs Now get your neighbours a decent flashlight and next time you can blind them from multiple sides.

Much more boring I used the red light mode on my Nitecore SRT3 several times to check on my nephew while I was babysitting.

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
I agree that I should have called the police too.
Another thing I learned about the UI of my flashlight: I have always preferred a clicky over a twisty. My UB3T is a twisty. By pressing the tailcap fully the light goes on max, but after two minutes my thumb started getting tired. I had to release the switch for a second, twist the tailcap to turn the light on constantly and then turn the selector ring to max. It was a bit clumsy. As if I was intimidated by the guys. Now a clicky would not have solved this issue, but at least the light would have stayed on. I cannot remember turning the selector ring, but I must have done that intuitively. For those who don't know the UB3T: max is on the almost outer right with only one clickleft: the strobe on the utmost right. I must have selected max over strobe intuitively. Or maybe I preselected max in advance. I simply cannot remember.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
Living in the same country as iapyx, I also used a powerful light to light up strange noises/people behind the house on several occasions. Having an 800 lumen 'searchlight' (in my case: TK35, TK41 or TK45) sure helps to get unwanted visitors to leave as fast as they can. Or to illuminate a couple of fighting tomcats on a roof, breaking up their fight.

My most recent flashlight use was using my HL21 headlamp in a dark shed, replacing a tire on my bicycle. It even got my neighbor to curse at me: I looked up at him after he greeted me, shining that HL21 right in his night-adapted eyes... Oops.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I used a Mini Maglite AAA incandescent with the Maglite 2 AA Xenon bulb to re-route the connection between my TV and Roku box. I also used it to connect that same TV to an amplified set of rabbit ears. I did not have much reception from the over the air TV signals but the Roku box brings hours of entertainment every day. I decided to give the AAA Mini Maglite incandescent one more chance, so I ordered one on ebay. Of course, the output of the stock (vacuum) bulb is a pee poor 9 lumens, but is well focused. I also decided to give it one more go by placing a 2 AA bulb in a 2 AAA host. It is significantly brighter, but not as focused (though still pretty good for a Mini Maglite. NOW does doing that said "modification" damage the siwtch mechanism of that flashlight or should it be all right? If there is no damage; I could definitely see this light in my edc rotation. Someone please answer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree that I should have called the police too.
Another thing I learned about the UI of my flashlight: I have always preferred a clicky over a twisty. My UB3T is a twisty. By pressing the tailcap fully the light goes on max, but after two minutes my thumb started getting tired. I had to relieve the switch for a second, twist the tailcap to turn the light on constantly and then turn the selector ring to max. It was a bit clumsy. As if I was intimidated by the guys. Now a clicky would not have solved this issue, but at least the light would have stayed on. I cannot remember turning the selector ring, but I must have done that intuitively. For those who don't know the UB3T: max is on the almost outer right with only one clickleft: the strobe on the utmost right. I must have selected max over strobe intuitively. Or maybe I preselected max in advance. I simply cannot remember.

The UI is like that for a reason. Imagine clicking the light several times through various output levels to get to the highest one when you need it right away. Or, possibly, having the clicky switch burn out because it can't handle that much output for a sustained amount of time.