What did you use your flashlight for today?

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Gene Malkoff states honest numbers that err on the side of caution. As PK likes to say "true lumens". Plus his drop in modules have nice long slow decline once voltage of the fuel cell falls below the ability to regulate output.
Like Tech said, those LL numbers run a good long time.
I really appreciate the honest rating of malkoff. I have plenty of other lights that are rated with more lumens than the 80 of the WLL but they are not as bright or as useful. The combo spot/flood reflector from malkoff is so well balanced it’s just unreal.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
My first Malkoff was the WLL in a 6P. What a treat that was.
Eventually I opted for a clicky switch.
The NL is ridiculously bright for being sub 200 lumens (when I bought mine, they may be brighter now).

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
My first Malkoff was the WLL in a 6P. What a treat that was.
Eventually I opted for a clicky switch.
The NL is ridiculously bright for being sub 200 lumens (when I bought mine, they may be brighter now).

I bought a cool white M61L at first, then got the 6p before the M61L came in the mail and went on a night walk with the original p60 in there. I loved that incan beam so much I ordered the WLL before I even got back home.

parnass

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shined a Streamlight Protac 90 right angle flashlight on a shower drain pipe to see if there was a leak.

C

CHNeal

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Used my Hound Dog on the trail for a 7 mile hike before sunrise this morning. Then used my Eiger to replace a faucet in the church bathroom after service.

H

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took another night hike up Black Mountain in Ramona, CA. Started at 4:05 p.m. Got about an hour up the trail before needing a headlight. I used my Nitecore HC60 with a mix of the 210 and 420 lumen settings to get to the top. Made it the 7.3 miles with over 3,000 feet of elevation gain by 7:45 p.m., a 3 hour 40 minute hike to the top (over 2.5 hours in the dark). My headlight had dropped to the 38 lumen setting by then. I kept using it during my 25 minute break at the top before switching to it’s successor, the HC60 v.2. I started down at 8:10 p.m. On the way down, I found that the 250 lumen setting was plenty to see everything down the 12-15 foot wide trail. I only used the 450 and 1200 lumen settings a few times down the trail on some of the sketchier sections. For the first time, I decided to start jogging down large parts of the trail. The beam was even enough to do this safely. It made for a great trail running headlight. I made it down from the top to my car in 2 hours 20 minutes ending at 10:30 p.m. For the hiking portion, I made it up and back a total of 14.6 miles in 6 hours flat (not including the 25 minutes at the top). That’s my best time yet. That trail usually takes someone in decent shape at least 7 hours. I’m definitely liking the new headlight.

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
A lot of plumbing likes to hide in the dark, but they are not prepared for the malkoff’d 6P.

D9EC1B54 99AE 474C 9092 358A1CD5FDFF

H

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiked up Black Mountain again, 14.6 miles. Got over 5 miles in before using a light when it got dark. I used my new Nitecore HC60 v.2 exclusively on the hike. When I got to the top, I made some hot cocoa, had some snacks, changed my socks, and put on extra clothing layers. It was getting cold. Spent about half an hour up top and headed down. After about 5 minutes, I slipped on some rocks and involuntary did the splits (forward and back type). I decided not to jog down this time. I took no drink breaks on the way back to the car and made it back with my headlight running 4 hours even on the 250 lumen setting the whole time. Just made it back before the headlight would have dimmed down. Total time up and down (excluding break at top) was 5 hours 45 minutes. 3 hours 26 minutes up, and 2 hours 19 minutes down.

parnass

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I needed to add air to the tires on a snow blower. I used a Streamlight Protac 1AAA in a dimly lit garage to read the recommended tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The other evening at about 4am I saw Mrs Fixer using the Yuji clad Sofirn C01 I gave her. I was so proud, since she usually uses a 300 lumen retina zapper to navigate the house at that time of day.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used my S2+ SST20 on a headband I have lying around to check on my bike last night. All good. Still prefer my Sofirn SP40 for noggin duty though, the central strap makes all the difference in comfort.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Last night I was out on a project with the boss walking along some uneven ground. Using my Streamlight double clutch for me to see was easy. The boss was to my right so lighting that ground meant I had to keep my head turned right. I just removed my helmet and aimed that to the right a little so we could both see. (the boss uses a celphone for a flashlight.)

The batteries had drained below regulation so it was too dim for flood mode so I used spot mode. Flood mode would have lit the path for both of us. So once I reached my truck I swapped out batteries and the boss left, but not before asking how many spare batteries I carry. I said "well I'm down to less than 25 so it's time to restock."

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Saturday night, I used the home screen of my cell phone to check and adjust the thermostat in the hotel room while everyone was sleeping. Low lumens, but just enough.

C

CHNeal

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Wildcat at 0500 to take the dogs out then a Eiger to feed them

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Oh yeah, just remembered:

I used my Sofirn SP40 to make the coffee this morning. There's no wall between the living room and kitchen in my flat, and my nephew is staying over in the living room, so turning on the ceiling lamps at 5AM is not a cool idea. The SP40, on the 5lm mode, was more than enough to get it done.

ledbetter

ledbetter

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Surefire g2 with malkoff m61n LLLL to roast coffee beans. 95+ cri definitely helps me know when they’re done.

parnass

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used this Streamlight Protac90 today while browsing a dimly lit antique mall. Some of the overhead lights were off making it difficult to view the merchandise.

Protac90

Ishango

Ishango

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I used my Foursevens Mini ML MkIII to find my Elzetta G-EDC-RCR which had rolled under a cabinet. Really similar lights, I still love the twist action on them.

I also used my Petzl Actic Core setting up the christmas tree (had to fasten the tree stand from under the tree in a somewhat dark corner in the living room).

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Ok, here's a fun one...

Since the end of the afternoon my mother was noticing the absence of a face mask that she knew for sure she had washed. She even asked me about it, and I gave a vague answer (thought it was another mask she was talking about), but she didn't let go of the issue, she's stubborn like that. Good thing, because she just now thought of another possibility: that it fell out the window while she was getting other clothes off the line. I pulled out the trusty old Convoy M1 to check, and there it was, on the sill of the window of the apartment below mine!

Here's the thing, though: that apartment is unoccupied, no one has ever lived in it. Good thing that in my family everyone loves fishing.

I McGyvered a fishing line and hook out of cheap kite string and a safety pin we had lying around in our junk stash, lowered it down to the mask and hooked it, then carefully brought it back up. Perfectly successful catch! :buttrock:

Now the mask is airing out, almost ready for when I have need of it again in my rides to work and back, ready to be a hero and defend my face from harsh sunlight and my airways from almost-solid dust, soot and suicidal bugs looking for a human to be swallowed by. Heroes are to be lauded, and no mask left behind! :grin2: