What did you use your flashlight for today?

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I was quite tickled with myself when I swapped in a neutral white XML2 into a "Navy seal" zoomie that a friend gifted me.

LOL... when another friend tried to gift me one of the zoomie clones, I thanked him profusely, but explained that I already had one, and that it would get better/more use in his hands than mine. I was happy that he left with a spare 18650, and a charger for it.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
At my work there is a proposed storm sewer system on hold because of an unidentified 3" black pipe running right smack dab down the middle of where the concrete pipe will go. The drawings were done in 2019 and show a dashed line with unkown between dashes. The engineer told me nobody would ever claim it back then.

Our best guess is old telephone system main trunk line or a really really high voltage electric line from long ago. So it's never a good idea to just chomp through it with the digging bucket of a giant Tonka toy. A phone company guru came out today to "sound" it. We have used a water powered knife to safely expose the cable. And he was going back to cave man mode where you whack it with a shovel and listen for the sound it makes. Thud equals a big group of copper cables wrapped in a rubber sleeve. Ring means it's plastic.

First thing is to wash off the pipe and look for details like texture or stripes. Wash off pipe but being 4 feet in the ground means it's in a shadow. Not when you have an 850 lumen Maglite dialed to spotlight aimed at it. It was fun watching people when I pulled out a 2C sized Maglite and they assume it's an old light bulb model. "Pffft, what's that guy doing with that old flashlight"… Then hit the on switch of the ML150 shorty and "tadah" suddenly "is that a Maglite?" lol.

Unfortuneately the light did not help. No stripes, no texture were seen. Time to sound it. Bump, bump. No thud, no ring. More of a "thwap" like clapping a pair of 2x4's together. Perhaps being 21 degrees outside may have been a factor? All I know is the guru is returning Monday with what he calls a monkey clamp to wrap around it and send sonar in both directions to see if he can find where that sound stops. That may determine if it's disconnected or still live. But he's also bringing with him THE GURU. He says "Tom will know, because if it belongs to us he probably installed it". We're talking like 1965 to 1970 or so.

But I did get a kick out of watching peoples eyes light up when that Maglite lit up that hole like sunshine on a cloudy day.

E

evg12

Newly Enlightened
Lately I've been using an RRT01 with sw45k for most bathroom breaks in the house as I'm trying to EDC it. It's amazing how little light I need in there. :p I go to bed late at night so instead of turning on the daylight kitchen lights when getting milk before bed, I turn on my Fireflies Nov-MU with magnetic tail that has been living on my fridge door. Inside the bedroom I am rotating randomly between my RRT01, Noctigon K9.3 with 2700k SST-20, and my Convoy M21B GT-FC40 for brushing my teeth and getting into bed. For night walks (at least, until winter ends), I take the Convoy 4x18A SBT90.2 or L6 GT-FC40 or Malkoff M91T for the throw in the dark and wooded neighborhood. Sometimes I'll use one of my other lights in my collection not mentioned here - trying to justify each light I own so it's not just a shelf queen. (Well, except my D4v2 UV - don't have much use for it right now.)

tl;dr - I use about 3-4 of my lights each day for daily tasks.

71Scamp

Newly Enlightened
To find my lifting straps so I can do deadlifts and build Christmas hams
I set up my streamlight 6P, which I never liked (on required continuous hold), with a new Malkoff Light end and tailcap switch as a "Headlight" on my Go-Go scooter using a Fenix bike mount. It works like a charm.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
At my work there is a proposed storm sewer system on hold because of an unidentified 3" black pipe running right smack dab down the middle of where the concrete pipe will go. The drawings were done in 2019 and show a dashed line with unkown between dashes. The engineer told me nobody would ever claim it back then.

Our best guess is old telephone system main trunk line or a really really high voltage electric line from long ago. So it's never a good idea to just chomp through it with the digging bucket of a giant Tonka toy. A phone company guru came out today to "sound" it. We have used a water powered knife to safely expose the cable. And he was going back to cave man mode where you whack it with a shovel and listen for the sound it makes. Thud equals a big group of copper cables wrapped in a rubber sleeve. Ring means it's plastic.

First thing is to wash off the pipe and look for details like texture or stripes. Wash off pipe but being 4 feet in the ground means it's in a shadow. Not when you have an 850 lumen Maglite dialed to spotlight aimed at it. It was fun watching people when I pulled out a 2C sized Maglite and they assume it's an old light bulb model. "Pffft, what's that guy doing with that old flashlight"… Then hit the on switch of the ML150 shorty and "tadah" suddenly "is that a Maglite?" lol.

Unfortuneately the light did not help. No stripes, no texture were seen. Time to sound it. Bump, bump. No thud, no ring. More of a "thwap" like clapping a pair of 2x4's together. Perhaps being 21 degrees outside may have been a factor? All I know is the guru is returning Monday with what he calls a monkey clamp to wrap around it and send sonar in both directions to see if he can find where that sound stops. That may determine if it's disconnected or still live. But he's also bringing with him THE GURU. He says "Tom will know, because if it belongs to us he probably installed it". We're talking like 1965 to 1970 or so.

But I did get a kick out of watching peoples eyes light up when that Maglite lit up that hole like sunshine on a cloudy day.
LOL... nice story about the light.
What I really enjoyed was that, while I was reading your story, I thought to myself... this is where you need a guy who has been around the block a few times.
Then you mentioned the Guru, who is going to bring in the GURU!

LOL... love it when a story comes together. :)

Undoubtedly plastic sounds different when it is 20 degrees F, instead of the typical underground 60 F. A few days ago in 20 F. I removed the side panel of my plastic covered generator, and I needed to use more force than I wanted to, because the plastic was non-forgiving. I was very concerned that I might snap off clips that I didn't want to snap off, because the plastic became so brittle.

I thought that the new guy would have used something like this to determine if it was live with current and in use.

Better than that... sending sonar! Man that's cool!

I have a tone generator for tracing wires, a really cool tool, but way too small for tracing wires 3-6 feet underground.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used a violet laser pointer to compare curing times on Bondic adhesive vs a no-name adhesive. Bondic cured in < 5 seconds while the other was still gummy after a couple minutes.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
So PW, does the adhesive change color when cured in a way a violet laser can spot?

Poppy,
What led to jr guru being on site was when the Miss Utility guy stuck a tone generator (similar to your photo) on a tracing wire inside a junction box for his customers cables. His customer is called Lumos. His tone generator reader was picking up things belonging to Comcast and Verizon and the unknown cable, but did not find anything where Lumos stuff is supposed to be. Now the Lumos conduits are 1.5" side by side orange, yellow and black with white stripes. His tone generator found a 3" gray, a 3" orange and the unknown 3" black one. He left scratching his head saying "I have no f*****in idea where my lines are"……lol.

Well, today jr guru says "pffft, his lines are right here" pointing to an area beyond where we are working. He has worked for Verizon since 1981 installing lines until he was promoted to designing system installs so he is very knowledgeable. So when he calls someone a GURU it's like Bear Bryant calling someone else a good football coach.

And an hour or so after making the above post I thought of you as I was using a flashlight to look under my sofa for a missing inkpen.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Bykfixer,
Well... I guess that is a "Day in the Life" :)
What was the decision? Are they going to move the lines? Or put the sewar line elsewhere?

LOL... I hope you found your missing inkpen! Now that TDbank stopped giving them away, you have to actually go out and buy those suckers! Arggg. Life just doesn't get any easier. :crackup:

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
So PW, does the adhesive change color when cured in a way a violet laser can spot?
The Bondic started out yellowish and cured hard and yellowish. The no-name stuff, which is marketed as being optically clear, started out as such and remained so after (eventually) curing to the consistency of silicone caulk. I was using the violet laser to speed up the process as opposed to using a blue or 365nm UV LED. The laser offers a little more punch.

Oh, and I've used those conduit locator toner sets. Very useful as long as there's something metallic in the conduit. If it's buried fiber and it has a steel strength member that will work also.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Thanks for explaining.
My wife did some stuff using epoxy quick cured under a uv lamp. Ear rings and such. I had forgotten uv light can harden some resins.

Woke up at 3, shined a flashlight out my window to see if it was snowing, saw it was and went back to sleep.

Poppy I did not see your post about banks no longer giving out pens.
The project involves adding a 3rd travel lane to a busy road with a giant subdivision being built nearby. It's the kind of place real estate land goes by the square foot. To buy more right of way is cost prohibitive thanks to a "fair market value" law paased in my state where the gubment can no longer swoop in and eminent domain your land for pennies on the dollar.

So the design calls for installing a 600 foot long underground storm water storage system under the new lane. Move it left 5 feet or more you find a bunch more "known" utilities that transmit data to the feds or local governments. Move it right and you have to reduce two lanes down to one on the busy road. So that unknown line has to go but……what is it? Who owns it? And what happens if we just chop out a 600 foot long hunk of it? lol.

It's one of those assigments where nearly anytime you stick a shovel in the ground you find another Easter Egg (as the highway department likes to say). We started in July 021 and this is issue oh, I'd say 50 or so. Most we can zig or zag past, adopt plan B or that sort of thing. It's a lump sum job where the contractor says "we'll build it by your plans for $XX. Easter eggs can mean unforseen conditions cost the client I consult for extra $. So far we've managed to have 2 change orders with a 3rd being developed. Yet the combo so far is less than $20 grand.

Realizing you asked what time it is Poppy and I've explained how to build a clock, I'll say no I did not find the pen. But I did find a frito the dogs missed and a tennis ball.

And I used a thrower before sunrise to see if it was still snowing outside. Wait, I already said that……

Last edited:
K

klip88

Newly Enlightened
I use my flashlight every night in the woods with my kid dogs and wife… tonight will use it to pack up ice fishing gear

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Bykfixer always has the best stories. Rock on, sir!

As for me, I found a tiny roach skittering around in a milk cardboard box (wholesale container holding individual liter boxes) when I was doing groceries not 3 hours ago. So I also got a can of bug spray, and after checking out, thoroughly sprayed all 5 boxes before moving them into the car's boot. Had my S2+ SST20 2700K on the other hand to spot any creepy crawlies that might run out. Better safe than sorry.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
^^ nice.

Tonight I worked a couple of hours after dark. My hard hat has a Streamlight double clutch with alkalines. Figuring since it was about freezing the batteries would struggle but the Rayovac Fusions did fine.
I used a Maglite ML150 shorty to spot stuff in the distance. And when near traffic had a traffic wand over it.

The contractor had some kind of 2D light that was fading fast. Another guy had a 2aa pen light about as bright as a celphone. The only guy with a headlamp said his batteries were dead. I used to help out contractors but these days just shake my head anymore.

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
^^ nice.

Tonight I worked a couple of hours after dark. My hard hat has a Streamlight double clutch with alkalines. Figuring since it was about freezing the batteries would struggle but the Rayovac Fusions did fine.
I used a Maglite ML150 shorty to spot stuff in the distance. And when near traffic had a traffic wand over it.

The contractor had some kind of 2D light that was fading fast. Another guy had a 2aa pen light about as bright as a celphone. The only guy with a headlamp said his batteries were dead. I used to help out contractors but these days just shake my head anymore.

A good portable flashlight is an often overlooked tool by so many construction guys. I don’t get it. It’s just as important as good boots and good power tools.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Agreed. Every one of them had on about $200 in Carhartt gear, who knows how much the boots were but use a celphone for a flashlight.

tech25

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I worked EMS, many of my coworkers and police officers didn’t have decent lights or lights at all. Day or night shift.

During hurricane Sandy, with time to prepare, many had only a single dim light.
I had an MD2/M61L and ZL H52fw on me and a maglight with Malkoff 3D drop in. Good thing I had spare batteries, my lights were constantly being used. Sometimes the only lights in use.
Afterwards, I expected to see better lights but no. Very few updated their light.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Cellphone "flashlights" are ok for the occasional close-up illumination but they don't have any throw, and are terrible for trying to manuever around safely in a dark room.

I was doing a building walk-through with a contractor today and my PD35 came in handy for illuminating his paperwork in dimly lit areas, as well as for safely negotiating around the furniture in a dark room. A nearby coffee table could have easily been a tibia buster without that light.

S

Stagg3r

Newly Enlightened
Well it was truck loading at the wastewater treatment plant while our incinerator is down for annual maintenance. Then I got covid so my brand spankin new K4 219b 4500 and Antman have been very fancy alternatives to a light switch. Isolation ends tomorrow...

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I always get a kick out of seeing somebody on the job using a phone light. One job an electrician had cut the power to the building we were running gas lines in. I saw him fussing with a phone light when he clearly needed both hands to work, and I didn’t have power to my threader anyways so I just put my pd36r on turbo and held it for him from 20 feet back until he finished his tie in.

I did convince my cousin (that I work with) to get a sofirn sc21. Too many times I’ve seen that phone light on the job or him going to the toolbox for his hilti light and I just couldn’t take it anymore. :ROFLMAO: