What did you use your flashlight for today?

D

Dave_H

Enlightened
Not recently, several years back at around 2am I woke up to a loud "pop" outside. We have overhead power feeds. My neighbours to each side had no power (porch lights off) but I'm fed from a different feed and pole transformer, so was still on.

I used my cheap zoomie (3AAA now 18650) flashlight to check pole transformer in my neighbour's back yard; did not see any smoke, sparks, obvious burning etc. Theory is a branch (or squirrel?) shorted out the lines and took out a fuse. Called them up to let them know, then to report to utility. Problem was fixed in a few hours. Had lots of other small lights on hand if needed.

Dave

Megalamuffin

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I used the malkoff md3/m91bn for some water line investigating in a dark building this morning and apartment complex repair work later in the day. Cleaned it up with the other tools on the last job of the day and put it back in my pocket.

623EDD88 A285 4CBA BF0A 4DF0030834A0

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used my PD36R on low to locate some hidden screws in a malfunctioning studfinder, Got it open and discovered that the antenna had come unplugged from the rest of the circuit.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used a fiber optics Visual Fault Locator (a specialized red laser pen with a fiber connector on the end) to trace some connections. The 650nm laser was becoming unusably dim, so I took it apart and bent the positive battery contact to add a little more pressure on the tip of the battery and that made it brighter again.

Monocrom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Couple of nights back, had a raccoon sneak up close to me in the parking lot while I was standing by the trunk of my car. In my neck of the woods, 9 times out of 10, these critters are either rabid or are carriers of rabies. Out came the flashlight I was testing for several weeks to review on my YT channel. Mag-lite Mag-Tac (non-rechargeable model).

320 emitter lumens right to the eyes. He froze, I backed away while keeping the light on him. (One thing I've learned with such critters is that strobe doesn't work at all on them. But a solid, steady beam does!) Wish it had more output and more throw. Thankfully I got to a safe distance before he started moving again. First time ever seen one of those at the client's site. I'm worried for the handful of stray cats we have who call that place home. Let's just say, now that I'm done with testing and evaluation purposes; I'll be EDCing something else.

A

aznsx

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Couple of nights back, had a raccoon sneak up close to me in the parking lot while I was standing by the trunk of my car. In my neck of the woods, 9 times out of 10, these critters are either rabid or are carriers of rabies. Out came the flashlight I was testing for several weeks to review on my YT channel. Mag-lite Mag-Tac (non-rechargeable model).

320 emitter lumens right to the eyes. He froze, I backed away while keeping the light on him. (One thing I've learned with such critters is that strobe doesn't work at all on them. But a solid, steady beam does!) Wish it had more output and more throw. Thankfully I got to a safe distance before he started moving again. First time ever seen one of those at the client's site. I'm worried for the handful of stray cats we have who call that place home. Let's just say, now that I'm done with testing and evaluation purposes; I'll be EDCing something else.

Glad you both were able to retreat safely and move on without serious incident, and interesting that the light apparently gave you just a bit of distraction time to make a move. I'd say reliability was king on that occasion, and I guess the Mag passed its test!

dotCPF

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Ended up being such a nice night I was insistent on working on my car. Used my AT Wizard Nichia stuck onto the hood latch as a fill/ overhead, and my trust Zebralight H600c mkIV as my main. More than enough light to work in the pitch dark, running both on their medium settings. Both still show excellent charge after a few hours of work.

THIS is the value of all that increased output and efficiency, hours of light out of two tiny, pocketable things and they still have tons of charge! Really impressive what today's tech is capable off.

fulee9999

fulee9999

Enlightened
Ended up being such a nice night I was insistent on working on my car. Used my AT Wizard Nichia stuck onto the hood latch as a fill/ overhead, and my trust Zebralight H600c mkIV as my main. More than enough light to work in the pitch dark, running both on their medium settings. Both still show excellent charge after a few hours of work.

THIS is the value of all that increased output and efficiency, hours of light out of two tiny, pocketable things and they still have tons of charge! Really impressive what today's tech is capable off.

I agree, the ArmyTek Wizard Nichia is a beast in efficiency, I use mine as a headlamp on med-med, usually 10-15 minutes continuous use at the time and with the Sanyo red 3500 mah cell it's been months since I needed to charge it.

bykfixer

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Using my PK Design Lab PR-1 at mid-day I lit up inside a water valve box like a champ. It's a 5+ foot deep 6" round tube that's dark in daylight.

I could have walked 100 paces back to my truck and dug out a mirror like the old days or I could zap the shadow with a 1xRCR by the Photon King that was in my trouser pocket.

Idea was to determine about how deep the waterline is. The nut on top of the valve is about 1 foot above the pipe itself. Box was full of dirt at 3 feet so the workers had to find it with shovels. Dratz!

fulee9999

fulee9999

Enlightened
I grilled up some meat for friends and family and it got dark, so the missus brought out my Sofirn Q8 Pro to light up the area we were staying in, amazing amount of light from such a small device

Stefano

Stefano

Enlightened
Today I read here on the forum an old thread from 2010 about Zebralight H51.
How many memories about this model, it was my first Zebralight.
I searched for my old H51w but found it packed in an airtight package (faraday cage) and left it there.
However, I found a H31w and a H502 first series cool withe.
Other times when 200 lumens seemed like a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 17
tech25

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my H51fw. It’s so much more compact and lighter than the 18650 equivalent, although it’s a trade off with power.

Stefano

Stefano

Enlightened
To escape the heat, I decided to go to a mountain of 1300 meters.
In the short drive from the parking lot to the top of the mountain I used the Fenix HM61R.
Unfortunately, at powers above 50 lumens it is impossible to use a headlamp due to moths and other insects.
I had to turn off the headlamp and turn on the Fenix PD36R, the insects chased the distant spot.
Also used Fenix CL09 at one lumens level when I ate something on top but then after a few hours I had to leave due to the wind storm.

desert.snake

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

If possible, try a slow strobe, it worked quite well today on a pack of rather aggressive wild dogs. I strobe manually, maybe once every 2-3 seconds, it was a Malkoff hound dog 18650 xt. I suppose that with a slow strobe and the surrounding darkness, the eye expands and narrows constantly, and gets tired faster.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
It's the Southern Hemisphere's (Inter)national Flashlight day! So I celebrated by going through my pre-work morning routine (bathroom, brewing coffee and setting up breakfast) lit entirely by my Sofirn SP40 headlamp. Didn't find myself wanting for the ceiling lamps at any point, the Sofirn got all my needs covered.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I ran across a really old non-contact HV sensor today. It was dead so I disassembled it to see it's innards. In the process the small NE-2 neon bulb slipped out and disappeared onto the floor. My PD36R enabled me to find it before stepping on it.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I ran across a really old non-contact HV sensor today. It was dead so I disassembled it to see it's innards. In the process the small NE-2 neon bulb slipped out and disappeared onto the floor. My PD36R enabled me to find it before stepping on it.
PW's reliable Fenix EDC saves the day again! :party: From the amount of posts of yours here, this PD36R is really living up to the renown your old PD35 made for itself, huh?

Last edited:
PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
PW's reliable Fenix EDC saves the day again! :party: From the amount of posts of yours here, this PD36R is really living up to the renown your old PD35 made for itself, huh?
Yes it does! And you have a good memory, Jean-Luc! I've really gotten my money's worth out of both of these lights and they're still going strong.

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
We had a power outage a couple of nights ago. We used a Hyper Tough COB light to light up the kitchen via ceiling bounce, a generic LED puck light in the bathroom, an old Ray-O-Vac LED lantern to illuminate the bedroom, a couple of headlamps, and my trusty PD36R as my walking-around light. Fortunately the power was restored a few hours later.