What did you use your flashlight for today?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
We got a localised blackout at home right this moment. A few lights are in use:
> Convoy S2+ SST20 2700K on the living room/kitchen divider, on ceiling bounce duty
> My new Convoy S21A 519A 3500K on me, providing light in the bedroom through wall bounce
> Lumintop Tool LH351D on the nightstand, also in wall bounce
> Sofirn SP40 XP-L 2700K riding my cranium, off but just in case
> Lumintop Tool AA v2.0 on my nephew's pocket, currently not in use

Fun times! I'll probably have some fun and head down to dump the rubbish feeling like a spelunker, before the power is restored :sssh:

EDIT: Either I'm a previously unknown precog or, more likely, I jinxed myself good. Not 30 seconds after this post... power comes back full force. Didn't even have the chance to spelunk the trash out as intended :awman:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got relieved yesterday morning. Co-worker likes to listen to the busted old radio we keep at the desk. I never use it. Only thing on during the Graveyard Shift remotely interesting is a female psychiatrist whom I learned is a huge supporter of the Baader Meinhof group, to this day. Stopped listening after that. Obscene that someone like that has a career anywhere.

Radio wasn't working. Co-worker thought it got accidentally unplugged. He starts checking the bottom of the desk. Almost pitch black. Before I left, I pulled out my Streamlight Polytac 2xCR123 light with 600 rated lumens. Lit up the bottom of the desk. Turns out, wasn't unplugged. He got it working again after fiddling with a couple of the settings.

Galvnometer

Newly Enlightened
I grabbed the nearest flashlight to hand which was an Manker MC13, to find some tools in the loft. I should have found the tools before I turned the power off but I forgot and the flashlight was nearer than the Electric DB, when I remembered.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used my S2+ 219C on 10% power to light up the sidewalk on the way to the pizza place one block over from home. The side I was walking on is much wider than the other (a contingency if the street ever has to be widened) and only the other side had streetlights, so my path was murky.

The S2+ did a good job. No tripping hazards got me and I got back home safely with dinner in hand.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Streamlight Polytac 600 rated lumens LED to check for debris at the client's main parking lot. Thankfully, not enough for me to write up an extra report.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
2aa camo Defiant hangs on a nail by the back door. It has gotten used since the new dog arrived to light the yard for his 10pm potty run.

B93856D9-B35E-4438-B9EB-DE195ECA2558.jpeg

The dog said "I'll get my own flashlight, thank you"

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
These days my primary "real" use for flashlights is looking for stuff I lost under the truck seat. Still very happy with SF G2X Pro as designated truck light... on low it's about right for searching in the dark and on high it's about right for searching during the day.

Next most common use for a flashlight is looking down the barrel of another flashlight to figure out if I need a spacer magnet on the +ve end of a flat-top lithium ion cell. I was surprised to find that my old AW flat top 18500s work just fine in an equally old 2C Maglite without any kind of spacer.

Now let's ignore these so called "real" uses for a bit and get back to why I really have them - last night I fired up my SF Z2 with LF HO-9 and 2 RCR123's and marvelled at the nice white balloon of light, then did the same with a 2D ROP low Maglite. There's something about the beam shape of the HO-9 that I really like, however.

After my last WA1185 bulb blew I started ordering alternative bulbs in the hope of keeping my flashlights going... the first ones started showing up yesterday so bulb testing starts today.

Actually I'm being unfair in terms of "real" uses - back in May we had a storm that took down power lines all over the province, and I was without power for about 2 weeks, so the flashlights got a real workout along with the occasional pressure lamp.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used my PD36R to help pull some co-ax through the house. It was useful for identifying possible pathways as well as charging the glow rods for pulling the cable through.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Man oh man I have to confess I did a bad thing today. I went to my sons house to show him how to light the hot water tank pilot and did not bring a flashlight. Not 3, or 2, not even 1.
:eek:

Luckily I must have taught him well because he offfered me the option between a Streamlight Strion, Maglite Solitaire and a Streamlight Microstream. Phew!! That was a close one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Man oh man I have to confess I did a bad thing today. I went to my sons house to show him how to light the hot water tank pilot and did not bring a flashlight. Not 3, or 2, not even 1.

Luckily I must have taught him well because he offfered me the option between a Streamlight Strion, Maglite Solitaire and a Streamlight Microstream. Phew!! That was a close one.
We'll just pretend the 1st half never took place. 🔦

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened

Naughty byk :twak: 😹

Nice to see your teachings of our mania ART saving the day! lol

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
These days my primary "real" use for flashlights is looking for stuff I lost under the truck seat. Still very happy with SF G2X Pro as designated truck light... on low it's about right for searching in the dark and on high it's about right for searching during the day.

Next most common use for a flashlight is looking down the barrel of another flashlight to figure out if I need a spacer magnet on the +ve end of a flat-top lithium ion cell. I was surprised to find that my old AW flat top 18500s work just fine in an equally old 2C Maglite without any kind of spacer.

Now let's ignore these so called "real" uses for a bit and get back to why I really have them - last night I fired up my SF Z2 with LF HO-9 and 2 RCR123's and marvelled at the nice white balloon of light, then did the same with a 2D ROP low Maglite. There's something about the beam shape of the HO-9 that I really like, however.

After my last WA1185 bulb blew I started ordering alternative bulbs in the hope of keeping my flashlights going... the first ones started showing up yesterday so bulb testing starts today.

Actually I'm being unfair in terms of "real" uses - back in May we had a storm that took down power lines all over the province, and I was without power for about 2 weeks, so the flashlights got a real workout along with the occasional pressure lamp.

The HO-9 is indeed a great bulb with a nicely balanced beam.