What did you use your flashlight for today?

Poppy

Flashaholic
A big "serious" looking flashlight in the hand will also tend to make people think you're security or a cop, in my experience. Well, except for my stupid neighbor who saw me using a bright light as I walked up to my (dark!) front apartment door, and freaked out because she thought I was about to burglarize the place.

She was hollering at me from her door demanding to know who I was etc etc etc. I wanted to ask if she makes a habit of confronting large, strange men in the dark. Like I said, not too smart.
I hope that you bought her a Christmas or hanukkah gift, or what-ever to thank her for defending your property.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
True. Though that particular light isn't too big. Have to be honest, guessing not too many burglars switch on a super bright and powerful flashlight right before breaking in. 😆

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Its all ice out here and I kept seeing out of view the back yard motion light coming on. I walk out with my wonderful and trusty Surefire VTac L4 to take a look. Its this sweet, yet skiddish black cat that kept setting it off. I tried to get the kitty warm but alas she runs away.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used the M21B at the super market to try to find an alternate brand of bay leaf at the rear of the spice rack. No luck; the only cheaper brand spices were cinnamon, nutmeg, saffron, rosemary and annatto. Had to get the costlier bay leaf.

Even if it costs more than intended, I cannot go without adding some bay leaves when pressure cooking my beans.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Figuring Mrs Fixer would not arrive from work before dark I thawed some burgers to cook indoors. Suddenly she appeared about 30 minutes before dark. It was nearly 70 degrees outside. Burgers on charcoal grill baby.

Now being dusk meant the motion sensor lights inside my unlit shed should have activated, but they did not. Light near the door was a no go as well. I have several inexpensive lights with magnets throughout the metal shed but only one worked. All plastic body in case alkaleak occurs clean up easier. But first things first, cook the burgers and hot dogs.

After supper was done I used a Streamlight stylus pro 360 in tail stand/lantern mode to inspect each of the non-working flashlights. If used at chest level it does a good job at spreading light while not blinding the user. At chin level to eye level it's a blinder if you look towards it. I scuffed the lantern lens portion of mine last summer, which helps.

So it turns out the batteries had depleted in all but one light, which was an early model Craftsman LED stick light that had three ancient Radio Shack leakers. After scuffing the spring with sandpaper and replacing the batteries that one went back to running. Actually one $5 home depot brand COB stick light would not work at all. No leaker or other factor was noted. It just didn't want to light with new batteries.

The motion sensor lights get lithiums but being 3aaa numbers they don't have a lot of run time. My thought is the window to the shed stays open and a curtain moves when the wind blows to the lights probably turned on a lot. I closed the window.

Anyway the Streamlight stylus pro 360 makes for a decent little bench light in a pinch and a good path lighter when trotting in and out of an unlit structure.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Last night two stray cats decided to do their best impression of a Karen vs. Karen screaming match under my window. Lit them both up real good with my C8+ LNM1 thrower, and the light plus a harsh hiss made them run.

As I was closing the window, I heard another yowl. So I went down to ground level with the M21B set to the brightest mode* and shooed one of the cats out altogether. No idea where the other one went.

*: 50% of max, the highest mode in the mode group I'd selected. Still, 21700 light running an FC40, so still pretty bright.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I use my flashlights every day and night. Our cats enjoy watching me retrieve their toys after they swat them under the fridge. I probably over illuminate when wife and I go for evening walks. I am amazed at how many people walk at night without flashlights in our subdivision.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Showed up to the start of my graveyard shift job the other night. Literally still in my car. I usually drive around to check a pedestrian gate that is supposed to be closed. Practically never is. Lock on it. Never used. What do I spy against the large West wall? Another vehicle. Yet another trespasser. Trying to hide up against the tall delivery Box-truck like all of them do. (Box-truck is authorized to park on-site.) Talked about this issue before on CPF. Literally every trespasser parks there, thinking security won't notice. Meanwhile, it's the first place we check! Literally the first one.

Literally not in the mood to go inside, change, come back out again (this time on foot in the freezing cold), to do this stupid nonsense all over again. Parked behind the vehicle. Got out. Instantly unclipped my Klarus XT2CR Pro and slipped it into my hand. (Never know when 2100 rated lumens on Turbo w/ instant access might come in handy.) Driver started slowly opening the door. I identified myself and politely & professionally asked him to leave. He complied.

The collective passive-aggressive community mentality where I work is just downright sickening. Silly me, when I was a child; I was taught to respect other peoples' private property. Guess that's not done anymore. Also, now I keep my other Winter watchcap folded up on the seat next to me. Private purchase item. Technically not part of my uniform. But has the word SECURITY sewn into it in big white lettering. Switch watchcaps if this happens again.
Some people always think they are smarter than others and that they won't be caught...

I really like the XT2CR Pro, I think Klarus really nailed it with that UI. I'm surprised almost no manufacturer came up with that UI.

I hope Klarus will get rid of the rubber USB cover though. I know they do the job but I never liked them.
Maybe the next XT2C update will have a hidden USB port like on the Fenix TK20R or Thrunite Archer.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used my MagTac 2 to check the wound on my pup who just had his baby makers removed. Since this is a family channel there'll be no pictures. Suffice to say the wound looks normal.
35060269-1AAC-422E-B307-931E432079CB.jpeg

"What's the point of living anymore?" 🥺

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my MagTac 2 to check the wound on my pup who just had his baby makers removed. Since this is a family channel there'll be no pictures. Suffice to say the wound looks normal.
View attachment 37251
:)
Seriously though, that sounds like precisely the sort of occasion when 'hi' CRI rules supreme (at least in my experience).

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been going on some family walks recently right around or after dark, and when I do that I turn my EDC on turbo when we cross the road or walk on sections with no sidewalk. It always seems to cause cars to slow down and go way around us which is great. Nowadays I've been using the Fenix TK22 TAC for that which is extremely bright and effective for the job.

In fact, our neighbor thought that her phone light was going to be brighter, or at least seemed to trust it to get cars to notice us more. It was a little bit amusing when she glanced over and said, "Oh, I guess that your light is pretty bright." 😂

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night walked my pup using my mmu-x3vn maxed out all the way just for fun 😊 not everyone was happy about that, but I was :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some people always think they are smarter than other and that won't be caught...

I really like the XT2CR Pro, I think they really nailed it with that UI. I'm surprised almost no manufacturer came up with that UI.

I hope Klarus will get rid of the rubber USB cover though. I know they do the job but I never liked them.
Maybe the next XT2C update will have a hidden USB port like on the Fenix TK20R or Thrunite Archer.
Honestly, that rubber cover is going to easily be the first thing that wears out on it. I used it twice, then realized the issue with it. Now I just take the battery out and use a separate charger.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
View attachment 37251
Poor little guy.
To be honest, that "legal requirement" is why growing up, and now; I refuse to get a dog. Even though I really want one. Spade and neuter to me are just politically correct terms for.... Well, like you said; Family Friendly forum.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's not a legal requirement where I live. It's a thing where he'll be uncomfy for a few days but then won't be stressing over expanding the species for the next decade or so. We usually acquire rescue dogs but opted for a pup this time.

I was up at 2am swapping bulbs in my 1950's Tom Thumb light, using a Sofirn C01 (sophie) to see by. The original bulb lasted 50 years. The 10 cent bulb, 8 weeks. I added another 10 cent bulb this time but later today will replace it with a period bulb.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the morning I turned on the flashlight inside the jacket on the turbo to warm my hands 👐

In the evening I took NiMH AA batteries and turned on the Convoy T3 and the old Zebra SC52w. Outwardly, they have about the same brightness. The convoy was bright longer, but then the battery protection cut-off worked, zebra's cutoff worked about 10 minutes later. Batteries 1.01V and 1.05V after turning off the lights, that's fine for me

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's not a legal requirement where I live. It's a thing where he'll be uncomfy for a few days but then won't be stressing over expanding the species for the next decade or so. We usually acquire rescue dogs but opted for a pup this time.
Not trying to claim any moral high ground. The poor pup looks downright depressed. It's just that, certain things I can't bring myself to do them. That one being right up there. I EDC a lighter but have never smoked. Won't lend it to any young man or woman who asks me if I have a light. Good friend passed away a couple of years back from Cancer. Smoker most of his life.

On Topic: Used my Klarus XT2CR Pro all week at work. Literally for a minute or minute and a half each time. Charging up the solar-powered battery in my Citizen Eco-Drive watch. Third brightness setting on that Klarus model. Tried using turbo, but that turns the light into an instant hand-warmer. (Though more like hand-melter.)

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited: