What did you use your flashlight for today?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using my new (expensive) vacuum and right away the light bothered me. It was dim, cool and low cri. Out came my malkoff M91BN- much better but wanted hands free so switched to a ZL H600fc.

A slightly brighter and warmer led would make it easier to see the dirt on the carpet…

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I am rearranging my bedroom, and a part of that was removing the wall lamp that I had. So, until I get it refitted, I am using my Emisar DT8K (E21A 4500K) as a bed reading lamp. I fortunately opted for the magnetic tailcap, which locks nicely onto the steel shelf brackets that I have over the bed.

I have to say, even when just reading a book, I am appreciating the hCRI LEDs. ❤️

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The other night, I pull into my 3rd shift job as usual. I'm headed over towards a couple of gates by the Southwest corner as I usually do. Just easier checking them as I pull into work due to being in such an out of the way spot. I usually check them, get back in my car, sweep across the West wall for trespassers, and then park.

For a few weeks, we've had a couple of large, orange, shipping containers (the kind that semis transport), sitting near the Southwest corner. With a few large concrete slabs next to them.

None of my business. Well, that night as I walk by them to get to the gates, I see two large planks of wood set on top of one of the slabs. Each plank with a very long (maybe 5 or 6 inch screws) sticking up from each plank. I mean about an inch in each plank. The rest, sticking up. Using my Eagtac P200LR on high-mode to illuminate this ridiculous nonsense. It looked as though one of the maintenance guys bought himself a new drill (likely from the large hardware box store near the site) and decided to test it out. Looks like the drill is a POS. But he just left the planks there. Where literally anyone could hurt themselves.

Another maintenance guy walking by, trips, falls lands on the exposed screw. Loses any eye. Maybe passes away depending on how deep it goes. Or, a trespasser jogging through the property, not paying any attention, sues the client for getting hurt on the client's property. You never hear a judge say, "Wait a minute, you were trespassing on property that doesn't belong to you, when you got hurt. Had you not been trespassing, you wouldn't have gotten hurt. I'm not awarding you anything. Pay your own damn hospital bills, and be grateful you weren't tossed into jail for admitting you broke the law in the first place."

But no, that type of common sense doesn't happen. So, I knocked both of the plants in a little long open space in-between one of the containers, and one of the slabs.... Where literally no one can get to without moving one or the other. Yeah, maybe don't use a concrete slab as a work-bench.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What type of LED you got in that thing man?
Just the stock one that comes with the light.
I know there's some flexibility, and you can order a few different emitters. But I went with the default option since I'm testing this light for an up-coming review on my main YouTube channel.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the stock one that comes with the light.
I know there's some flexibility, and you can order a few different emitters. But I went with the default option since I'm testing this light for an up-coming review on my main YouTube channel.
Cool. Let us know if you happen across that info. I'd be interested to the extent it might would impact any observations you may have when using it. I wasn't aware there was any 'default', as the only place I'd consider buying ET from has a handful of options, and ya gotta pick one - ain't no 'default' - so I have no idea what yours shipped with. NBD, just curious if you run across that info;-)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Used my old S2+ to rifle through a box of snacks and candies. The pebbled 25º TIR makes it a real pleasure to carry and use, despite the somewhat underpowered rig of 7135x4 driver and 219C emitter.
I like the 4x7135 S2+ for camping. Even on high, it will run for hours, and the battery will last for the duration of the trip, even in the hands of a young scout.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I went to pick up my car in the mechanic after a gearbox overhaul and some more periodic maintenance, and when I got out the gears were acting VERY wonky. With considerable struggle, I got back to the mechanic for a second look.

Turns out, the actuating cable responsible for engaging first and second gear had only just snapped. When I "engaged" first gear, it was third, and second was fourth.

The S2+ came in handy again today, as well as the M2, to look into the engine bay to diagnose the problem.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I installed the driver in T3 519A instead of the one that was not working correctly and compared it with T3 with XP-P. In the same reflectors and brightness levels, the difference in lux in the hotspot 6 times. Then I went to the basement, it's a mini-labyrinth made of concrete and there are compartments for various people, E27 incandescent lamps are installed. To prevent the lamps from breaking down, people unscrew them a little in front of their compartments, so as not to waste their resource if someone turns on the light for themselves and then forgets to turn it off. Therefore, you need to turn on the main switch and go with a flashlight to your compartment, then screw in the light bulb so that it works. Something like this place, but it's the end of the corridor, you have to walk to it
1719141093506.png

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I installed the driver in T3 519A instead of the one that was not working correctly and compared it with T3 with XP-P. In the same reflectors and brightness levels, the difference in lux in the hotspot 6 times. Then I went to the basement, it's a mini-labyrinth made of concrete and there are compartments for various people....
View attachment 63874
For just a split second there.... I thought you were telling us where you stored your victims to dispose of them, later.

No worries. All of our CPFer secrets are safe with each other. 😉

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Those flashlights are handy. Which do you find that you use more often the S2+ or the M2?
They sure are! And it depends on the time of day more than anything.
- When it's daytime or there are bright lights around, the M2 has a lot of candela to punch through the surrounding brightness and really get into those dark corners.
- When it's dark, the S2+ with that flood/throw balanced 20º beam TIR makes for much more convenient light.

The M2 is my vehicle torch and the S2+ is my current EDC, but I use both about equally.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So, I get to work last night. Checking the usual gates technically before the start of my shift, since those are just easier to do when I first pull into the parking lot. I'm near the now infamous West wall that you all know about. Well, away from the wall (about one complete row back) I see a sedan that definitely looks unfamiliar. Sandwiched in-between a long Transport van, and an NYPD black Ford Explorer SUV. Both of those are authorized to park there. Then I see the vehicle, with its headlights on BTW, is a rockin.'

Well, guess who came a knockin'! Knockin' on their rear driver's door! And no, it wasn't the Raven. But someone ended up getting laid "nevermore" that night! Eagtac P200LR on high mode in hand.

Things got serious for awhile there though. While the fully naked dude looked to be easily in his mid. 20s, the fully naked girl looked underaged! She looked 12 year-old! Yes, naked guy now had a big burly, scary-looking dude who looks like the psycho from the film "Full Metal Jacket" yelling at him loud enough that the entire surrounding neighborhood could hear, that I better see some I.D. for the girl! Or, he's going to prison for a very long time! At that point, the girl reaches for her shorts, and taps on the glass from inside, while on her knees on the backseat. Screaming that she has I.D., as she's pressing her Driver's license against the glass. I've seen enough fake I.D.s to spot one instantly. Thankfully for the naked dude, her I.D. was legit, and showed she was 19 years-old.

Honestly, she was very skinny, short, and had a baby-face. Literally looked no older than 12. I yelled at him to get going since he was trespassing on Private property; and to NEVER return. Oh, he complied very quickly. His date was seriously ticked off. Not at me though! She was yelling at him that she didn't even want to come here, and demanded he drive her home as she started getting dressed while still in the backseat.

So.... How was your night?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Thanks @Jean-Luc Descarte , each time I see you post about your M2, I think... I should get one.
Here's the thing, Poppy, I like mine and use it often but I cannot in good conscience recommend it to others. The bezel assembly's design means it has basically no ingress protection, because the o-ring under the lens is only thick enough to stop the lens from rattling, not to seal off water from seeping in. I'd say get the M21B, it has much better design on that front. That or the M1 if you insist on a thinner 18650 body, as both use the same head.
So, I get to work last night. Checking the usual gates technically before the start of my shift, since those are just easier to do when I first pull into the parking lot. I'm near the now infamous West wall that you all know about. Well, away from the wall (about one complete row back) I see a sedan that definitely looks unfamiliar. Sandwiched in-between a long Transport van, and an NYPD black Ford Explorer SUV. Both of those are authorized to park there. Then I see the vehicle, with its headlights on BTW, is a rockin.'

Well, guess who came a knockin'! Knockin' on their rear driver's door! And no, it wasn't the Raven. But someone ended up getting laid "nevermore" that night! Eagtac P200LR on high mode in hand.

Things got serious for awhile there though. While the fully naked dude looked to be easily in his mid. 20s, the fully naked girl looked underaged! She looked 12 year-old! Yes, naked guy now had a big burly, scary-looking dude who looks like the psycho from the film "Full Metal Jacket" yelling at him loud enough that the entire surrounding neighborhood could hear, that I better see some I.D. for the girl! Or, he's going to prison for a very long time! At that point, the girl reaches for her shorts, and taps on the glass from inside, while on her knees on the backseat. Screaming that she has I.D., as she's pressing her Driver's license against the glass. I've seen enough fake I.D.s to spot one instantly. Thankfully for the naked dude, her I.D. was legit, and showed she was 19 years-old.

Honestly, she was very skinny, short, and had a baby-face. Literally looked no older than 12. I yelled at him to get going since he was trespassing on Private property; and to NEVER return. Oh, he complied very quickly. His date was seriously ticked off. Not at me though! She was yelling at him that she didn't even want to come here, and demanded he drive her home as she started getting dressed while still in the backseat.

So.... How was your night?
Time for that girl to reconsider her choice in a mate. Sounds like her current fling is not smart enough for a sustainable relationship.