What did you use your flashlight for today?

ven

Flashaholic
Used my h2r as always each day to carry out engineering work. Now using an air mask with filter which covers head and supplies air and keeps out dust. I could not be bothered messing about fixing the H2r to the mask. So i used the H03 nw with olight clip on the safety harness for light. Also with a magnetic base, simply removed and stuck for a work light when needed. I have a couple now, not a little over $25, it could quite possibly be the best value head lamp for the money. Decent ano, decently made, NW tint of 4500-5000k which is perfect. Plenty bright with maybe 1000lm on tap, on top of this, similar UI to zebralight's ...................what not to like!. Not sure on the long term life of these, no drops of yet. Even still........................imho its pretty much the best value lamp out there.
Home H03 nw
5qtj3gyl.jpg

ASRmcDJl.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation, Ven. The Skilhunt website even includes a run time graph, which I appreciate.

On a more serious topic, is that Shaggy on your night stand?

ven

Flashaholic
Yes I may have found(pinched ) it off my lad haha. I actually found it on the roof , out of the bathroom window. Must have been thrown out by him ages(possibly years) back. So I just stuck(not literally) him there .

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20181208-080807.jpg

No heat saga continued:
Mrs Fixer sent me a text to show the new climate control system had been dropped off.
Yaaaay!!

Now where is the contractor?
My buddy the expert got flooded with calls and jobs so he was three weeks out and 600 miles away. He hooked me up with a contact to get one fresh from the factory to ensure what I received would have any updates by the manufacturer.

After doing some research I found a local guy with decades of experience making somebody else rich and had recently decided to go his own way. I said "so I have this thing being delivered, can you install it this week?" He says "Wednesday" and quotes a price that was about 1/3 of the competition. I did not tell him "oh by the way I'm an inspector and my buddy is an expert with an OCD perfectionist syndrome who installs these things and he's going to critique your install after". I have an unfair advantage but just want heat so Mrs. Fixer doesn't shiver while drinking her morning coffee.

What I needed was a person who could do the basic install and do it correctly. Wednesday afternoon I get a text from Mrs. Fixer saying "we have heat". Right on.

I was working out of town this week so I did not get to watch the contractor. My shoulder is messed up or I would've installed it myself. That's another story involving a crash on a skateboard in 2007 with recurring issues....

Anyway, I get home and start inspecting the contractors work. It's level, check; piping is correct, check; wiring looks good, check; he reused a couple of things that my buddy said "what?!? he didn't replace that?!?" but it really didn't need replacing and the contractor did what we agreed to. A basic install of a new unit.

Later on, it's dark and my house is warm. There's warm air wofting in the den from vents but I don't hear anything outside. Curiosity caused me to get out my PR-1 and go check out this thing called a package unit. It's cold as a polar bears toenails outside as I'm all checking out this new Goodman unit. I'm out there removing screws to inspect under the hood so to speak. The final death blow to the former system was this thing called a heater exchange that is sorta like an exhaust header on a hot rod and Goodman apparently has redesigned theirs to be much more efficient. I also wondered why the heck it is so quiet so the PR-1 was used to see the panels are insulated in areas the former was not. Lots of sound reducing ideas were seen.

Mrs. Fixer and the dogs were all nestled inside keeping warm while I was outside giggling like a school kid taking this thing apart.

The contractor will never know the level of observation that took place last night. Having a bit of OCD myself I did see a couple of minor issues I'll correct.

When I came back inside Mrs. Fixer asked "how'd he do?" I replied "B+". My buddy still texting me all ranting about this and that as his perfectionist ways had him all twisted in knots. I sent one back saying "Mrs. Fixer is warm, the dogs are warm, the unit is level and I got what I paid for". I understand his frustration and explained how as an inspector I saw he had met the criteria. In my job I see things others miss. I'm an expert nit picker so I made sure durability was not going to be compromised. Most people's climate control systems fail early from installation issues. As I read the installation guide last night by flashlight, my PR-1 showed me the fellow had installed things according to the manufacturer specifications. Dude had cut a corner or two, which kept his cost down. But had I installed it, I would've cut those same corners.

ven

Flashaholic
Great read mr fixer and happy the fixers are all warm and cosy. Cant be fun in those temps,heck in single figures here(Celsius)its cold enough in this house.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Olight I3s to light up the engine compartment of our cars while booking up jumper cables last night. The tail end is wrapped in one of my daughters black hair ties so I could do the old bite grip and had both hands free. Good little light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Another simple genious gripper inovation by the gurdygurd. Very cool.

Yesterday Mrs. Fixer said "so now the heater is fixed, whatchya gonna do this weekend for fun?" I answered "make a patch, sew a patch".

See, a hole developed in the sleeve of a favorite flannel shirt that's old enough to vote. I had considered patching it this winter. When the button came off the same sleeve Thursday I saw that as a fork in the road. Toss it or fix it?

When I was a little kid my mom used to mend clothes. During my divorce years, faced with going out and boozing it up or staying home and doing busy work I took what knowledge my mom had taught me and learned to sew. A couple of gals I dated back then would scoff at my 1960's sewing machine. "You don't know how to use that" they'd say. My favorite way to sew was by hand like my mom did. Often times making patches out of old cloths. In my case from trousers cut into shorts.

I used my E01 to see the needle to thread it a few times this evening. Sewed on that button, made a patch and attached it to my favorite flannel shirt.

IMG-20181208-184521.jpg

I prefer the ugly, ameteurish look when sewing on a patch so I purposely add some character.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES!!! I love that Mr. Fixer! :thumbsup: Also here's the little fella that helped me out the other night.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

^^ Another simple genious gripper inovation by the gurdygurd. Very cool.

Yesterday Mrs. Fixer said "so now the heater is fixed, whatchya gonna do this weekend for fun?" I answered "make a patch, sew a patch".

See, a hole developed in the sleeve of a favorite flannel shirt that's old enough to vote. I had considered patching it this winter. When the button came off the same sleeve Thursday I saw that as a fork in the road. Toss it or fix it?

When I was a little kid my mom used to mend clothes. During my divorce years, faced with going out and boozing it up or staying home and doing busy work I took what knowledge my mom had taught me and learned to sew. A couple of gals I dated back then would scoff at my 1960's sewing machine. "You don't know how to use that" they'd say. My favorite way to sew was by hand like my mom did. Often times making patches out of old cloths. In my case from trousers cut into shorts.

I used my E01 to see the needle to thread it a few times this evening. Sewed on that button, made a patch and attached it to my favorite flannel shirt.

IMG-20181208-184521.jpg

I prefer the ugly, ameteurish look when sewing on a patch so I purposely add some character.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I just go the hair tie route on my E12 as well lol. Another option is to get some of that heat shrink wrap rubber tubing, and shrink it on there. Then go at it with a little knife and cut in some texture. I did that with an old Stylus Pro and it made a world of difference. Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Trying this for now.
Replacement o'rings for Mag Solitaire sized lights.

Just wanted to say, glad to hear everything worked out for you with the heater. I sometimes sew up clothing myself, and while definitely functional, it looks horrible. A Dutch artist acquaintance of mine used to work as a professional seamstress. I could just imagine what she'd think if I showed off my not-so-handy work to her. Not tell her I did it.

She'd probably say it wasn't too bad, for a little girl just learning to sew for the first time. Or, actually pretty good.... for a man. Just as with your perfectionist friend, sometimes good enough, is definitely good enough. ;)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I am in the midst of an o-fish-ell bad luck streak.

Power went out...
On my block...
Which is only like 10 houses out of 200 in the neighborhood so....

No heat!!!

IMG-20181209-190054.jpg

Got Maglites on eco mode lighting the ceiling in a couple of rooms and a big ole tub of water steaming up the place from the gas stove.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG-20181209-202555.jpg

We're good on batteries, got the lizard warm n toasty next to a pot of simmering water, have a bunch of 12 hour self adhesive hot hands strategically located and a movie playing on a laptop.
We're doing ok.

The thing that bothers me most is my little old lady widow neighbors. Some have whole house generators and others went off with friends or family. It's the ones stranded I am bummed about. With dang near a foot of snow on the ground dragging them out and into my little huvel aint practical.

We have about 100 flashlights with batteries so light isn't an issue. All the perishable groceries are outside in coolers, gas in the cars etc. We're good to go.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG-20181209-202555.jpg

We're good on batteries, got the lizard warm n toasty next to a pot of simmering water, have a bunch of 12 hour self adhesive hot hands strategically located and a movie playing on a laptop.
We're doing ok.

The thing that bothers me most is my little old lady widow neighbors. Some have whole house generators and others went off with friends or family. It's the ones stranded I am bummed about. With dang near a foot of snow on the ground dragging them out and into my little huvel aint practical.

We have about 100 flashlights with batteries so light isn't an issue. All the perishable groceries are outside in coolers, gas in the cars etc. We're good to go.

Aren't you in bear country?