What did you use your flashlight for today?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used my Nitecore HC60 headlight, NU10 headlight, and high c.r.i. 80 lumen magnetic 21700 lantern on a hike up Black Mountain in Ramona, CA. 45 minutes into the hike, I had to start using my lights. The HC60 was used exclusively to light my way. I went through 2 3400 unprotected 18650s and one unprotected 3500 18650 during the hike. That headlight does work with cheaper unprotected cells if you put a Harbor Freight rare earth magnet on the positive end of the cell. I used the NU20 strapped to the back of my backpack on the red l.e.d. setting so as to be more visible to vehicles. The trail is a road, so if you make yourself look like a car at night, you don't get run over by one. Used the magnetic Nitecore lantern on breaks with the battery cinched down and held in place by my backpack's top opening drawstring. Had the lantern and the NU10 to see for changing batteries. Had a Nitecore E4K, Tip 2, Acebeam H40 headlight, and a Fenix PD10 Ti as backups but didn't use them. Also took along a Nitecore Electronic whistle/2000 lumen beacon for emergencies. Hike lasted 6 hours 39 minutes including a 30 minute break at the top and was 14.6 miles with over 3000 feet of elevation gain. The Fenix light gave the option of a backup light or a titanium holder for a spare cell for the beacon. The lantern was a kit with a lantern, usb charger, and 21700 battery so I could charge my phone or use the battery in the E4K. Took over a gallon of water to get through the hike (no usable water sources on trail). Weather was perfect and I got a great workout.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find my Maglite ml50lx so I went looking for it around the house. Had to use my convoy s2+ to look for it. Was in my daughters room. She was using it for a night light

Chadder

Enlightened
Upon pulling a jacket from the closet where coats go to wait until I'm bored with the rotation, I recently pulled out one and found an Emissive Energy Inova X3(?) in the pocket. I did not know that one came with a clicky, but this one has a clicky.

It's one of the versions with an optic that allows the old school LED to toss light like a much brighter light so I've been playing "blind the critter" with it the last few nights.
Wow! On Friday night I pulled a coat out of my closet to go to a football game and in the pocket I found my 4seven PK knight. I completely forgot about it being there! I also played with it all night that night! It was like getting a brand new light. LOL

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today I found a Coast HP1 in the left pocket of another jacket stashed in my work truck and a gen 1 Pelican 2350 in the right one. The gen 1 was only 100 lumens but was rated at 19,000 candella if I recall correct. It was a thrower. The gen 2 was like 9,000 candella with 175 lumens.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Today I spent a lot of time in basements of several buildings at work, walking into lots of rooms that I've never explored before. My PD36R made it easier to find light switches and avoid tripping hazards.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
6P with malkoff M61WLL came in handy a few times during the day and mostly so for replacing a faucet. The beam it puts out is really pleasant on the eyes and is the right brightness for most things. Just excellent.

4D881848-E68E-4FB3-A215-FAE19D498FF4.jpeg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my new Nitecore HC60 v2 early this evening and decided to take it on a test run on a hike. From 11:30 p.m. until 3 a.m., I used it hiking up Iron Mountain in Poway, CA all during the near total lunar eclipse. Temperature was in the 40s. Most of the time I used the light on the 40 lumen low which was sufficient for hiking that well travelled trail. I did bump it up to turbo a few times to see it light up an entire hillside. Used the 1 lumen low at the top to see around while taking a break. Used the turbo a couple times back to back on the return trip. Turbo seems to be on about a 3 minute timer and doesn't get the light warm until the second consecutive use when it's in the 40s. I do like how floody and even the beam is. Seems that turbo and high drop down to the medium after a few short minutes, but most of the time you'll only need the lower three settings anyway. The light did well on the hike. Battery voltage tested at 3.9 volts after the hike so I didn't even make a dent in power usage. Watching that eclipse was awesome and I even saw a meteor as well.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
Well, it wasn't /TODAY/ but earlier this week we had some loss of power in my area (North Vancouver) because of the heavy weather. Getting to and from work (on location) and then filming all day in it was it's own special kind of suck and required the use of all kinds of illumination devices, big and small.
About an hour before we wrapped, my girlfriend texted me to say our power was out. When I got home it was (surprise) still out. So I parked the car, pulled my Mag ML300 out of the car door, and clicked it on. Walked through the parking garage, watching people stumble around in the dark or use their phones, then up 6 flights of pitch-black stairs (helping one or two people find their way) before getting into our apartment and finding my girlfriend using my warm white xl50 and a LF 2E/Malkoff NLL to light up the room.
She said she'd never make fun of me for "collecting flashlights" again. I've heard that before, though, and I don't exactly think 5 is a collection...

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Some of my closer family friends know I like and collect lights. Well a year or 2 back, I got a headlamp on a Secret Santa! Yes, it's all plastic; yes, the beam tint is on the level of the OG Fenix E01; yes, it's a muggle-ish no-name brand... But it works well, holds a good charge that lasts hours on the lowest mode (infinite ramping via a dial), and hot dang is the pencil beam on it useful for lighting up my hands when I'm doing maintenance or repairs on something. Super thoughtful present.

Today I used it to troubleshoot an old-ish hoover that suddenly quit working. Took the whole casing apart, removed the motor, and after a few tests, we determined it's the on/off switch on it that is fried. I'll run the hardware stores for a replacement come Monday.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I still haven't changed batteries in this thing in 11 days of constant use, and I use a light a bunch. I wonder if malkoff underrates the runtime.

B2E75C6E-067E-44C2-8172-8F5A033B80EE.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gene Malkoff states honest numbers that err on the side of caution. As PK likes to say "true lumens". Plus his drop in modules have nice long slow decline once voltage of the fuel cell falls below the ability to regulate output.
Like Tech said, those LL numbers run a good long time.

I used a Sofirn C01 Sophia for the first time in a while to make my way through the house at 4am. Such a nice little flooder.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I've got 880 mah orbtronic 16340's in it, which are not high capacity cells so I am surprised they're still going.

They may still have enough juice left for the M61W and M61WL that I should be getting tomorrow. 😁

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Gene Malkoff states honest numbers that err on the side of caution. As PK likes to say "true lumens". Plus his drop in modules have nice long slow decline once voltage of the fuel cell falls below the ability to regulate output.
Like Tech said, those LL numbers run a good long time.
I really appreciate the honest rating of malkoff. I have plenty of other lights that are rated with more lumens than the 80 of the WLL but they are not as bright or as useful. The combo spot/flood reflector from malkoff is so well balanced it's just unreal.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
My first Malkoff was the WLL in a 6P. What a treat that was.
Eventually I opted for a clicky switch.
The NL is ridiculously bright for being sub 200 lumens (when I bought mine, they may be brighter now).

I bought a cool white M61L at first, then got the 6p before the M61L came in the mail and went on a night walk with the original p60 in there. I loved that incan beam so much I ordered the WLL before I even got back home.