What did you use your flashlight for today?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
PW, riddle me this: you have mentioned your workplace many, MANY times in this thread, and from all descriptions together it seems like one murky environment. What do you work with?
A very large performing arts venue with lots of dark, twisty nooks & crannies.

Oh, and the occasional rumor of a ghost. 👻

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wow :bowdown: I'm sort of envious. My workplace is so well-lit that I'd call it OVERlit, so it's hard to find uses for my lights (besides, say, a total blackout). Nooks, nooks everywhere, but nary a shadow to drink up.
What kind of workplace are you in?

I used to work in a very well lit place so, like you, the only time I needed a flashlight was during a blackout (or to look inside equipment racks). My current workplace can vary from very bright to pitch black depending on where I'm working at the moment. My PD36 gets a good workout there!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
....Oh, and the occasional rumor of a ghost. 👻
Reminds me of a certain theater in NYC I almost worked at.
Ghost of a somewhat famous actress and dancer apparently haunted the place. She loved the company of men when she was alive, and apparently even in the Afterlife. Security were the only nighttime individuals in the theater. Foot-patrol would usually see her on the stage, dancing away and being a bit flirty. This unnerved some of the guards.

Like I said, almost worked there. Seems the owner of the theater figured out that if female security personnel patrolled the theater, she might not appear on stage. Yeah, he was right. Since then, only women patrol that theater at night.

And to stay on topic:
Used my Streamlight 1L-1AA to check the backseat of my car to make sure I didn't forget anything.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Reminds me of a certain theater in NYC I almost worked at.
Ghost of a somewhat famous actress and dancer apparently haunted the place. She loved the company of men when she was alive, and apparently even in the Afterlife. Security were the only nighttime individuals in the theater. Foot-patrol would usually see her on the stage, dancing away and being a bit flirty. This unnerved some of the guards.

Like I said, almost worked there. Seems the owner of the theater figured out that if female security personnel patrolled the theater, she might not appear on stage. Yeah, he was right. Since then, only women patrol that theater at night.

And to stay on topic:
Used my Streamlight 1L-1AA to check the backseat of my car to make sure I didn't forget anything.
Well they clearly needed a ghost light on the stage to keep the ghosts away. It can be incandescent, CFL or LED. I don't think the ghosts care about CRI too much. ;)

Again straying back onto the tracks, I used my PD36 to search for a misplaced gadget in the basement. The overhead lighting is ok but doesn't cover everything.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
What kind of workplace are you in?

I used to work in a very well lit place so, like you, the only time I needed a flashlight was during a blackout (or to look inside equipment racks). My current workplace can vary from very bright to pitch black depending on where I'm working at the moment. My PD36 gets a good workout there!
I work at a public library, and there's basically a tubular ceiling lamp fixture for every square meter. Appropriate for the users, bad for flashaholics.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
837110E6-85D2-4E60-9713-10F175CB8DF0.jpeg

Umbrella lights cast a nice glow so a flashlight was not needed while eating a late supper out on the deck.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I work at a public library, and there's basically a tubular ceiling lamp fixture for every square meter. Appropriate for the users, bad for flashaholics.
Ahh, that bastion of civility and collective knowledge, the public library. I've spent countless hours of productive reading there. Good for you!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We bought the umbrella a couple of years ago as a sun shade but use it more at night due to those solar charging LED lights.

Now being a flashaholic and all there were 3 flashlights nearby. A 3 cell Maglite, a Streamlight stylus pro 360 (sorta lanten), and Elzetta G-Line aa.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night the Mrs asked if I'd let the puppy out one more time before bed time. Heck yeah, flashlight time.......
I grabbed the first light I saw on the way to the door.
BA349709-8B60-408D-94C5-103FC7C91A33.jpeg

A near 100% correct TL-122B by What Price Glory.
Those guys make apparel and accessories for military re-enactment folks including a really nice WW2 era T-122A and B. They make the stuff in Egypt of all places and quality is top shelf.

Parts in this one are made out of alloy that would be copper in an original. Their "A" uses a PR bulb where the original used a screw in E10. The original "B" used the PR base.

The "B" made back when were produced on a large scale but the plastic put out a funky smell. So bad in fact that after the war most were tossed in the garbage, so finding one is not easy. Hence buying this nice reproduction.

The beam is surprisingly throwey in this one, but partly because I installed an ultraclear lens and Maglite WhiteStar xenon bulb.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes late at night or early morning I use a flashlight to find something in the freezer, something for lunch or which needs thawing out in the fridge. I don't bother to turn on any main lighting, easier on the eyes. Flashlights themselves are unremarkable, an old Ikea 4xAAA light that resembles a piece of PVC pipe, or small 1xAA light, no high power needed.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes late at night or early morning I use a flashlight to find something in the freezer, something for lunch or which needs thawing out in the fridge. I don't bother to turn on any main lighting, easier on the eyes. Flashlights themselves are unremarkable, an old Ikea 4xAAA light that resembles a piece of PVC pipe, or small 1xAA light, no high power needed.

Dave
Doesn't everything from Ikea resemble a piece of PVC pipe? :crackup:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Had a two-fer yesterday -

I dropped a tiny black screw onto a grey carpet. Found it instantly with the PD36R.

Later on at home I was eating a frozen yogurt bar when I felt a tiny bit of it fall off - bloop - and dripped onto a dimly lit area of the floor. Again I found it immediately and cleaned it up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Orange body Sofirn C01 (sophie) used at 4:30am to see what the house looks like without any lights on. I normally use a 1aa incan with a depleted battery so those 6 or so lumens seemed like turning on the 100 watt light bulb almost.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sometimes use a flashlight to look into other flashlights (hmmmm...).

Some low-cost 3AAA lights with round cell holder having contacts at opposite ends can also run from 18650. Looking down the tube with end-cap removed, if there's a spring at the head end, as well as the tail end, good chance an 18650 fits, provided the tube is long enough. In one case tube was just slightly too short, but an 18500 fits.

Unfortunately this can't usually be done in-store before buying, as most 3AAA lights I would likely buy these days I would like to run on 18650's.

Dave

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight 1L-1AA to check to make sure I forgot nothing on the backseat of my car.
Such handy little things they are. This may not be a 'do-all' light (if such exists), but it'll do-al(most) everything I need it to do, from casual stuff right up to TAC/backup - in a very usable and handy package overall. Only had mine a few months, but it could end up arguably being the best money I ever spent on a flashlight - certainly on that short list.