What did you use your flashlight for today?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cooked a great London broil on Saturday night, used my 6P for tactical illumination.
88FB9EF1-C425-41D6-A435-870C559ACE77.jpeg
ABDA3813-3629-492C-B56B-04AB85ADA7EE.jpeg

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cooked a great London broil on Saturday night, used my 6P for tactical illumination.

What lamp do you have in that 6P? The color in those photos looks pretty good but not quite like an incan I don't think, but real close.

Normally, LED tint doesn't bother me until I see it in photos I'm taking, then I really notice the green/red/yellow various tints from the LED lights.

I did a warm and Hi-CRI LED comparison to an P60 incan a while back with photos, and I was surprised by how noticeable the difference was in side-by-side photos.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
What lamp do you have in that 6P? The color in those photos looks pretty good but not quite like an incan I don't think, but real close.

Normally, LED tint doesn't bother me until I see it in photos I'm taking, then I really notice the green/red/yellow various tints from the LED lights.

I did a warm and Hi-CRI LED comparison to an P60 incan a while back with photos, and I was surprised by how noticeable the difference was in side-by-side photos.

That's an LED module I put together. Body is bored for 18mm, the driver is a Dr. Jones H17Fx behind a XM-L2 at about 5000k-5500k with a smooth reflector, I forget the exact tint but I wanted as neutral as possible. Also, it's an iPhone picture, and the phone tends to balance out the white so sometimes stuff doesn't look quite the same as in real life but it is pretty neutral white.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Tonight feeding my cat in the TOTALLY DARK garage,
I chose to use my Fenix E01 (one-mode,13 Lumen).

Even then used it to walk to my mailbox
(nearly a mile, round-trip, deserted gravel road).
Total Darkness, Cloudy, no moon.

Gotta' say it was certainly PLENTY of lumens.
But the color (of course) was "less-than-ideal".
Beam was un-even, but certainly adequate.

I daresay it would suffice in many situations,
if that was all one had.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Today I needed to reset a device located in an electrical room. I used my PD36R to find the light switch in the room, then used it too trace the cable from the device in question to the wall socket in order to power-cycle it..

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I used the surefire e2 with EO-E1R bulb at work today. First to cut and plug drain lines below concrete in a commercial bakery, which was perfect for seeing into the small dark holes. Later in the day it was used in a 1950's house to cap water lines in preparation for demo, and when it comes to old homes that plaster and old wood just doesn't look right illuminated by anything other than a bulb.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I heard a bang in the back yard, so I wander out there with a trusty Strion DS to take a look around. Turns out the freezing weather froze the branches and one of them snapped off causing the ruckus.

3_gun

Enlightened
Worked on the car(exhaust) in 30F & snow w/Olight S2R Baton ll, Emisar D4K & Sofirn D25S. Didn't have any trouble seeing what I was doing but it was still cold

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Two pans of waffles in the oven; top set looks fine with the oven light on, bottom set needed extra light from kechain light to check - needed more time in the oven. Later that day, the keychain light came out when I had to retrieve a dropped piece of mail that sailed under the couch like James Bond making a getaway. And not to count how many times before bedtime I've pointed it out the back window to make sure we closed the garage door, or checked the coffee maker is filled without turning on all the lights. And a couple of days ago it was quicker to find the light in my pocket than to search an unfamiliar bathroom for the location of the light switch. This Rovyvon Aurora A3Pro is nearly always in my pocket these days.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I used my PD36R for a whole bunch of stuff at work today, walking all over the place tracing wiring in dark creepy rooms, peering into elevator control panels, going into remote cubbyholes where humans rarely go.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I got home today and rushed inside to let the dog out, been really cold lately and I've left him inside during the day while I'm at work. When I came back outside to check the mail my truck had slid out of the driveway and into the street, while in gear with the parking brake on. Thankfully nothing was harmed but the whole neighborhood is solid ice. I scraped a spot to park in the driveway so it wouldn't slide again, and used the warm white aa minimag so I could see.

I also used the same light at work a fair bit today. It's not real bright, but sufficiently bright and has a nice combination of throw, spot and spill. Really performs better than it's lumen rating would suggest.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I got home today and rushed inside to let the dog out, been really cold lately and I've left him inside during the day while I'm at work. When I came back outside to check the mail my truck had slid out of the driveway and into the street, while in gear with the parking brake on. Thankfully nothing was harmed but the whole neighborhood is solid ice. I scraped a spot to park in the driveway so it wouldn't slide again, and used the warm white aa minimag so I could see.

I also used the same light at work a fair bit today. It's not real bright, but sufficiently bright and has a nice combination of throw, spot and spill. Really performs better than it's lumen rating would suggest.
Wow. Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
A few years ago I got this somewhat cheap headlamp on a Secret Santa:
IMG_20230125_125759.jpg

It's not tremendously bright and the beam color is the blue-purple we all love from cheap emitters, but it's lightweight, has great angle adjustment and the beam profile, thanks to the optic in front, is extremely throwy.

IMG_20230125_125836.jpg

(this is some 3ft away from the wall)

Turns out it was perfect for what I needed: cleaning and applying grease to a travel bag's wheel bearings. The light worked amazing at detecting and cleaning grains of sand and grit from previous uses.

Then I promptly used said bag to travel to another state on a business trip. Took my S2+ SST20 along, but it was no fun - only use I had for it was to ceiling-bounce ambient light in the hotel room when the ceiling lamp was too much. Couldn't even take photos.