What do you do with old CR123a batteries?

Wurkkos

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone here know how a glo-toob would do for draining partially depleted cr123's?

thx
My Glo-Toob lithium white works good as a candle, its pretty bright (in a dark room). I think it can get like 24 hours on a full primary on the brightest setting, up to 40 hours on the lowest flashy setting. I don't use it much and I'm thinking about leaving it in my car, I use RCR123s in mine.

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
When my CR123's are too low to power the light they are in I wrap electrical tape around the ends to avoid shorts and keep them in matched sets. I throw them in a plastic bin with a lid and if I ever have an extended power outage I probably have months of runtime out of my Inova X5 Red and X5 White.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Keeping my flats in the shed in a bag. Going to use them in flashlight photographs sometime - maybe when I get a new Surefire - I think they make good background.

Then I will recycle them - plenty of supermarkets have those battery recycle bins now - use em'!

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Having been told many many times that it's dangerous to fully discharge even matched-use lithium batteries in a different light, when they get too low in a working 2 or 3 cell light, I drain my 123s one at a time in a spare E1B, which actually works out pretty well since, being a spare, I use it for non-critical tasks like going to the bathroom at night without turning on brighter lights and potentially waking everyone in the place up- including myself. It's the semi-somulent flashlight system!

CKOD

Enlightened
"Similar threads" thread rez shens! lol

+1 to draining them one at a time, not in pairs. Even cells from the same lot by the same MFR will have different capacities. Draining a cell to nothing = no problem. Reverse charging = big problem, and one cell will be empty before the other, it gets reverse charged.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Glo-Toob... I use up my old CR123s in them... As someone had mentioned earlier, they make nice electronic candles... The red one is perfect for setting that "mood" when you're with that special someone... really though... Just don't use any of the blinky modes lest you send them into epileptic shock.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have a 5D that I converted to LED so it will hold up better if I have to bash someone over the head with it.

Latest posts