What do you do with your ugly beam lights?

B

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Seriously? Brianna or should I say Scrooge McDuck, not everybody has a pile of gold they can take a swan dive into, and there are plenty of threads that discuss bad beams on expensive lights, and I would'nt classify fenix or nitecore as cheap Chinese crap. You missed the point of the thread and eventually you will be disappointed by one of your pricey lights. I had a problem with 3 beams out of the many lights I own or have owned and was curious what others have done.

Last edited:
davyro

davyro

Enlightened
I only purchase quality lights that cost well over $100 each. Since I don't own cheap china crap this has never been a issue. You get what you pay for so don't complain about poor beam profiles or gigantic donut holes.

You obviously don't own any Led Lenser lights,great spot to flood but terrible artifacts in the beam & some over $100 like the 2 i own,i'm keeping mine until some genius on CPF works out how to mod them.

C

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use write-right if I want only a mild diffusing effect and DC-Fix if I want a floody beam or need to fix major spots and rings like on 5mm lights.
stp7.jpg

Here is my method:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-DC-Fix-Diffuser-Install-Instructions-w-pics

Last edited:
Torchaddict

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
I upgrade mine. Started out with emitter swap, then TIR, then emitter AND reflector swap.... Nothing wrong with the beam originally, but I'm finding it tough to find the LED/Optic/Reflector combination I want...

Currently its Nichia 219 + reflector:

DSC00886.jpg

Echo63

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't worry - I just use the damn things.
if the beam profile or colour is that bad then I stick it somewhere where i will be glad to have any light, and use it (wife's car, my car, desk at work, bench at home, emergency kit/FAK etc)
I do this as I update lights too.
my car currently has an Inova T3 and SF 6P with gen1KL3 in it, which actually works out pretty well - the T3 in the centre console as a street number/signpost light, and the floodier kl3 in the boot with the spare tyre

My work desk has a cheap eveready hard case light in it (it's actually a pretty good light, but I normally have my EDC on me at the office)

My overly blue KL1 sits on the wife's bedside table - it irritates me but she doesn't care

L

LGT

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I only purchase quality lights that cost well over $100 each. Since I don't own cheap china crap this has never been a issue. You get what you pay for so don't complain about poor beam profiles or gigantic donut holes.
I own what you might call "cheap China crap." Not all lights from China have a doughnut hole. My ZL SC600 and nitecore Infilux IFE2 have a very smooth transition from spot to flood. Members come here to discuss the attributes or short comings of their lights so others might research this information so they can decide on which light to buy. To think every light that cost more then one hundred dollars, and being made in the US is going to remove beam artifacts is a little naive

fyrstormer

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't buy lights unless they have textured reflectors, which erases most beam artifacts to begin with. Beyond that, I try to buy lights that are serviceable so I have the option of fiddling with them to improve them. If all else fails, I sell them as used to someone who doesn't care about beam artifacts, to recoup some of my investment.

Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I got some GITD diffuser film that smooths out the worst beams. My L1 wasnt too bad, but it was annoying enough to choose to diffuse it. I have placed it on the inside of the lens Now it is a really handy light. I love the diffused wall of light. And the fact the film glows after turning the light off is cool too.

Even my "Linger Special" drop in (two LEDs in one reflector for those unfamiliar) was able to be smoothed out to a perfectly diffused beam with this GITD diffuser film. And that is normally one terrible beam profile.

web.jpg

Cataract

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them on other things than white walls. I'm starting to wonder if I'm unusually lucky, but the few small artefacts I have on my lights are not even worth mentioning and become totally invisible outdoors.

K

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They become loaners or throw-ins for trading.

Monocrom

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Supporter
Toss them into emergency kits or give them away to others for non special occasions, or toss them into a bin to never be used again.

G

Getnlwr

Newly Enlightened
Cheap lights... They usually get given as gifts. Expensive... I have a M4 right now that has a lousy Eye shaped beam. I just cant stand it. It would be okay on my AR15 if I can ensure the orientation of the light is correct and have the eye as a horizontal shape. I already purchased a D36 from Nailbender and a correct housing to move the turbohead over to my favorite weapon.