What do you EDC (Every Day in your Car); what light is in your car?

FNG

Enlightened
SF G2Z w/ Lumens Factory HO-6 incan lamp and a SF battery carrier w/ Panasonic CR123A.

4S QT2A-X and w/ Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A 4D Mag with an old Terra-LUX LED drop-in,a 2D-cell Energizer with a 10MM LED drop-in and a 2AA Energizer Industrial with an old LUX 1 Dorcy LED drop-in.All lights using L91 lithium AAs(AA to D adapters in the D cells).Also have a Mag traffic wand that will fit the Mag or D cell Energizer. Nothing overly impressive but reliable with decent run-time. Will probably add in the Energizer 6V lantern(U.S. version of the LED Dolphin). I have seen some very impressive car kits on here,the subject comes up from time to time, but I don't like leaving expensive lights in my truck.
ZMZ67,
Putting L91s in them is wise. I thought that I checked my batteries often enough, but last week I found that the batteries in my 2D traffic wand were down to 0.23 volts! They were carbon zinc, and in the trunk during a brutally hot summer, but none-the-less, they were dead dead dead.

Like you, I don't keep expensive lights in my car. One reason is they might be too tempting to a thief, and another... I'd be much more likely to give away a less expensive light to a stranger if they needed it. Although I keep that $9.88 3C defiant loaded with an 18650 and spacer, I keep 3 alkaline C cells as spares to load it with, if I give it away.

Out of 18 respondents, only two of us have a red traffic wand diffuser in our cars. They can be a life saver. I wish more of us carried them.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZMZ67,
Putting L91s in them is wise. I thought that I checked my batteries often enough, but last week I found that the batteries in my 2D traffic wand were down to 0.23 volts! They were carbon zinc, and in the trunk during a brutally hot summer, but none-the-less, they were dead dead dead.

Like you, I don't keep expensive lights in my car. One reason is they might be too tempting to a thief, and another... I'd be much more likely to give away a less expensive light to a stranger if they needed it. Although I keep that $9.88 3C defiant loaded with an 18650 and spacer, I keep 3 alkaline C cells as spares to load it with, if I give it away.

Out of 18 respondents, only two of us have a red traffic wand diffuser in our cars. They can be a life saver. I wish more of us carried them.

I have been burnt so many times from leaking alkaline batteries I rarely use them in flashlights anymore except for 9V and 6V lantern.Lights stored in cars were always the worst for leaking batteries due to temperature extremes.The 9V and 6V batteries seem to fair a little better maybe due to the fact that they are sub cells in an enclosed casing. Still if I were keeping a 9V light in the truck I would use lithiums.6V lanterns can usually be stored with the bezel up so it won't be as likely to ruin the light if the battery leaks. The L91s work pretty well with adapters in D and C cells lights.Since the lithiums rarely leak and hold up better in temperature extremes they are ideal for storing in cars.The weight reduction in a light like the 4D is a big improvement over D cells too IMO.
We must be of the same mindset,I am concerned with theft and have used my truck lights as give aways when someone is in need.I am surprised that we were the only ones who mentioned a diffuser,seems like a no-brainer to me since it is such a low cost item to buy.
As impressed as I am with all our cutting edge tech. lights I still really like old style incans with PR base LED drop-ins.Once you eliminate leaking batteries there isn't much to go wrong with a simple slide switch incan light.The LED drop-in makes the light capable of decent run times and even with the drop-in they are still cheap.If the drop-in should fail you can simply pop another one in the light.Granted they are not overly bright but I seem to remember getting by with the output of the same lights when they were sporting dim inefficient incan bulbs before LEDs were available.
This thread is causing me to take stock of my car lights again.I noticed the AA light was missing from the truck and realized I forgot to replace it after giving it away a while back.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have a couple of lights. First I have my IOS keychain light which is also my edc. My primary flashlight in my car is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61LL...75 lumens and 10 hours of regulated run time on CR123 primaries. I keep four extra batteries in the glove box. This way I don't have to worry about chargers or charging. I also have one of those work- flood lights that has a magnetic base and a bungee cord so I can work hands free. Runs on AA betteries.

I also three road flares

That's it...

LenZ32

Newly Enlightened
I understand that it is hard to draw a fine line between personal/individual EDC and what's in your car every day. (As even myself unload my EDC light in the car and pick it up when get out of the car and etc.)

But, what light do you ALWAYS keep in your car? (for work, hobby, camping, and etc. purposes)

Thank you

Nitenumen NE01. Good selection of brightness levels, in host charging via standard micro USB and inexpensive enough that if it is stolen it is easily replaced. Prior to that I had a Surefire with lithium's for their run/storage characteristics. I pulled the Surefire and replaced with a Solarforce clone to supplement the NE01 as I don't consider it as trustworthy as the Surefire.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a couple of lights. First I have my IOS keychain light which is also my edc. My primary flashlight in my car is a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61LL...75 lumens and 10 hours of regulated run time on CR123 primaries. I keep four extra batteries in the glove box. This way I don't have to worry about chargers or charging. I also have one of those work- flood lights that has a magnetic base and a bungee cord so I can work hands free. Runs on AA betteries.

I also three road flares

That's it...

+1 on the flares. And those reflective triangles... and a blanket, and a hand crank radio...

I keep what lights I have in the vehicle empty. The batteries are stored nearby. Never had one leak that way.

Dknight16

Newly Enlightened
Back in the day it was a 2D and then a 3D Maglight. But both welded solid due to alkaline battery leakage over time in the harsh summer & winter temperature cycles. So only lithium A123 lights now. Current one is an Olight S2 Baton.

Extra credit: Car knife is a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189.

harro

Enlightened
A cheap plastic thing that is about the size of a 2 x D torch. The body is blown from translucent ( almost clear ) plastic. The one piece module takes 3 x AA cells and shows white light from one end, and red light from the opposite. The red lights the body and it acts like a traffic wand. You can use either end or both at the same time. It floats and it has stood up to a few falls off car roofs. Oh, and three led road flares.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the flares. And those reflective triangles... and a blanket, and a hand crank radio...

I keep what lights I have in the vehicle empty. The batteries are stored nearby. Never had one leak that way.

I tried storing batteries outside of my lights before going to lithiums but the alkalines never seemed to do very well with the temp. extremes either way.Lithiums have worked much better for me(no leaks so far) and I have been able to leave them in the lights so they are ready when I need them.I do carry a few extra batteries of different varieties
that I store alone but they are all lithium chemistry.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tried storing batteries outside of my lights before going to lithiums but the alkalines never seemed to do very well with the temp. extremes either way.Lithiums have worked much better for me(no leaks so far) and I have been able to leave them in the lights so they are ready when I need them.I do carry a few extra batteries of different varieties
that I store alone but they are all lithium chemistry.

I keep lithiums around as well. Nothing like an alky in cold weather... warming them in your pocket will get them going but if the light is being used in a cold environment that is a temporary fix.

Maybe I've just been lucky the last 20 years, but I'm rarely plagued by a leaking alkaline... cept for those 'fin-shoo-tsi' kind that come in remotes and such.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cheap plastic thing that is about the size of a 2 x D torch. The body is blown from translucent ( almost clear ) plastic. The one piece module takes 3 x AA cells and shows white light from one end, and red light from the opposite. The red lights the body and it acts like a traffic wand. You can use either end or both at the same time. It floats and it has stood up to a few falls off car roofs. Oh, and three led road flares.

Sounds like the Life Gear Glow flashlights.I gave the ones I had to the kids a few years ago, they had some nice features.I was always skeptical that they would hold up under abuse.Curious if it is the same light? Having a light that floats seems like a good idea especially for people in flood prone areas.The plastic 2D I have in the truck will float although flooding is rare in my location.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep lithiums around as well. Nothing like an alky in cold weather... warming them in your pocket will get them going but if the light is being used in a cold environment that is a temporary fix.

Maybe I've just been lucky the last 20 years, but I'm rarely plagued by a leaking alkaline... cept for those 'fin-shoo-tsi' kind that come in remotes and such.

I don't have problems with alkalines in remotes or clocks but flashlights and radios have been a different matter. I generally discard those cheap no-name batteries anyway but even the brand names have been leakers especially in flashlights.Like you I am always on the lookout for older lights.I don't do ebay but I often run into them at thrift stores and the like.Frequently they leave batteries in the lights and I always cringe until I get the light open to see if they have leaked.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I keep a couple of Surefires in each car, a 6P/M361 and a Minimus Vision. The 6P has cells in it but the cell for the Vision and 3 spares are in a carrier. The Vision has enough parasitic drain that it kills a cell in a year or two. The headlamp is a wonderful thing when you have to do something like put on snow chains. I don't like the taste of anodized aluminum.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a couple of Surefires in each car, a 6P/M361 and a Minimus Vision. The 6P has cells in it but the cell for the Vision and 3 spares are in a carrier. The Vision has enough parasitic drain that it kills a cell in a year or two. The headlamp is a wonderful thing when you have to do something like put on snow chains. I don't like the taste of anodized aluminum.

A headlamp is another solid idea but I have yet to add one. Was considering a 6V lantern that could be sat on the ground but a headlamp may be more sensible.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a Fenix E20 in each car with lithium primaries and a spare set of two more lithium primaries. I always have a single 18650 Fenix light (TK09, PD32UE, or PD35vn triple XPL) on me and my wife always has at least a Nitecore Tube if not a Fenix LD01 with her so the E20s don't get used often. It's great to have them just in case though. On most big trips I also have my backpack which as a powerful light (Fenix TK75vnkt or Nitecore TM06vn) and an Armytek Wizard headlamp as well as spare batteries so then we're ready for many more situations.

d88

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Klarus RS20 in my car with 2 Li ion backup batteries. I'm finding it ideal at the moment with it's main light & additional diffused side light with RGB (+White)LED's and the magnetic recharging system incase I need to recharge on the fly.

(Not my picture)

RS20_0__88570.1409418473.1280.1280.jpg

As it's coming up to winter I'll also add another light and whatever EDC I'm carrying with spare batteries, as I'll be travelling in remote areas and the darkness can last up to 18 hours here.

Last edited:

arKmm

Enlightened
In the car: Maglite 4D with XPG-2 drop-in.
On the bike: Fenix PD35

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I have a few.....
A good Maglite ML300L mounted on my drivers seat. A Niwalker C26 in my console. A 2 AA in my tool pouch in the door.
In back I have my Nitecore headlamp and my Niwalker MM18II.
So that is 5 plus another headlamp (AAA) in my CERT bag....

Lateck,

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
Always a 4Sevens Preon Revo on the keychain, and a Novatac ECD 120P in the pocket. <I really need to update my pocketlight>. In the car lives a C-cell LED maglite.