What do you mostly use your flashlight for?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is the not so obvious uses.

I really don't see how anyone could vacuum or dust inside house or inside your car, even in daylight without a headlamp. Like brushing your teethe without flossing: it is gross if you know better.

Just getting ready for work goes faster in morning with headlamp as everything is more easily retrieved.

You can do a better job at hand washing dishes. Or even diapering.

In short, most things go faster and of higher quality indoors (even if you have bright lights that cannot take advantage of a headlamp's advantage) and working on cloudy days inside a porch area, with a good quality good cri headlamp or even a lux1, for most things.

I have seen 65 year old guys do better detail work and have better eyesight without wearing reading glasses than 20/20 certified 19 year olds who wouldn't wear a headlamp, only fixed lighting. If it weren't a simple $20-$100 headlamp, and $4000 glasses that guaranteed a worker super eyesight, even in dark, they couldn't keep those glasses on the shelves. But mention a headlamp, and you get, "I'm not a coal miner."

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What don't I use it for?

At work: I work in commercial construction as a project manager and I use it all the time when I am on a job site and have to look above the ceiling tiles or in a section of the building that the sparky hasn't wired up for temp lights. I also do a lot of walkthroughs for potential jobs I need to put estimates on and often times these buildings are dilapidated spaces with no power or lighting, so having the sun in my pocket has an amazing value to me.

On a large sprawling job, like a school, fixed lighting for seeing real color/textural detail, or just in dark corners/rooms, doesn't work. But then it pisses me off that they make you wear hard hats which are for looks, not safety. Since if you are on such a project, a bike helmet would be far more useful. Also, my good headlamps don't easily attach easily to hardhats. So, everyone must stumble around near blind without option to bend around for real balance, else the hard hat tumbles to ground. No protection if you fall off the step ladder.

The few that wear headlamps are using some cheap 3 AAA 12 lumen lights,that don't go much good, but are about the only lights that can attach to the helmet easily.

Last edited:

LeeDeaton

Newly Enlightened
The activity that lets me use my flashlight most would be my late night geocaching endeavors. It tends to attract a lot of law enforcement attention though, I can't imagine why. Rummaging around buildings and parks at 2 AM is suspicious?
I also do a lot of computer repair work, and a nice bright light is essential when you're contorted oddly under some person's gross desk area. Lots of dust and spiders.
The area I live in is rather stormy, and at least once a year we have a good 3-5 day power outage. Except this year, which is the first year I actually have more than just a mini-mag. Arg.
From time to time I babysit my 3 year old niece, and being as how she is 3, she loses toys constantly in the strangest places (Why was there a puzzle piece in the fridge?).
I also use my lights to look like a crazy person around my friends and family.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i use my lights mostly for spotting the odd mosquito that comes univited into my home. :candle:

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
Most of the time I'm using my light so I don't step on the dozens of big crickets that are attracted to my house :mad:.

Mark620

Enlightened
I use my EDC lights all the time to help me see something that I want to see...besides most things are covered except maybe, caving with them...

umc

Enlightened
I "mostly" use my flashlights for getting around the house at night so I don't have to turn on the lights. Makes it easy to go to the bathroom, check on the baby, check to make sure the doors are locked, etc. I use my Kroma on low red but lately have been using the Quark 123 on moonlight mode. These don't ruin my night vision nor does it wake anyone up so it's a great use of flashlights.

I've been carrying a light on me for a very long time now and use them for anything and everything. I do IT work so I use them to check ports on the back of a computer under a desk, to check a jack ID behind a desk, to running wire up above ceiling tiles etc. When grilling out at night I use a flashlight to check that what I'm cooking is done.

I use them for camping and getting around the neighborhood at night as well as checking for anything odd that may go on at night in the neighborhood.

I'm also a firefighter so I have a Surefire G2L on my helmet with a Malkoff M60L in there and a Surefire 6PL with a Malkoff m60 in it on my bunker coat. I use the helmet light almost all of the time on night calls.

As far as my EDC light is concerned I use it quite a bit on medical calls for better lighting a vein for starting an IV, or just checking things in a home. I used my Fenix P2D (EDC at the time) on a medical call where their power was out, put the P2D on turbo and tailstanded it on a counter and lit up the whole living room which allowed us to work. Now that I'm carrying a RA Clicky with the looooooooooow option I will be able to check pupils with it.

I try and use my lights as much as possible and the above are just a few examples of how I use them.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daily use: walking the dog morning & night. Currently using a modded 2D [email protected] [2x18650 - R2 w/ aspheric]. Just finished a 2C w/ WW Q5 2x 18650.

Work: I do industrial inspections so I use a variety of lights to look for chemical leaks, spills, illegal drain connections, etc. Currently use a modded [email protected] 3AA w/ a Q5. Trying to find a way to order some Romisen N3s from SB.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine to look around in the backyard for critters, before letting the dog out. We have coyotes around here. I use my light to walk to the mail box, which is down the street. I use my light all the time.

Johan13

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for general stuff such as camping and walks in the dark. However, I also plan on using mine as a makeshift bikelight as well. Thirdly, I think they make a good self defense tool if ever needed

carlo1958

Newly Enlightened
I am a Senior Project Manager in the Curtain Wall industry and I have several flashlights that I use for the following:

1. Walking into Construction Buildings Sites where most areas are dark and a flashlight is a safety tool to avoid falling into unprotected holes (believe me sometimes there can be)
2. Performance Test (structural) where I mostly use the flashlight to check for water leakages or failures in the structure in the darkness of the testing room.
3. Inspections for finished works
4. power failure in the site office
5. trying to find small items fallen on a floor (chance of success almost 100%)
6. power failure at home (not often luckily)
7. finding things in my bag (full of junk) as the flashlight is always in my pocket
8. walking late night in the streets. (very safe here but still some roads are really dark)
9. reading map in my car
10. finding stuff in the car trunk
11. Many other applications

I have 10 flashlights and 3 are on delivery shipment. Different application for each as sometimes I need a strong spot and sometimes I need a wide flooding light.

Happy lighting to everyone

KillyMcGee

Newly Enlightened
I use my 4Sevens AA every day for things like looking for stuff in the morning around the house instead of turning on lights to pulling cable in a server rack.

My SF 6p's are used nightly when mosquito hunting (easier to find one with a flashlight than with overhead light on)

richpalm

Banned
Dog walking-love night walks. Getting around house. Finding stuff-you'd be surprised how much they get used during the day. Also for peeing the dogs at night before bed. White walling!

Rich

4runnin

Newly Enlightened
whats up guys?

I'm new here, I was referred by someone from another forum though. I own a few lights, cheap(er) ones but I'm definitely into the hobby! I mostly use mine at work as a building engineer. At home I use them to walk the dog or just lighten up the yard while he goes outside.
My lights are on the cheaper side of the scale but still very bright compared to what other guys at work have. I always get the "where the hell did you get that thing?" questions when I'm using it lol :D A lot of people have no idea whats out there. I joined this place to learn more and hopefully build a custom soon

glockriver

Newly Enlightened
My pocket light is used for reading menus and such in restaurants with not enough light. My SF G2 and SL Scorpion for outside nighttime anything from walking to the car to scanning the lake for beaver to looking for dropped stuff.

Vootman

Newly Enlightened
Camping, hiking, biking, looking for stuff in my underlit storage room, working on cars/motorcycles. And, on a recent trip to Baja, spotlighting the bats that were hanging under our eaves. That was cool!

Latest posts