What do you mostly use your flashlight for?

pumps

Newly Enlightened
Until covid I was doing appliance repair as a part time gig. Plenty of uses there. But I've also been a firefighter for 31 years. On all kinds of calls, wrecks at night, ems calls , lighting up a patient so we can see a vein to get an IV started. Walking the dogs.

Attachments

• 20191119_135631.jpg
    20191119_135631.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 30

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
It seems that wherever I use a light most often, I have one within arms reach. I have a few in a drawer in my desk, and grab any one of them to look into the unlit closet next to it. It gets used a couple times a week.

I have a maglite led solitaire resting on top of the heating system thermostat, that I use to check what temp it is set at before I go to bed.

I have a light in the shed to look into the dark corners of the shed, maybe once every other week.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
Lot of everyday tasks. Something falls in a dark corner, going to and from the car at night. IF you have pets, walking pets is a good one.

So many use cases.

Dave_H

Enlightened
My "collection" such that it is consists of an assortment of cheap(er)/lower output lights in various places. Rarely is illumination over large area/distance needed around the house. Need is lessened by lots of fixed nightlights, ac and battery, scattered around, plus solar garden lighting outside and some inside on window sills.

As with others I sometimes avoid turning on ac lights at night when moving around, checking things etc. Basement has motion-detector lights but need a flashlight initially to get down there.

My electronic water meter has a small solar panel to activate display, when I read it monthly. Bright flashlight does the trick.

In addition, small local adjustable flashlight source is good for working on equipment, especially reading component part numbers which usually also need some magnification. Some product labels are small and difficult to read but usually OK with additional light.

One case where a high power flashlight was useful: power-line fuse blew at 2am. I used it to check pole transformer in neighbour's back yard before calling the utility; fortunately no sign it was the problem (smoke, sparks, burn marks etc.), no need to call fire dept.

Dave

3_gun

Enlightened
I use my light(s) often because I'm lazy. Got more than a few of the CPF bulbs around & I hate that they've got to "warm up" to get full brightness so I'll often just use my light to grab something out of a drawer/off a shelf. Older fridge w/a burned out bulb, grab a light. But those are all short run time uses, I really build up the hours doing estate/garage/junk sales. Just yesterday was in an older home/basement/garage for 2hrs, 90min of which I was using my light between 30-300L. I try to hit 3 or more a week depending on weather & drive time. Worst or best case; spent 5hrs at a sale with 3 "barns" & the house, none with power. Had to swap batteries to finish that day.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
To put me in a good mood with the most amount of flood lumens per unit size of the flashlight. It only takes a few seconds for that to happen, so I don’t care about runtime or throw. But I have a few flashlights that do those two things, just in case I ever need them for that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
To me the flashlight is a tool. Now most people I know do not have pliers, vice grips, screw drivers and such just laying around the house. And I would suppose the same is true with flashlights. The Mrs and I are contantly tinkering with something or other so it's not unusual to see a pair of wire cutters, scissors or a precision screwdriver set on my coffee table where most would have a book or a magazine. Same with a flashlight.

So living in 2021 with the advent of $5 flashlights we have several users around the house that if they work, cool. If not eh, no biggy. Then there are the good ones. The ones pretty much work without fail year after year.

As I've gotten older I often use them to illuminate objects such as instructions, packaging and items with small print instead of turning on an overhead light after dark. I used to use a BiC lighter. That should say how little extra light I'm used to so I don't need or use really bright flashlights very often. When I do it's usually in the day time to peer into the engine bay of an automobile, see into a dark manhole/crevice of some sort or that sort of thing.