What do you mostly use your flashlight for?

DoctaDink

Enlightened
Mostly to assist my aging vision. Eg: looking for things in the car, under the desk, in dark cabinets etc (where I use to be able to see, but where now a bit more light is needed). Yesterday's use included looking under a desk for wire connections on the back of my computer/speakers. Slipping into the bedroom after lights out (so as not to disturb my wife), looking under the hood in the carport.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Mostly general uses such as walking outside at night (im in the country, no street lights), occasional camping, but mostly just showing off. Makes me smile like a kid with a new toy to hear friends say "what the hell do you need with a flashlight that bright?" :cool:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Usually scanning my car and surrounding area when going out to in the AM/PM for work/home, when it is dark.

Frightening the $*&@ out of would be landscaping light thieves: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/262484 :twothumbs

And generally annoying my coworkers with the strobe. :devil:

So you do that to huh?:twak:

I have a friend who is really into Fenix's, ive always prefered incans, he pisses everyone off with that friggin strobe, and thinks its the funniest thing ever, lol.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mostly ONE light at work (looking inside machines and darks areas, sometimes just poking at the odd light meter that doesn't seem to respond properly)

I use the rest for camping a few weeks per year, hiking (just to use my lights and do some beamshot comparisons) and getting up at night 'cause I hate to be blinded when I wake up.

Once in a while I'll need one to look in the car trunk (no light in there) or find something that rolled under the fridge or desk.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My number one "usage" of flashlights turns out is to make videos about flashlights. Haven't had a power failure in years. :crackup:

Brian321

Enlightened
So you do that to huh?:twak:

I have a friend who is really into Fenix's, ive always prefered incans, he pisses everyone off with that friggin strobe, and thinks its the funniest thing ever, lol.
I love using the strobe to annoy the hell out of my younger brother while he is playing x box. Speaking of which im gonna go do that right now:D

corvettesR1

Enlightened
I have found them very helpful at work for checking unlit truck dash switches and things during night operation.

Ive left two lights out in my garages.They have been a big help out there.

I also prefer to use my lights late at night for going to other rooms here.

Its very good to know I now have plenty of light if we catch a power outage.
Ill probably rig something up for night use on my new mountain bike .

I should probably keep one around my motorcycle for emergency use.
Flashlights just make life better.:twothumbs

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Most of my lights are or have been duty lights. They see everything from night patrols to traffic control to... ah hem " tire thumping":whistle:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first started EDCing my 2 AA Mini-Maglite over 10 years ago when I was working in a manufacturing area and I used to use it to set up the CNC cutting machines. That was when I really discovered the usefulness of having a light always by my side.

Now I use my lights for just about anything and everything whenever the sun goes down or I'm in a dark room.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my flashlight usage falls into three categories. I have a very bright, tight, custom made cyan thrower that goes outside with me for one brief task once every night -- but it only gets turned on for a few seconds every other month. Inside, when my eyes are not dark adapted I use lights with an output between an old Infinity and an old ARC AAA for navigation and task lighting. Most of my portable light use is when I'm dark adapted or very nearly so and for that I prefer a covert nose, NV green Photon Freedom running on a cr2032 for half the stock voltage and brightness. Even on high it's really too dim to use unless I'm dark adapted or close.

Last edited:

tomwoh

Newly Enlightened
Mostly bringing in the horses at night, 2nd would be for night mountain bike rides with the wife. TK40 while big really lights up the trail. Depending on the coyote I can scare it off with the light.

The Shang

Newly Enlightened
I use my lights to reverse what is known as "darkness". I carry a light on me at all times, or within arms reach at all times. And I mean ALL times. :D

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly have them for special reasons that don't happen:)

I have a single Cr123 light in my car for just in case. I have a single AAA that I carry in my pocket fairly often for just in case.

I also have a 18650 XP-G for just in case I need bright continuous light.

Other than taking out the trash at night or walking around the neighborhood at night I don't use a light on a regular basis.

But I have one for ... just in case :)

The only legitimate (frequent) use for a light is as a dive light.

After coming to this board I bought a laser and I can't even claim the use for that is ... just in case.

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
"I have a very bright, tight, custom made cyan thrower that goes outside with me for one brief task once every night -- but it only gets turned on for a few seconds every other month. "

Ok, I'm curious......