what do you use your headlamps for? Looks nerdy?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Being an extreme addict, I recently decided to try headlamps so I am expecting some in, including a Nuwai and two PTs.

My question is this: what do you use your headlamps for? Should I be walking the dog with one? Other than a camping application, or spelunking, when do you use yours? And when do you use a regular light instead?

E

Emilion

While cycling, camping, hiking....I'll grap my Yukon HL.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: what do you use your headlamps for? Looks nerd

Anytime you need your hands free, really. And who cares how they look, those who are trendy can't see as well in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read in bed and do certain repair jobs with my PT Aurora. I too thought they were too dorky looking, but once you use one you realize that you can't live without 'em. By the way, got approval from the wife before using it to read. Wanted to make sure she didn't think it was totally nerdy.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use mine for fishing at night, for tying new lures on , to see what beverage I'm pulling out of the cooler and to prevent stepping in the wrong place

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been ridiculed by my friends for using a headlamp in certain situations, but they are undisputably the best option when camping.

Mattman

Enlightened

If you're afraid to look like a retard, headlamps are not for you. I've found that the minute you stop doing whatever specific task you needed your headlamp for, you need to take it off or people will laugh at you. Inside the house, I use headlamps constantly and for most tasks. Outside of the house, I admit that I think twice before I strap one on. I doubt that I'd take a walk with one on, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a bike if I could find a way to mount it on my helmet. I think we all need to use them whenever possible so that we can get the rest of the world conditioned to seeing them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

...Absolutely GREAT for power outages, crawling under the house, , camping, fishing, any task that requires two hands (home & work)!

StuU

Enlightened

When I showed my newly modded headlamp to my father-in-law, he asked me if I was going to be working as a coal miner.....

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

noone has ever given me a hard time outside of a little teasing for wearing my headlamps.

i've even worn them to the grocery store and the bank without more than a couple stares and questions.

honestly, nothing beats a headlamp for usefulness. but it should still be supplemented with a flashlight 'cause sometimes you need to see into nooks/crannies/other awkward spots where you can't angle the light while it's on your head.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

My wife uses hers for reading in bed! And they're really great for working around the house (under the sink, behind the desk, inside the computer). I have to give props to Wingerr for picking up a BD moonlight fer less than $20 for me recently!

daloosh

greenLED

Flashaholic

Whoever thought headlights are for dorks will have to "step outside" and have a chat with greenLED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I'm just kidding!!

Seriously, they're great for any situation when you need to use both hands, period.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a headlamp that I have used as a shoulder light by putting it around my upper arm and I even put it on my wrist under my coat and had instant light shooting out my sleeve.
Headlamps are only cool to people when you have both hands full and look like you are doing things that take 4 hands to do. I think every flashaholic needs a good headlamp so they can work on their lights hands free in that dark.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use mine mostly for reading in bed, camping and night hiking. If you're gonna be doing stuff round the house or with friends around, and you don't want to be ridiculed, etc, then just hang it round your neck once you're done.

What Lynx_Arc said... at the end of the day you're the one with both hands free to whack your buddy over the head while he's poking fun at ya when you're out in the dark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This friend of mine never looked twice nor would he picture himself using a headlamp. Always a firm believer in handheld lights. After we did a short caving trip recently, he came and asked me to help him choose a headlamp for caving, hiking, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess it was all the crawling and scrambling that changed his mind... I did, and got him an EOS, and he was mighty impressed with it. I bet he's looking at himself in the mirror right now with the headlamp strapped on!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said: I think every flashaholic needs a good headlamp so they can work on their lights hands free in that dark.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
What do you mean "a good headlamp"?

A "REAL Flashaholic" needs "several"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Camping for sure, fixing things around the house, taking the trash out at night, power outages. Basically any time you need light and your hands at the same time. You won't have any trouble finding uses for them after you have had them a few days.

The whole nerdy thing fades quickly when you see how handy they are. Every person who has ever joked about my headlamp has eventually asked to borrow one and then wanted one of their own. They may laugh for a minute, but then they have to eat crow later when they are wearing one. Besides, they can't really laugh that loud with a minimag in their teeth and drool running down their chin. Who's the real nerd in that picture?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said: I think every flashaholic needs a good headlamp so they can work on their lights hands free in that dark.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------

A "REAL Flashaholic" needs "several"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I should have said you are not a COMPLETE flashaholic without at least ONE good headlamp, but a true flashaholic needs two headlamps in case he needs both hands to repair his other headlamp in the dark.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:

[/ QUOTE ]

My current definition of a good headlamp is in tune with hybrids. I like the throw and brightness of the Incan lamp (for spotting animals and poisonous snakes - my main concern-), 5mm LED's for close-up work. Waterproofness is a must. I am seeing newer hybrids with regulation circuits, etc. but haven't used any of those yet.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

I use my head lamp when jogging and fishing at night. It´s also great when chopping firewood at night so you can have one hand sturdy gripping the wood and the other hand gripping the axe. It´s one of the best inventions ever made i think.

When keeping my hands free is not so important and for far distance throws i use a regular hand flashlight(an Inova XO).
When combining a hand flashlight with a head lamp one got the best of two worlds.