What do you use your thrower for?

ven

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Last year..........yes last year :laughing: i scanned the fields around the camp site with my sr52vn. Good fum at spotting things at distances and of course having a huge light saber:D unfortunately mr yoyo would win that game hands down !;)

A

Amelia

Enlightened
My Thrunite TN32 "super thrower" almost never gets used, it's mainly a "take it in the car with me when exploring new territory" light. My baby thrower, EagleTac S200C2, on the otherhand, gets used all the time as my hiking "backup light" to my H600Fw headlamp. I thought I'd rarely use it when I bought it, but it's rapidly become one of my most used lights when I'm hiking into new unfamiliar areas. It kept me from blundering into a snake about a week ago, lit his brown body up from about 80 yards away and gave me time to let him move on.

56FordGuy

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for checking on the horses and livestock at night. If I can scan an area from one fenceline, it saves a whole lot of work.

A

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
My Thrunite TN32 "super thrower" almost never gets used, it's mainly a "take it in the car with me when exploring new territory" light. My baby thrower, EagleTac S200C2, on the otherhand, gets used all the time as my hiking "backup light" to my H600Fw headlamp. I thought I'd rarely use it when I bought it, but it's rapidly become one of my most used lights when I'm hiking into new unfamiliar areas. It kept me from blundering into a snake about a week ago, lit his brown body up from about 80 yards away and gave me time to let him move on.

Your eyes are better than mine, and I'm only 31. I can't see a snake from 80 yards away, unless it's neon green and flashing like a stop light.

A

Amelia

Enlightened
Your eyes are better than mine, and I'm only 31. I can't see a snake from 80 yards away, unless it's neon green and flashing like a stop light.

He was on a gray-white section of the trail and moving... and lit up by my bright beautiful S200C2... but yeah, if he had been sitting still, I probably wouldn't have seen him until I was much closer. Anyway, I didn't get close enough to see if it was a rattlesnake or not, me and snakes don't like to share the same trail (or even the same county, for that matter! ;) )

B

Borad

Enlightened
I know I've had to look in a tight space numerous times, like a screw hole or something, and wished I had a narrower beam. I can't remember when though. I recently had to look into a hole to see what kind of adjustment screw was in it but a magnifying glass was good enough. I have a good view and it would be fun to light up a ferris wheel 3/4 miles away, or a street corner about the same distance, and use my binoculars to see people react, but I'm afraid I'd get in trouble.

C

cmd

Newly Enlightened
I've been a fan of mostly-flood beams for a long time. My EDC is a 4sevens mini and for walking the dog and other regular tasks it is an H600w (hand held most of the time) ... but I recently got an LD50vn with the custom dedome and it is such a great balance of spill and good throw. I'm still not a fan of pencil-thin beams but good throw with spill works very very well for so many situations, especially in such a small format and good UI.

M

MX421

Enlightened
I only recently bought a few good throwers and have used them for determining what (usually animal) the dog is barking at way in the back of the yard as well as scanning the yard/lot for other things. I plan on using mine for hunting (scanning and also rifle mounted), scanning for the boat channel (both the markers and the channel itself) in my stump filled lake when i finally get to hunt/fish. I think a throw has a lot of use for outdoor activities, especially when you want to spot things way before they spot you (in the dark especially).

Although i, like others above, have had way more day to day use out of my flood lights (or even the balanced flood/throw lights). I don't daily carry a thrower, although i am trying to keep one in the vehicle.

As far as the use of high powered flood lights for long distance searching. Although probably not as big as TEEJ's lights, I have a pretty big throw/flood for that sort of thing, but it is cumbersome to carry around and i prefer the more compact throwers for actual use. For the heavy one, its been mainly to show off so far, although it did light up a back yard for the kid to mow when he tried to procrastinate and pull the "its too dark to mow" thing for the back yard. I had the TK75 mounted to a tripod for him to mow and then i spot checked his work with the Armytek Barracuda :). Hopefully he learned from that to not try and get away with such things...