What event made you a flashaholic?

degarb

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TEEJ

It was very dark in the womb.

I think the seeds were sown for me then too.

Yes, this was about the birthing stage where I started giving my kids on small single cr123 Cree lights. It was tough getting finding a light that had a runtime of a whole 9 months. My wife was pissed! But it made the ultrasounds unnecessary.

Last edited:
ericjohn

ericjohn

Enlightened
Christmas 1988...I was 1 going on 2 when my aunt and uncle gave me a Playskool 2 C lantern.

M

matt4350

Enlightened
About a year ago, my partner and I were searching for an offender who'd done a runner along a dim street one night. My issue MagR died (communal property, years of use on many a night shift). My (noob) partner was way better prepared than I, he loaned me a Mag 2D from his bag. Unimpressive light compared to the MagR, but better than nothing. As a result of this, and a shortage of torches at the station anyways, I decided I'd get the coolest torch I could find. Ended up buying a Lenser X14 (I know, overpriced and there's better out there, but outstanding compared to what I was used to). Then I stumbled on this site, and bought myself one of Jayrob's Mag mods(THIS is the coolest torch I could find :) I am now equipped with the right tool for the job! I'm not a flashaholic, but I sure see the necessity to be prepared.

G

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Over the years I have had pretty much every Maglite that was on the market. I worked for a company that was a distributor of Mags. so when a new one hit the ground I wanted it, got it for cost. Though it was cool to have these lights I got bored of the same yellowish tint. One day I was at a Gun show and saw an LED light and I was like ........ whhhat?? That is cool and I like the color of the beam ( blueish white ). I was hooked.

sidecross

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
A flash light was always a tool I used when I was a Union Journeymen Truck and Automobile mechanic.

I am now retired but still use flashlights as an everyday tool.

The advancement over the last few years in technology has sharpened my interest.

B

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always got initially excited to play with my Mini-Maglite when the power went out as a kid, but then I was quickly disappointed with its output. I put an angry blue replacement LED in and still wasn't happy. After a few other cheap but nicer-output lights I found this site and have been much happier with my lights. Of course the quest for better lights never ends though!

E

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
No specific "event", but I've always had an affinity for gadgets and something that could produce light was fascinating to me.

When I was a kid and lived in my native country, I would often visit school supply stores and pick up some batteries, copper wires and small incandescent bulbs that were meant to be used for school projects, and create roughly-made flashlights, using construction paper, toilet paper tube, and/or tape for the "body". The switching mechanism was created by taping the copper wire so that it would be touching the battery's anode only when depressed with finger. The creation wasn't fancy or bright, but it worked.

Good times.

When I got older, my first actual flashlight was a Solitaire. The bulb on it broke after a short period of time, and I threw it out because I didn't know that there was a spare bulb inside the tailcap.

Then I moved onto those multi-5mm LED lights. When I first got 'em, they were bright as heck. Unfortunately, they were sucking up batteries and constantly dimming, even with fresh cells, not to mention falling apart within a few days.

So, with a bit of searching on the Internet, I came upon Fenix P1D, and purchased one after getting past the sticker shock. That was my first "quality" flashlight. And, surprise, the thing is still alive and kicking!

Lux Candle

Lux Candle

Newly Enlightened
Good day. I'm new to CPF. I have always liked flashlights and owned tons over the years. Mag lights were about the best I had owned till last month. I met a guy at a trade selling Fenix lights. I loved those lights. So much better quality than the lights I have owned before. I bought a RC15 at the show. Love it. Couple weeks ago that guy at the show got ahold of me to let me know he got in some RC40's. I had to have one! It arrived yesterday. I'm hooked now!

Ishango

Ishango

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Good day. I'm new to CPF. I have always liked flashlights and owned tons over the years. Mag lights were about the best I had owned till last month. I met a guy at a trade selling Fenix lights. I loved those lights. So much better quality than the lights I have owned before. I bought a RC15 at the show. Love it. Couple weeks ago that guy at the show got ahold of me to let me know he got in some RC40's. I had to have one! It arrived yesterday. I'm hooked now!

You started with some very nice lights :twothumbs Fenix is a great manufacturer. They got me into this hobby as well (my first LED lights was a E20, quickly followed by the L1T-V2.0).

:welcome: and keep hold of your wallet :whistle:

Pellidon

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when CCrane came out with their first LED light and CMG had the white(ish/cat-pee green) Luxeon lights. That's when I found CPF and it has been downhill since. :tinfoil:

Sukram

Sukram

Newly Enlightened
I received my first light as a gift and from that moment I love flashlight so much.
Love at first sight:kiss:

C

Cosmic Charlie

Newly Enlightened
What really made me a flashaholic is when I first saw a led flashlight back in the late 1990's. I was always had an interest in flashlights before that, but was only limited to big ole' maglites. So that start everything for me.

C

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on a hog hunt about 4 years ago, and was using a Coleman white/red/blue LED light that ran on 3xAAA. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and what a bargain since I picked it up for $10 on sale. It would be cheaper to use than my 6P that, at the time, was sporting the stock P60 incan lamp.

Fast forward to dusk, and a friend shot a pig that then ran off into the woods. We all grabbed our flashlights from our packs and started to follow the blood trail.

By the time we got going it was dark. Not just dark, but OUT IN THE COUNTRY dark. The output of the LED was not enough to really see the blood trail well, and I noticed the LED had already begun to dim not too long into the search. Our guide had a Streamlight Super Tac which was stupid bright, and my friend had a G2 with a M60F drop in (could have been L or LL, but wasn't sure at the time). They blew mine away, and the lights stayed nice and bright through the 2 hours of searching.

I got home and ordered a Malkoff M61 for my 6P, and that was the start of my flashlight hobby. I now have way too many Surefires and Malkoff drop ins. I remember buying the M61 and thinking "well there's that!". Then I got a LL version for when I thought I might need to use the light for a long time without access to batteries, then I got a M61B on sale, then a M61L that was cheap in the MP, then a M61L 219 for the tint, then a M61 for the 6P on my rifle... It just keeps going.

Tracker II

Tracker II

Enlightened
I got online to find a replacement bulb for my Mini Maglite, ended up here, and now I'm $1000 poorer!

C

Chadder

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I have always liked flashlights but it was finding a website made by Doug P. named flashlightsreviews.com that made me a flashoholic and lead me here!!

degarb

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when CCrane came out with their first LED light and CMG had the white(ish/cat-pee green) Luxeon lights. That's when I found CPF and it has been downhill since. :tinfoil:

I remember well, listening to Art Bell, working all night. I think t'was 1998 or 1999, when CCrane were advertising led flashlights. All, while I was using $1 drugstore, throwaway, squeeze incan lights in my teeth for truck loading equipment during the night. The led runtime intrigued me but I imagined very dim/lux free light. The squeeze light avoided any unneeded runtime; it was fine for what I was using it.

NPR (National Public Radio) pegged (mistakenly) 1999 as the white led advent. But googling I found the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GW5GB6/?tag=cpf0b6-20 By 2003 or 04, after some LED NPR story, I suspected they were marching towards something practical (bright and long runtime) to be used daily. Investment and regular usage to follow 1-2 years later. Still, to this day, the low lux and short runtimes by many high end manufactures worry me. I don't use them to navigate, or look for stuff (where flood is fine); I use them to look at stuff. Staring, is my vocation; task-lighting is my advocation.

Last edited:
W

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
After I realized walking at night in darkness was a really bad idea, not being able to see what I step on.

T

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one thing - I've always been a bit of a geardo. I don't think it was until I started depending on my gear professionally that I began to appreciate the nuances - having four different Maglite incans crap out on a security gig in the middle of the Tucson desert drove the point home.

The US Army reinforced it.