What Flashlight did you bring to work today 9/11?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenOgo,

CMG's runtime claims are grossly exaggerated, at least with alkalines which is what most of the public will use in the Reactor. Try it for yourself and see.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
just my usual, Asp saphire on the keys and a Scorpion in the briefcase. I forgot to pack my PT Attitude, seems Kenogo is eye to eye with me on the LED issue, worth packing due to it's longer run time. BTW Ken, your non black body axiom makes a helluva lot of sense to me (been there, done that), so I've adopted it as my own and will start to tell everyone that it was my idea originally, hope you don't mind;^)
And I did have one question for you about night vision after reading your lost light during flight story. I know that a red light is usually the norm used to preserve night vision, but how does blue affect it? I have that Asp Saphire that's blue and in experimenting it seems to help preserve it but was wondering.

Finally, did anyone carry anything else extra with them today "just in case"?

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
geepondy,

Yea, I am sure you are right about the run times. I haven't had it long enough to test the battery life. I am certain it will be longer than anything else I have, I hope, and hope not to find out. But you have a good point! Still I liked the light and thought I would give it a chance to prove itself today. It seems like a tough little light that wont fail if I drop it in rubble or fall on top of it.

Does anyone have run times for a 2-AA LED light? That should give me a comparable run-time for my light. My thoughts are with limited use, you could make it several days with your light. You could could use it to signal for help, light your way, or if you have a surefire, you could even warm your hands - Surefires get HOT after a minute!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc-LE w/traser. Energizer DB 8AA in desk. In car on parking deck, Inova X5T, PT Surge, SF 6P and a Colt Pocket Nine with a 12Ga short barrel shotgun and 20 rounds of buckshot and slugs.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I was working at Ground Zero for the Red Cross, and we were NOT allowed to bring in bags, except for a small Fanny Pack

I carried 2 flashlights - a Photon III (white) on my keyring (replaced with a ARC AAA LE when I got home and found it waiting via UPS), the other was my Surefire E2

The E2 lead to an interesting conversation - One of the people working the site with my is a Queens County DAT member, and she gets called out all the time to do assesments in burned out buildings, and was complaining about the horrid flashlights the ARC gives them and she siad the had to get a "Maglight" - I took out the surefire and showed it to her (YES she shined it in her eyes) - She wants one!

It was a LONG day

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was at FOP Range, in Pleant Grove, AL. Do you know where that is?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh yeah, it's where they have the machine gun shoot every year. I am located between Montavallo and Centreville at the Six Mile area. I work in downtown B'ham.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I think Dim white and Red is most popular (in cars). I have not researched that in a while, so you just sparked an idea - I should experiment with blue, an green and red light at night. That is probably a whole 'nuther topic, indeed! Very good question! I will start researching that![/QB][/QUOTE]

Kenogo, will be awaiting your findings. It's just that I've seen green lighting used like in aircraft and vehicles (not nightvision equipment) and was wondering. I think the blue will work too, can't help but notice that whenever I've bought a flashlight that came with colored filters in the past, there was always one each of red, blue, green.

Hey Sunspot,
Sounds like you were ready. I had a Moss once, maybe one day I'll tell ya the funny story of how I parted ways with it. Aside from my lights, I just went with my regular carry (NAA .22 mag in pocket, .38 snub in car). Didn't really see myself in a position where I would need more than the usual protection against the goblins of the homegrown type.

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to every one for sharing your 9/11 "carry lights" They were all great and interesting choices. Heck I started this and I think I had the least amount of lights by only carrying my new CMG Reactor and an Inova White LED keychain light.

However in the car I had a Brinkman Legend LX, 2 Sam's Choice 2D and a Red Mag 3D. But they only would have helped if I could make it outside following a catstrophe, but I would have had spares for others to use!

This was also interesting because I am now reconsidering what to have on me, what to leave at home (which is a small arsenal of light), what to have in the car ( another arsenal of light), what to travel with and what to have at work. And of course special occaisions like yesterday where you come armed to the teeth with light in case of emergency.

rlhess

Enlightened
Since I've settled my pattern after 9-11-01, I don't look at any day as any more or less likely to have terrorist activity--or earthquake--or fire (Monday)--or...

So, my usual stuff (see sig) was all I had.

Oh, and I put out my flag...early.

Cheers,

Richard

KenOgo

Newly Enlightened
LOL! rlhess, you have a good point, AND an awsome arsenal of light!

bwcaw

Enlightened
Originally posted by KenOgo:
BigWuss,

What's an EYEFRYER? I have to know!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">An EYEFRYER is a 14.4v Makita worklight Amazon.com that I modified by taking out the little wussy resistor, and lamp, and putting a 100 watt 12 volt halogen in it. I got the lamp out of one of those rotating beacons like they have on police car light bars, and put a bayonet base socket in the light (it was originally PR base) and installed the lamp. With this mod I was able to make a light that eats M6's for breakfast, and Ultrastingers as a snack, and I didn't spend one red cent doing it either! I got the light for christmas with my drill, and the lamp, and socket I got out of an old rotating beacon that I had laying around.
grin.gif