What flashlight do you keep in your vehicle?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to keep a 123 light or 1xAA but found that the heat cycling even in So. Cal would degrade cell life that especially during summer the light was dead. Winter not as big a deal but going through 123 primaries was costly. Ceased having a light in the car.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Used to keep a 123 light or 1xAA but found that the heat cycling even in So. Cal would degrade cell life that especially during summer the light was dead. Winter not as big a deal but going through 123 primaries was costly. Ceased having a light in the car.
Mike you might try keeping the light in the glove compartment, or closer to the floor.
Do you use a solar reflective windshield cover?
I've used one for years in my Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis. I don't think the cover does a good job of reducing the overall heat gain, and therefore the temp inside the car, but it definitely does reduce the temp of the dash, and the AC ductwork, and the heat of the glove compartment.

That allows the AC to recover much quicker. Therefore in my opinion, it is worth the effort to put it in place before I leave my vehicle. If you kept your light in the glove compartment without a solar reflective shield, that might increase the heat build-up.

paramountz

Newly Enlightened
I keep my light in my bag. It gets quite warm in AZ not great for batteries.
IMG_2745.jpeg

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Working security at our church for VBS when we had a pretty serious squall blow through - high winds, thunder, lightning, torrential rain and some hail. Did some traffic control getting parrying an out of the property. Old Faithful did a great job!

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

deww

Newly Enlightened
Haven't been here in a while and I saw a message asking to me check this thread out!
Years ago I had one of those lighter socket flashlights. I don't know what happened to it.
These days, asides from what's on my keychain - an olight i3e eos, I have a few cheap rechargeable lights I found off Amazon. Will they survive in the heat? Probably not. They're like under 2$ a piece so hopefully they don't explode.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Working security at our church for VBS when we had a pretty serious squall blow through - high winds, thunder, lightning, torrential rain and some hail. Did some traffic control getting parrying an out of the property. Old Faithful did a great job!
Maglite does make good wands for their lights.

ckfey2156

Newly Enlightened
Maglite LED 2D Pro. D batteries just never seem to run out of power. Never had a quality battery leak either.

Reagan

Newly Enlightened
I usually keep a maglite in all cars because of how sturdy they are, and it was the thing to do in it's time, but if I need light, i'll more than likely be using my Olight i1R that is attached to all our keychains.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Currently I have a convoy C8 in my car. It has a punch through tight spaces in the engine compartment of the car, with enough candlepower to be used even in broad daylight.
Throwers are wonderful for that. When there is plenty of ambient light for general navigation and completion of normal tasks, the thrower will always be more useful for seeing in the dark corners.

Also, the C8 (and C8+) are excellent. You really don't need an M2 if you have the C8 and can deal with its extra head bulk, which ideally shouldn't matter for a vehicle torch.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a dedicated car light, but I always have my laptop bag with me and it has a RRT01 in it.

I have thought about stepping up to an HDS Rotary but haven't taken the plunge yet.

AlexLED

Enlightened
Hi, sorry for my late reply as well !!
Wow, lots of comments, tbh not read all, yet.

Frankly, for me there actually are 2 no-go for a flashlight which constantly stays in the car:

1. electronic switches
2. Li-Ion battery

Even if the current is low to very low, electronic swiches do tend to drain the battery, so I stick to clicky or twist hardware. :)

So, I have a couple of Convoy T3 in my cars and one old Jetbeam Jet-1 MK.

Li-Ion I consider too dangerous in case the car heats up and not as powerfull should it be way below freezing.

As rock-bottom backup I consider those AA (with Eneloop LSD of course !) sufficient. Frankly, I usually carry another,in most cases larger flashlight with me anyways. I try to remember to replace / recharge the Eneloops about once a year.
:)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Funny trip down memory lane, I came across this thread as I was checking my car torch, here it is.

Pelican M6, a classic for sure. It was a gift from KingSmono in 2006 perhaps, after I did him a favor. He hasn't been here in 8 years, but the light is still going strong, been in my trunk for all these years!

daloosh

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    806.1 KB · Views: 21

Mothman

Newly Enlightened
I keep an Olight Mini Marauder, a Baton 3 Pro and a Streamlight ProTac in the molle panel behind my seat(s) in my jeep. Usually have a Streamlight Micro USB in my gym bag with me and a i3 on my carabiner on my laptop bag. All subject and guaranteed to change lol..

300Z

Newly Enlightened
Modded Jaxman E3 with 5000K SFT40, 10 degree TIR and Convoy 5A driver.
But I always have my EDC with me at all times, Convoy S2+ Ti 18350 B35AM 6V2A driver.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
In my daily driver work truck:

-two Maglite ML50L's with 21700 adapters
-Surefire 6P or Malkoff MD2, whichever one isn't in my pocket
-Mini Maglite
-Solarforce L2M with Malkoff M31 and two AA's
-Sofirn HS20
-Fenix HL50
-two Milwaukee M12 work lights
-at least one other P60 light, can't remember which one at the moment

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Got a message in my inbox for this thread. Great info and I enjoy seeing others setups for their vehicles.

Thrunite Catapult Pro that rides in center console and Jetbeam RRT-01 that sits in a small bin by the cupholders. Also usually have my work light or whatever is in my backpack or EDC with me also.

1000009480.jpg

Latest posts