What is a combination of Carley Bulbs/reflector/socket that are equal to surefire?

ake

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Could someone tell me what are the combination of Carley Bulbs/ Aluminum Reflector/Socket that are equivalent to a surefire assembly?

I am looking for something that equivalent to:

P60
P61
P90
P91
MN10
MN11
MN20
MN21
X80

I want to try these combination on various DB (6 and 8 AA, Tec40 and some other lights to see which one works best for each

Thanks alot,

Ake

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is a combination of Carley Bulbs/reflector/socket that are equal to surefire?

And also which Carley bulb would be equivalent to the bulb in the E2 Surefire @ 60 lumens, or even better, one that would put out 75 or 90 lumens and fit without having to drill out the reflector.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Re: What is a combination of Carley Bulbs/reflector/socket that are equal to surefire?

You may want to go to:
http://surefire.com

You can find many combinations of illuminiation tools that would perform similarly to the lamps in question.
grin.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

The thing is- we are looking for less expensive Carley replacements for the very expensive Surefire bulbs and assemblies, not trying to buy the Surefire bulb assemblies themselves.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

You may want to invest is some 11-axixs computer numeric controlled manufacturing machinery so you can precision turn the aluminum reflectors to get the high quality beam, that way you can bring your overall costs down.

I think they weigh in at $750K to $1.5M a piece.
grin.gif

In case you did not know, I work for SureFire and I am pulling your chain a bit.
smile.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken J. Good:
...In case you did not know, I work for SureFire and I am pulling your chain a bit.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of thought you were.
rolleyes.gif

Love your products. Superbly designed and executed.

Not too thrilled with the cost of replacement bulbs. Something tells me that replacement bulbs is a larger profit center than the actual lights are. Especially the the E-2 since the reflector is fixed in the Bezel.

Personally, I'd prefer paying more for the lights themselves and less for "consumables".

But then, I'm well known for being a real cheapskate.
tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken also writes for a gun magazine, the name of which escapes me, in which the editor in chief now works on the sales team of SF. It's nice to know SF has knowledgeable weapon people working for them.

Size15's

Flashaholic

I'm told that SureFire have started to make flashlights that can be mounted on weapons such as firearms.

There have been discussions on why the lamp assemblies are expensive, and what SureFire is doing about it.
Basically, they are removing the reflector and integrating it into the Bezel, they are removing the spring contacts and in some cases, integrating them into the body.

The Spring Contacts and Reflectors are very expensive parts to throw away with a duff bulb.

Al

ake

Newly Enlightened

I got email back from Carley. As they are under a contract with Surefire, they cannot release any information redarding the product.

One way we can sort out is that we can measure the dimension of the reflector on Each surefire assembly. There are not many of them on the list so I think we should be able to make an educated guess. will need lots of help from a surefire owner thoug as I don't even have a single one.

We may not be able to get the surefire quality beam as previously posted without a $150K equiptment. At least it should give us an alternative to mix it by our choice. The main reason I am doing this is because I want to use the light with AA battery. 123 is impractical for me. Also as my life is not depending on a light (at least hope not), I don't need the best quality I can get. Anyway if surefire make a flashlight with AA version I will definitely jump on it.

The reflector costs about $5 each and the bulb cost about $6 plus about $1 for a sleeve so it run down to about $12-$15 rage, close to $10 cheaper. Maybe not a whole lot for trading with the beam quality.

The bottom line is hey it 's fun!

I will post the price list as soon as I get a permission from Carley.

ake

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

I USED to write for American Handgunner. My last column is in this month's issue.
The column name was Strategic Solutions.
The new chief editor stated that my column does not fit with the new direction of the magazine. He was really nice about it though!

"Fame is a bee. It has a song-It has a sting-Ah, too, it has a wing." Emily ****inson (1831-1886)

Cameron Hopkins USED to be the editor in chief. He is currently the vice-president of sales at SureFire.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken. Sorry to hear about AH. I liked your columns and thought they fit in well. Try Combat Handguns. Might be a good place for you.