What is a Mag85?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Question from a Mag85 noob:

One thing I am not understanding is how folks are charging their 9 NiMH cells. Is everyone using pack-type smart chargers (which I understand are superior). I have a bay-type (4) charger and I don't know the best way to get 9 NiMH cells charged evenly. Do I purchase 10 cells and overcharge the stuffing out of the non-used cell in the dumb charger, or can a 4 or 8 bay smart charger charge 10 cells in a convenient manner? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've read this thread twice and I can't see the best way of going about doing this without purchasing a pack-type charger.

Also, can anyone make a guess on the lumens from 9xAA Alkalines? I know the runtime will stink but my bulb lumens will go from ~1200 (NiMH) to ??? I can get them free until I can figure out a good NiMH solution without spending a lot of $.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I don't even have my Mag85 yet but I am trying to plan in case I come across some used battery / charger configurations in the Marketplace that would prove satisfactory.

Thanks,
K

Last edited:

CharlieHo

Newly Enlightened
Question from a Mag85 noob:

One thing I am not understanding is how folks are charging their 9 NiMH cells. Is everyone using pack-type smart chargers (which I understand are superior). I have a bay-type (4) charger and I don't know the best way to get 9 NiMH cells charged evenly. Do I purchase 10 cells and overcharge the stuffing out of the non-used cell in the dumb charger, or can a 4 or 8 bay smart charger charge 10 cells in a convenient manner? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've read this thread twice and I can't see the best way of going about doing this without purchasing a pack-type charger.

Also, can anyone make a guess on the lumens from 9xAA Alkalines? I know the runtime will stink but my bulb lumens will go from ~1200 (NiMH) to ??? I can get them free until I can figure out a good NiMH solution without spending a lot of $.

Sorry for the newbie questions, I don't even have my Mag85 yet but I am trying to plan in case I come across some used battery / charger configurations in the Marketplace that would prove satisfactory.

Thanks,
K

I've been visiting often, checking for answers to this question.

I'm hoping someone in the know will answer someday ;)

I'm not only unsure about the charging situation, I'm planning on using fivemega's 9>3d adapters( I would like the charger to plug directly into the 9-cell adapter), but also what battery would be most prudent with a Mag85. I know technology has changed since a lot of these threads were written.

I have most of the components for a Mag85, I just need to decide on what's gonna power this thing.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Boy is this an old thread.
I just got through putting together my mag85 and I couldn't be more pleased. I went with the FM 2.5 Throw Master head and it does throw. I'm also using the FM 9xAA battery holder that came with a male plug for charging. I just soldered it to my charger leads and plug it in my battery holder. I loaded it with Titanium 2700 batterys. Some like eneloop LSDs and some like Titanium 1800 high currents. I believe any quality AA ni-mh you want to use will be ok. If you want a long run time you may want to use 2500-2700 mha.
Billy

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
The most highly recommended batteries are Eneloops, followed by Sanyo 2700's. The Eneloops will provide a higher voltage (less voltage drop) while the light is on and will hold there charge better when the light is off (rated at 80% charge 12 months after charging). The Sanyo 2700's will have longer runtime (maybe 20% longer) as they are a higher capacity battery.

As for chargers, get a pack charger, way easier than removing the batteries from the holder all the time. You can use either a dedicated 9.6v charger if you only have the mag85 to charge, or get a hobby charger that will also charge Li-Ion batteries as well as NiMH packs of differing voltage.

Cheers,
Nova

Billy Ram

Enlightened
So far I'm getting good service out of the Titanium 2700s. Most don't give them as high a rating as the Sanyo 2700s but the Sanyos are 30% more expensive. I'm showing arround 2.3ah with the Titaniums at 3.2a. I don't believe the Sanyos are delivering 30% more than the Titaniums.
Billy

fanaticalflashlightfan

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone else who sells a complete modded 3d mag other that juancho/blackbearflashlights? I heard his prices are competitive, but $200-$300 is a little more than I'm looking to spend on a platform that started at $30. Please advise, thanks and sorry if this has been previously addressed; I didn't see where.

flashfiend

Enlightened
I am too lazy to post the links but the easiest way to make a Mag 3D into a Mag85 is to get the following

-Fivemega Bi-Pin Socket (Can use Kiu Socket also)
-Fivemega 3AA 3D Battery Adapter
-Borofloat lens from flashlightlens.com
-Fivemega Bi-Focal Reflector (Can use another metallic reflector)
-WA1185 Bulbs

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Is there anyone else who sells a complete modded 3d mag other that juancho/blackbearflashlights? I heard his prices are competitive, but $200-$300 is a little more than I'm looking to spend on a platform that started at $30. Please advise, thanks and sorry if this has been previously addressed; I didn't see where.
I don't believe you could build a m*g85 for $30! The last ones I built were arround $104.00 not counting the cost of the host.
9AA FM holder-------$39.00
Kiu kit---------------$12.00
WA 1185------------$6.00
Bi-Focal reflector----$20.00
Boro float lens-------$ 6.00
9ea. AA eneloops----$21.00
Total----------------$104.00
You will need a charger too.
Billy

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can reduce the price a bit by using 3xIMR26500 in a 2D Mag, filling the space with the ubiquitous PVC sleeve and doing a tail spring shortening mod. That costs about $50, vs. $60 for the 9AA holder and Eneloops. You might have to spend another $1 or so for a voltage drop resistor, especially when using the Kiu socket.

For the price-sensitive, you also can use a KD MOP reflector for about $15. However, I think that the extra money for the FM bifocal reflector is well-worth it.