What is a truly robust survival flashlight

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I think about robustness, there is one rather psychological aspect to it. I need to understand what is inside and why this would not fail.

I trust that Enrique did his job when he tested the aeon mk iii in the stratosphere, but his driver is a black box and I have no idea how it would perform in wet hot environment, for example.

I know that Henry is extremely dedicated to reliability, but the HDS is even more a black box to me, especially the rotary.

So I appreciate the hint to the fraz lights, I have completely forgotten about them. I will have to read more about qtc pills in various conditions though.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak or Malkoff then

There is a large Malkoff LLLL thread, I am seriously looking in this direction, with a 6p host with a zerorez or similar tail.

But there is also a matter of best cells. What type would survive the wildest range of environments

thermal guy

Flashaholic
For cells primary cells only. And single primary at that. I do not follow that advice but a single primary I think would be best for ultimate reliability.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
For cells primary cells only. And single primary at that. I do not follow that advice but a single primary I think would be best for ultimate reliability.

Primary - yes. But among them...

I don't remember seeing a thread that discusses 3.0v vs 1.5v lithium vs 1.2 nimh regarding their "bombproofness": which includes temperature range (not just freezing temps, but hot temps as well), vibration/shock resistance, humidity, etc

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no tests to point too, but I'd put my money on CR123s.
CR123's have probably been submitted to more shock and vibration in weapon mounted lights than any other cell (just a guess).
They've been used in wars in some pretty hot environments.
But for humidity, I think Alkalines can function longer after water exposure.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Malkoff drop in fail before, just quit working. Driver went kapoof, Gene replaced it of course. This was years ago. Anything that runs on a battery can fail. I've never had any issues out of my HDS's, I do not doubt they fail from time to time as well, although failure is rare for both brands. :shrug:
Gene always takes care of warranty issues. I'm glad you posted this.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was just kidding around no arguments here. Everyone knows Malkoffs are the toughest😂😂😂

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just kidding around no arguments here. Everyone knows Malkoffs are the toughest[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I was under the impression that streamligts are the toughest most baddest flashlight in the whole universe [emoji23][emoji16][emoji23][emoji16][emoji23]

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The problem with a question about what's the best, or the toughest etc etc is that much is based on opinion. Not facts. So that's what people should be giving for advice. I have/had many lights that are being discussed. I will not comment on others because I don't know what the hell im talking about. And imo stick with either Malkoff or elzetta and you really can't go wrong.

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would still go with a md3. It's the most versatile body. It can take a endless amount of battery combinations.