What is a truly robust survival flashlight

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes. You can probably do it with 90 percent of the lights out there with potted leds and circuits.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be also grateful to have some information regarding shock/vibration resilience of incand lights. For example the 6p, efc.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There tougher then you think. But one drop the wrong way and bulb blows. And it’s always when you need it. My first good light a E2E was my first work light. Dropped it all the time. 90 percent of the time it was fine. But 10 percent it wasn’t. That’s really not acceptable if you want the toughest you can get.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Should the best survival flashlight be, as the OP stated, bombproof, or, utilitarian?

For example, if I had to choose just ONE “survival” light, it would be the Waka Waka Power which which will recharge its internal batteries in the sun and provide a boost to some minor devices like a cell phone, assuming an EMP has not rendered either inoperative and assuming the former was protected properly in a Faraday cage.

Let me be forthright: most of us here have numerous lights, and maybe a bag we keep them in (or one we would at least throw a few in) if we had to bolt at a literal moment’s notice.

But if I could only have one light, having been given less than a literal second to spare to bug out, and had no time whatsoever to open my flashlight bag containing the Waka Waka Power because even microseconds were of the essence, it would be Olight’s i5T single AA-300-lumen light because it is as solid as a tank and even feels “heavy”.

I’d love to own a Malkoff and an Elzetta, and maybe one day I will, but until then the i5T is my choice although I’d be sorely tempted to grab the just as trustworthy Lumintop Tool 2.0 which will be 350-lumens brighter with a 14500! And in writing this why not forget those two, and just bring the Eagtac D25AAA and wear it on a lanyard because of its helpful SOS and Beacon modes, to name just two of several features?

Moreover, if a light did survive a bomb, would its owner likewise survive? So maybe the OP can clarify if they meant “bomb” as an incendiary device or as nuclear one.

Lastly, I have both a mental list and a written one of what to grab in a hurry if I needed to bolt in a flash. For example, a Tsunami hitting the east coast of the U.S. would reach a minimum of 55-miles inland; I live about 40 to 45-miles from the shore point.

So this thread and thinking out loud here has me thinking: what exact light or lights ought I duplicate pack in 3 very small bags for where I live, for where I work, and for the vehicle I drive?

Face it, each of us loves every single one of our lights or we would own just one! Decisions...decisions...

Am I the only one here who feels he tortures himself by thinking way too much?

LOL!

Sigh.

Be well.

- LetThereBeLight!

nbp

Flashaholic
“Am I the only one here who feels he tortures himself by thinking way too much?”

Nope. I have spent far too many hours obsessing over crazy hypotheticals just like you posted there. Haha

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
“Am I the only one here who feels he tortures himself by thinking way too much?”

Nope. I have spent far too many hours obsessing over crazy hypotheticals just like you posted there. Haha

Whew! Thank you, I was beginning to think I was the only one!

Just like after I watched my first X-Files episode 20 years ago, I was like, “You mean there are OTHERS out there as ‘paranoid’ or suspicious as I am? I gotta meet this Chris Carter!”

Hi, my name is LTBL!, I think way too much, and yes, I am also flashlight-obsessed...

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=system-ui, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, .SFNSText-Regular, sans-serif]someone told me this;

" I can tell from this photo alone... not good. Anytime there are soldered wires like that... "

?.
[/FONT]

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Photon II microlight? Not as impressive as many of the other lights mentioned here but back in the day its all I carried. For years. The damn thing just always worked and it got me through. Waterproof? Nope. Didn't matter, I took it biking in downpours, canoeing, you name it it always worked. Regulated driver? Nope, didn't need it. One set of CR2016 batteries lasted a couple years of EDC use. Could use a 2032 for a little better life and a little dimmer output.

Did it light up a barn? No it did not. But this is back when I thought my 3D Mag with Magnumstar bulb was more than bright enough (well, it actually was, too). I've actually been very tempted to swap out my AAA EDC for a Photon Freedom, except they just won't embrace any white LED that isn't an angry blue tint ;)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a survival light, I go with the opposite approach of many who have posted. I don't want a single level twisty light. For a survival light, I need a low with the longest runtime possible (1 month +), a medium bright enough to comfortably hike a trail all night (50 lumens for 12+ hours) without having to change the batteries, a high that can last as long as 8 hours (300+ lumens) for taking on a night shift for security should things get really crazy, and a turbo over 1000 lumens for spotting at a distance and signalling. I want the strobe, beacon, and SOS settings for emergency situations. The light has to be IP-X8 waterproof and able to take lithium batteries for bad weather conditions. I want it to have built in charging so I can charge it in the field with solar or in the car while travelling. This light should be a jack of all trades so it is the one I always have on me for any task. A survival light is useless if you left it at home because it didn't cover all your bases. Currently, my best survival light that fits my criteria is the Nitecore MH10 V2 with the Nitecore E4K in a close second.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I will disagree with you.

I have no idea how long, or what YOUR experiences have been with Streamlight, as you've not provided any such information, but I have had a 36 year (my first was an SL-20 in 1985) history (personally, even longer if I include my introduction to them on Ambulances and Fire apparatus) utilizing Streamlights, as a Paramedic/Firefighter.

Have I had Streamlights fail/not work?

Sure have.

Have I had SureFires amd Malkoffs fail/not work?

Sure have.

Overall I have found the vast majority of Streamlights I have, work appropriately for me, and for I would hazard a guess for hundreds of thousands of LEO's/FireFighters/EMS personnel.

I've been using SureFire's since the mid 1990's (1996) and Malkoffs since 2008 (looked up my first order, 04/08/2008, order #46), so while I know many here have more/longer experience with these brands, I feel pretty comfortable stating my support of/for Streamlight flashlights.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I’m going to agree that Fraz labs probably has the market for toughest light out there right now. Pretty sure the battery is the weakest link in them.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Simple, potted electronics, single cell, few moving parts.

Malkoff, Peak, Fraz, Fenix e01 v1

The one light that I would consider “bomb proof”, is my Peak Matterhorn single led SS; it feels like one solid piece of metal that happens to light up.

Waiting for my first Fraz labs light.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Honestly in a survival situation I maybe wouldn't need a switch but I would definitely want springs and multiple modes to preserve battery life and only call for the amount of light needed... Surefire G2X Pro or maybe those cheap plastic streamlights or pelican lights....

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
IMHO The Sofirn C01 Sophia has to be the most bombproof light out there! and it it takes AAA batts available almost anywhere and runs them down to almost nothing, and the only cost pocket change! (or they did, not sure if there`s any left now).
This will give you an idea of the bomb-proofness :D

parang

Newly Enlightened
I bought four or five i3E lights, an i5T and might even go on and buy AA headlamps like a Thrunite or Fenix. So, one is none. It doesn't matter if my light is indestructible, if I lose it, or it's stolen.

With that being said, I would like to know if Fraz ships internationally (EU)? :laughing:

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I posted this in another thread can’t remember which one but my 5 year old can break an anvil and she plays with my tiny tank from Fraz labs every single day. Bath and all. Absolute zero problems so far. That kinda says it all😁