What is best: L-AA, L91, Alkaline or rechargeable?

Commander

Enlightened
Hi CPF!

<font color="green"> I need your help! </font>

Here is the case:
I'll bee attending an army curse with excessive light restrictions. The only light allowed is the Mini Mag light. To get the best out of this situation I am looking at the Tektite LT-1 LED (it looks similar to the original led).

Here is the problem:
The LT-1 is only specified for 3V and the L91 I normally use (with NewBeam) is 3,4V.
Can I use batterystations L-AA or is a rechargeable battery better?

This is what I need:

1: Compatibility
2: Reliability
3: Long burn time
4: Cold weather tolerant
(Price is of no concern)

Regards

Commander

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
will you be around a ability to charge it?
just HOW cold ?

i think i would go with a lithium, long lasting, works in all kindsa weather, and not rechargable. no fuss no muss, be there when you needed it. especially if you like demolitions :)

what kind of run time VS Light output do you desire?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some great posts by silverfox above with test results for exactly what you are asking. - Alkaline Shoot out and rechargeable shoot out.

In quick overview terms
- All of the 2 x AA setups will run 2.5 - 3 volts under load
- At the current draws you are looking at (less than 1 amp), the L91 AA cells will be the best performing for run time under your stated conditions.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: What is best: L-AA, L91, Alkaline or rechargea

You could always be sneaky and put a resistor in the tailcap to drop any excess voltage that lithium AAs would put out. It could be made to be removable also. I *think* there are also some resistors switch tailcaps out there you can buy that fit mags also.