• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What is next for the Lunasol?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys Lets use our powers of imagination here. What is next for the Lunasol concept?

OK I am going to guess that instead of making a single cell Lunasol 27 with all of those 27mm custom reflectors..I am guessing that Don has a 2 cell version planned.

So in the end I am guessing that the range will look like this:
Lunasol 27 single cell (no more made)
Lunasol 27 with a 2 cell pack.
Lunasol 20 with a single cell pack. (Don has said that this will be his focus).

Since Don is clearly looking for a suitable driver set for these I wonder what we will see in the future. I suspect that Don will stick to the KISS 2 level mode. Why mess with perfection? What about more dynamic range? a lower low? IMHO after using both Lunasols for a time I do not think the LOWS need to be any lower. The Lunasol 20 has a high which is just about right because the runtime is fantastic.
The Lunasol 27 with a 2 cell body could use a little more juice in the high mode and this can be done while still having a good runtime.

OK Guys all of this is pure conjecture worse than vapor. Heck Don surprised us with the Lunasol 20 (at least me anyway) Why not a little combination wishful thinking mixed with some educated guesses and some prior experience...
What do you guys think?
Hell what do you want?
To be frank I am not sure that I would be in for a 27mm 2 cell Lunasol. I have some of Don's 27LT's and they are neglected for the most part. Looking for a need to fill (as are so many other lights in my collection). The form factor of a 2 cell light with a large 27mm head is not at the top of my list.
(I am eyeing one of the new Optimus UA2's from surefire when they come out...)
Well guys what do you think? Would you be in if Don offered a 2 cell Lunasol in the 27mm form factor?

For me I am looking for and have found a perfect little utility light in the Lunasol 20/27.
Call me crazy but the way Don designs and builds these lights I find it amazing why anybody would ever have to buy another. They are quite literally Lifetime flashlights. Believe me I can't answer this question. I really like the Don designs his flashlights. He builds them extremely well to boot. I still can't figure out why I need more Or if I do need more of them.

Yaesumofo
Yaesumofo

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
You, really, really, really like your LunaSols don't cha?? :laughing:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even have one yet! I'll play though!

If were talking about the future? I'd like to see two things: allowing the use of RCR123's in future waves and a L20 twisty wave.

L20 head + Twisty X RCR123 = Glorious Win!

skcheng

Newly Enlightened
I don't even have one yet! I'll play though!

If were talking about the future? I'd like to see two things: allowing the use of RCR123's in future waves and a L20 twisty wave.

L20 head + Twisty X RCR123 = Glorious Win!

Aren't the Lunasols with PD considered twisty? They're definitely not clicky :shrug:

I would like to see an LS 20 or LS 22? 24? with a ring of 4 LEDs and possibly a brighter bright. I like the high output on the LS27 better than the high on the LS20.

The LS27 can utilize RCRs, and that would be a nice option for the LS 20 MK II, and I guess that might happen based on the boards sourced.

Lastly, I think it would be great to have a center beam only option. Have no idea whether that would be possible???

These are all minor requests considering the LS series of lights are my favorites thus far :twothumbs

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys Lets use our powers of imagination here. What is next for the Lunasol concept?

I really like the Don designs his flashlights. He builds them extremely well to boot. I still can't figure out why I need more Or if I do need more of them.

Yaesumofo
Yaesumofo

Couldn't agree more MOFO!!
CIMG2760.jpg
CIMG2763.jpg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I know this is counter to the spirit of the OP, but, I would like to see 3 or 4 waves of LunaSol 20's exactly like what I have. In my opinion, the LS20 is the greatest EDC yet made, and I want more people to be able to experience this amazing little light.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
R123 Support....

And make the Red die in the Dragon light up with a 3 rd stage.
Maybe Peter Gransee or Henry (HDS) can make a converter.
That is if Wayne cant make some more converters.

I just love my Ra Twisty,and i use the Red Low on it all the time,every night actually.
Getting this incorporated into the Lunasol 20 would be king :thumbsup:

Now where did i leave my Lunasol 20...
:candle:

Dont have one,but im hoping to catch the next wave..

Sable

Enlightened
I think I'd be in for an LS27 2-cell. I adore the LS27 that I have, and I think the head and weight are just about perfect. I'm definitely with Mofo on two level KISS - not only is it a robust mechanical connection (meaning simpler access to the levels), but two beams, two levels works just fantastically.

I mean to follow the Lunasol development from here, but I have to say that owning a 27, I'm not hugely inclined to jump in for a 20, at least not yet. I like the big head! :nana:

Now, a Lunasol 38...hm........you might be onto something, Soup...

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea how you guys carry those big heads in your pockets...
:D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't agree this is perfectly within the spirit of my original post.
I agree that It would be great to get more Lunasol 20's and 27's into the hands of end users. and that the Lunasol is a fantastic light just as it is.
One thing I have learned about Don and the way he does things. Little or nothing about his lights is there or done by accident. It is there purely by design. Sometimes these designs change along the way due to forces beyond his control. The Lunasol 20 is no exception. Pure utility by design.
Yaesumofo

Well, I know this is counter to the spirit of the OP, but, I would like to see 3 or 4 waves of LunaSol 20's exactly like what I have. In my opinion, the LS20 is the greatest EDC yet made, and I want more people to be able to experience this amazing little light.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I edc a Lunasol 27 I do it on a lanyard around my neck. This keeps the light right where I need it most. At the ready well within reach. A Art of the hide case might work well here except that I would want to holster carry the Lunasol 27 bezel down. I haven't seen a bezel down holster for one yet. They may be out there I just haven't seen one yet.
Yaesumofo

I have no idea how you guys carry those big heads in your pockets...
:D

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well, ....I would like to see 3 or 4 waves of LunaSol 20's exactly like what I have. .....

Cool, one of you will get his wish! :nana:

For a number of reasons, I think the LunaSol 20 platform is the one I will focus on for the near future. Although I prefer the efficiency of the NexGen converter over the GD because I don't use R123's I believe the GD or a similar type buck/boost has more overall appeal and that would be my choice of converter, if available. There will be more LunaSol 20's with the NexGen first though, of that I am certain. Beyond that. :shrug:

charlesn

Enlightened
Call me crazy but the way Don designs and builds these lights I find it amazing why anybody would ever have to buy another. They are quite literally Lifetime flashlights. Believe me I can't answer this question. I really like the Don designs his flashlights. He builds them extremely well to boot. I still can't figure out why I need more Or if I do need more of them.
Yaesumofo

:crackup: This is CPF, James--since when did "need" ever figure into a purchasing decision around here? You're right--you don't ever "need" another light--but I'll bet that at some point you'll "want" one--or more. Don's lights are built for a lifetime of use doing exactly what they were intended to do. But then newer lights come along and do it "better" in some way. So the McLux III-PD leads to the McLux III-Ti to the Ti-PD to the Ti-PD-S to the Ti-PD-S Mizer to the Lunasols. Does that mean you couldn't be getting by just fine on the illumination provided by an original III-PD? Of course not. You just "want" the improvements offered by the latest McGizmo tools, and there will always be a new and "better" light on the horizon.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right I do want the advantages of the latest designs.
I hate to say it But IMHO the single beam light like the TIPD or even my beloved original McLuxIII PD has been eclipsed by the utility of the Lunasol concept as a whole.

I used my stock black pd everyday until Don modded it to -S and mixed mode. I then used it a whole bunch after that mod was done for quite a while.
That light has been replaced in my EDC rotation by my First Lunasol 20. Do I regret the change?
NO the Lunasol 20 has better run time more beam choices and is easily just as bright. What did I give up? What did I gain? A whole lot.
So Yes I do want what ever is the most current. The problem now is How can the Lunasol 20 get any better and will I "NEED" those improvements? (if any are made).

Look I have become fussy and very picky. Any light I buy or trade for today has to be a light which I will use. I have NO, ZERO, NONE, desire to spend good money on a light which is going to sit and gather dust. NO more are the days that I will drop a couple hundred on a light because it looks cool or has a bunch of features. I know for example that I will be buying a Surefire UA2 when they become available and if they have all of the features which are described in the catalogue. This will be my Bailout bag flashlight. It is full of utility.
There are other lights which are becoming available on the market which are cool and even would fit into my "collection" BUT since they will do nothing but gather dust instead of fingerprints I will be passing unless some crazy deals present themselves.
My point is that I really want lights which I can and will use. Not lights which I will not use. I have enough of those already.
Yaesumofo

:crackup: This is CPF, James--since when did "need" ever figure into a purchasing decision around here? You're right--you don't ever "need" another light--but I'll bet that at some point you'll "want" one--or more. Don's lights are built for a lifetime of use doing exactly what they were intended to do. But then newer lights come along and do it "better" in some way. So the McLuxIII-PD leads to the McLuxIII-Ti to the Ti-PD to the Ti-PD-S to the Ti-PD-SMizer to the Lunasols. Does that mean you couldn't be getting by just fine on the illumination provided by an original III-PD? Of course not. You just "want" the improvements offered by the latest McGizmo tools, and there will always be a new and "better" light on the horizon.

Last edited:

Latest posts