what is the deal with Akaline leakage?

ncbill

Newly Enlightened
I've lost at least 3 Mini-mags to leaking AA alkaline cells.

For primary AA, I now buy Energizer lithiums from ebay in bulk (about $1.25 each)

I use LSD NiMH AA where I can.

I've had plenty of consumer grade alkalines leak in package, so I now only buy industrial branded alkaline (Duracell Procell, Energizer Industrial)

By using battery size adapters I no longer need to buy C cells (AA+adapter) or 6V lantern (4D+ adapter) batteries.

For D cell batteries I buy Duracell Procells off ebay in bulk (about $1 each)

Because of their limited capacity compared to AA, I do my best to avoid using AAA cells and don't have any critical devices that use them (just a few direct-drive LED flashlights)

irlmarko

Newly Enlightened
I've had to toss a few lights at work due to people leaving the batteries in them. One of my tasks at work is to maintain response carts with flashlights on them (14 carts with 4 lights on each). It's frustrating to have to throw out expensive lights over a stupid oversight on someones part. Most of the batteries I've found that were leaking were at the end of their stated shelf life (Energizer Industrials).

Someone mentioned in passing to me that I should keep the batteries in a baggy. Thoughts ? I keep the batteries seperated from the lights now.

Thanks.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the batteries are seperate from the lights, a plastic bag would be good to have. I always leave batteries in the original box or the plastic box holder that comes with rechargeable Energizers, as it prevents uncontained leaks and shorts.

I would even venture to say maybe you can consider putting the batteries (in the lights) in plastic and having the user rip it out before use. Though that would probably not be of much use if the batteries swell...

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have RayoVac Alkies leak? I find all Alkaline batteries last about the same and the Rayovacs work fine. I can't recall them ever leaking.

I use several LSD rechargeables, but Alkaline batteries are great for some applications.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had some Rayovac alkalines start to leak after I put them in my battery recycling bin.

The Rayovac cells were Made In China OEM cells that came with the last 2xAA Sportsman Xtreme light I bought.

Newly Enlightened
This is probably a stupid question but where exactly do alkalines leak from? Does the acid just weep through the metal?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
no alkaline D cells has ever leaked in my Mag 4D.
I check the batteries once every few months and make sure the voltage is still over 1.5V, and its been a couple of years already without incident. It stays in the car which is never garaged, meaning it suffers from extreme cold to extreme heat, i must be a luck dude. *not sure for how much longer though * haha

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is probably a stupid question but where exactly do alkalines leak from? Does the acid just weep through the metal?

Given that they're alkaline batteries, I highly doubt that an acid will be involved in the leakage at all.

That said, I'm pretty sure the leakage would be due to the electrolyte (KOH if I'm not mistaken) corroding the casing.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frequent use! That's the most important thing to remember if you must use them, I have never had cells leak that got at least 10 seconds of use every month or so "just keeps the internals moving, so to speak". I have a few old plastic lights I flip on for a few seconds every few weeks and they have never gave me problems, however lights left dormant for a few months can quickly lead to leakage:sick2:.

Anyone have RayoVac Alkies leak? I find all Alkaline batteries last about the same and the Rayovacs work fine. I can't recall them ever leaking.

As tested by some CPFer in another thread RayOvacs actually did better then both Duracell and Energizer in runtime test so, they really are not a compromise:thumbsup:, and I have had only one set leak on me, and that was the 2x AAAs in my Minimag after dropping the light once every other day for over a year:ohgeez: "so I don't exactly blame them:rolleyes:!"

tylernt

Enlightened
The Duracells I had leak didn't really leak a liquid per se, there was just a white flaky crystalline fuzz growing all over everything. As I recall they leaked mostly -- and perhaps even only -- from the negative end. Some of the deposits had crept along one of the wires headed towards the circuit board of my device, like it was on a mission to kill.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
This is going to sound strange, but the Asda Supermarket own-brand Alk batteries seem to fair better than Duracell in most of the things I've used. I have a radio controlled Dalek that spends a lot of time on the shelf and only gets taken down now and then - the Duracells didn't seem to happy and leaked within 3 months, whereas the Asda cells are quite happy and it's been just over a year on this set.

The same has to be said for my cheap flashlights (before I became an NiMH convert and then started my Flashaholcs Education) - Asda cells bought in cheap multi-packs outlasting Duracells and not leaking. I don't know who actually makes the Asda cells, but I always favour them over Duracell now, as they seem more robust and although the actual capacity isn't quite as high they are about 1/5th of the price.