What is the Most Efficient, Powerful, Safe Acid to Neutralize Alkali Compounds...?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten that split C ring out of mag tubes with screwdrivers before, on D mags, the early ones had a taper at the ends. looks like the new ones make it harder. I still dont have proper split-ring tools, but have not met one yet, that cant be Spun twisted and snagged, with 2 screwdrivers, or in this case a screwdriver and a bent pick kinda tool. All things that can be made up with a hacksaw and a grip tool . . . given enough time :)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO lemon juice smells WAY better than vinegar. :p

^Thats why the idea of using vinegar for window cleaning and general household cleaning isnt something I will try again! Granted, the smell disappears as soon as it dries out, but it stinks while its still wet!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using white vinegar for years to clean and sterilize my wooden chopping board and bench tops, as it`s safe to eat food off it, unlike virtually all normal disinfectant cleaning sprays, just look at the warnings on the back of the bottle, it does smell, but only until it`s dried, and because of the other benefits i am prepared to put up with this.

John.

^Thats why the idea of using vinegar for window cleaning and general household cleaning isnt something I will try again! Granted, the smell disappears as soon as it dries out, but it stinks while its still wet!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It might be a bit late, but, don't use alkaline batteries in your lights because they can leak and ruin your light. (I know, you GOT IT that way...)

For the mags...Nimh is a better way to go for performance, preservation of the light, and economy in not having to buy new disposables all the time, etc.

:D

I'd rather use vinegar than lemon juice for the flashlight, mostly because the potassium hydroxide (Original leaking electrolyte) reacted with the carbon dioxide in the air to form potassium carbonate crystals....and, acetic acid (vinegar) and that produces more of a buffer solution than reaction with citric acid, and all the stuff IN lemon juice, such as sugars, etc.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this last night, and I thought I had the answer back in the corner of my mind, but I couldnt remember what it was. Then after I got home from work, coincidence struck, and I saw it....The TV commercial for CLR.

I would think that a solution of CLR would be one of the best things for this task, as its designed to break down alkaline substances like calcium, lime or even rust(hence the initials C-L-R!)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
CLR was specifically mentioned in one of the five threads I linked to in the first post; I even googled it and read some reviews.

I don't have (the) proper tools at my disposal, and if there is a chance this stuff might loosen the switch retaining ring,
I may be bold enough to try it.

I do wish I had the spanner; if someone has one for sale or trade, please email me.

I can't justify $50.00 for the whole kit when all I need is the wrench.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have (the) proper tools at my disposal, ...

I do wish I had the spanner; if someone has one for sale or trade, please email me.

Can you post a picture? We may be able to suggest a way to improvise.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the stuck switch retaining ring, or the special wrench?

EDIT: Mr Happy, the little green dot says you are still on.

I'll refresh the page and check back here in a few...

NCF8710

Newly Enlightened
I use dilute (2%) phosphoric acid to remove the alkaline residues followed with a thorough rinse with deionized or distilled water. Phosphoric acid is odorless and nontoxic in dilute solutions (CocaCola contains dilute phosphoric acid) and is effective.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll never use alkaline cells in any important or valuable device.

Nubo

Enlightened
CLR was specifically mentioned in one of the five threads I linked to in the first post; I even googled it and read some reviews.

I don't have (the) proper tools at my disposal, and if there is a chance this stuff might loosen the switch retaining ring,
I may be bold enough to try it.

Do please stop faffing about. Those batteries are trying to swell to much larger size than the tube. And corroded Aluminum also expands to a much greater volume than Aluminum metal. The same thing happens to aluminum bicycle seat posts that become seized within steel bicycle frames. Sometimes you just have to break down and remove the swollen object mechanically in bits.

If you don't have a drill, a rock and a long rusty screwdriver would probably suffice. Pierce the cells, relieve the pressure and remove the goo and then you should be able to work the metal shells out. Wear eye protection.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
For ones which aren't too far down the tube, a hammer, long woodscrew and pliers might be useful.
With a reasonable-length screw I managed to pull out an AA which had corroded itself into a mini maglite by hammering and then screwing the screw into it and pulling.
Possibly that would work for the 2nd (and 3rd?) cell in a C cell light?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh dear, that light looks wrecked.

I think the only plan is to remove the bulb/switch assembly and then knock the batteries out with a broom handle.

For the switch assembly, it looks like the locking ring might be corroded in place and that's why it won't turn. I think I would drizzle CLR calcium, lime and rust remover around the ring from the top and wait until the fizzing stops, rinse with plenty of water, dry thoroughly with a hair dryer, then flood it with WD40 and leave to soak overnight. The next day, make another attempt to turn the locking ring with a hammer and punch (as it looks like you have already attempted to do).

If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the batteries out the tail end using an augur. Once the batteries are out you should be able to get the switch assembly out the same way for disassembly and clean up.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh dear, that light looks wrecked.

*sigh*

I wish it weren't so.

Mr Happy said:
I think the only plan is to remove the bulb/switch assembly and then knock the batteries out with a broom handle.

Bingo. That's why I was focusing on removing the switch retaining ring. Plan is to knock 'em out, top down.

Mr Happy said:
For the switch assembly, it looks like the locking ring might be corroded in place and that's why it won't turn.

Agreed 100%.

Mr Happy said:
I think I would drizzle CLR calcium, lime and rust remover around the ring from the top and wait until the fizzing stops, rinse with plenty of water, dry thoroughly with a hair dryer, then flood it with WD40 and leave to soak overnight.

Do Home Depot or Lowe's carry CLR? Or I am stuck ordering online? I may go for a drive and I could stop by later this evening.

Mr Happy said:
The next day, make another attempt to turn the locking ring with a hammer and punch (as it looks like you have already attempted to do).

Correct again—good eye, Mr Happy. I marred the little holes where the official Maglite tool is supposed to go. I don't own any long screwdrivers, so I had to borrow one; I am loathe to risk breaking someone else's equipment.

Mr Happy said:
If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the batteries out the tail end using an augur. Once the batteries are out you should be able to get the switch assembly out the same way for disassembly and clean up.

Agreed.

Thanks, Mr Happy. :)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, thanks guys.

I boiled the top of the light for 15 minutes and my hand is smarting from gripping the tube.

I was able to rotate the tower, but not the retaining ring.

I don't have tools with enough torque to reach in and firmly grasp the two little holes.

Aquanaut

Newly Enlightened
My chemistry background says that you should use baking soda. It is quite safe and according to wikipedia:

"Many laboratories keep a bottle of sodium bicarbonate powder within easy reach, because sodium bicarbonate is amphoteric, reacting with acids and bases. Furthermore, as it is relatively innocuous in most situations, there is no harm in using excess sodium bicarbonate."

I use it all the time to neutralize the top of my car battery when cleaning it up. It should do admirably cleaning up the "base" properties of your alkaline batteries. Plus, you can go bake a cake.
:grin2: