What is the purpose of UV flashlights?

sparkyv

Newly Enlightened
What is the purpose(s) of UV flashlights? I use my flashlight to look for bedbugs between the hotel matress and boxspring. Does a UV light help in this respect?

Ocelot808

Enlightened
In addition they're great for charging up the lume on my watch.
You beat me to the punch, Orca Twin.

Seriously if you are suspecting bedbugs in your travel lodgings, it's time to really step up your hotel budget and stop worrying.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Defiant 3AAA UV flashlight I got at Home Depot (but don't see them there anymore) claims to detect scorpions by making them glow. No scorpions around here but light may be useful in some locations.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
From an earlier thread (somewhere) there was mention of UV usefulness for detecting blood, urine, and various substances depending on the wavelength. Other fun uses include lighting up day-glo posters and all sorts of ordinary objects and materials which fluoresce to varying degrees.

Dave

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love that guys youtube channel .he gets abit dramatic somedays but he is smart as hell

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion's skin are said to glow in UV
(never been able to test myself) ;)
and as this seems to be such a curiosity:
Do "normal" bugs even glow under UV?
Does this "test" in a hotel makes sense?
Have You ever found anything
🤔

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure bedbugs do not glow in uv. you wont find many stains on sheets either, cuz white sheets themselves glow. soap residue glows,
I use UV for target illumination, i get uv fluorescent balloons, fill them with paper punch circles, 2-3 spoonful's, white printer paper glows pretty bright, than i shine uv on them, when you pop them the punch circles create very cool effect.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure bedbugs do not glow in uv. you wont find many stains on sheets either, cuz white sheets themselves glow. soap residue glows,
I use UV for target illumination, i get uv fluorescent balloons, fill them with paper punch circles, 2-3 spoonful's, white printer paper glows pretty bright, than i shine uv on them, when you pop them the punch circles create very cool effect.
Can you get a video of that? Sounds like fun but who cleans it up?