What is the Rolex of Flashlights?

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Not the movement that's the issue. You can have a complex or simple one. Doesn't matter. The oil inside needed on all mechanical watches, after 25 years, you're guaranteed that's it's going to be a thick syrup-like mess. Just saying. Don't be shocked at the massive price the watcher-maker quotes you to completely restore it properly.
All three of my watches will be fully serviced before gifted and it's their choice if they want a full polish. I have no problems with the cost.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If it's just the oil, then what's the problem with flushing it and adding new oil yourself? Maybe even something silicone that doesn't harden over time
It's a watch, not a car. It doesn't work that way. You try flushing it, and you'll destroy the incredibly tiny parts on the inside of it. And by tiny, I mean barely two notches above microscopic. They are delicate and fragile. Cleaning an encrusted mechanical wrist-watch takes skill, time, and patience.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If it's just the oil, then what's the problem with flushing it and adding new oil yourself? Maybe even something silicone that doesn't harden over time
Sounds somewhat reasonable, but one of the most important thing about mobius oil is that it's non-creeping and won't migrate anywhere else in the watch. Anything on the flywheel spring is problematic, and shows up from time to time when people work on their own watches.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have worn my Rolex Explorer for twenty five years pretty much every day. To date, it has never been serviced and it usually gains a couple of minutes a month.
Running fast is evidence of friction in the balance, causing a shorter rotational arc. Should be at least checked ever 4-5 years and generally cleaned every 4-10 years, depending on how it looks during inspection.

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
No you are correct in your explanation.
You Watch collectors or just curious are welcome to join me at Watchforum.com. It's free to register and there is no cost to you. I'm Daven over there. Come and check it out.
Thanks Dave, I will!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had both.

Special forces, world leaders, and anyone successful in life wears Rolexes. Rolex is far more ethical than GShock in regards to labour.
Just asking out of curiosity. What's the story behind Casio's ethical practices?